Quantcast

VW engine cad drawing request

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

billyvray

True.
I'm looking for the more common type 1 and type IV style VW engine drawings, like those from Great Plains and Aerovee.

rtfm

Hi,
For an engine which is so ubiquitous, one would think we'd be knee-deep in 3-Views - but I have also failed to turn up a single CAD drawing...

Good luck,
Duncan

Wim Dednam

Dear billyvray

I have also been looking desperately for an accurate 3D CAD VW Boxer Engine model, so much so that my dad picked up a throw-away unit (incomplete) a few years ago that we stripped so that I can reverse-engineer (draw) the parts. Unfortunately, in the intervening time I was so busy that I could not get very far… Nevertheless, I spent a few days recently drawing the Cylinderhead, Barrels & Crank in Solid Edge (v 20) and have made good progress, but that said, it is a very time-consuming activity.

VW 000 101 101 A Engine.jpg

I can just marvel at the guys that had to design/build these parts in the first place - way back without any 3D CAD!
That said I do need help. I do not have access to a Co-ordinate Measuring Machine or 3D Scanner, thus all the measurements are made with a Ruler and a Vernier Caliper and it would be great if some of the guys also interested/knowledgeable can review the dimensions - one can only work within limited accuracy, measuring things as I did - especially guys working in engine reconditioning workshops that will have knowledge & experience of the exact dimensions for some of the parts.
I will attach PDF drawing with critical dimensions, but I think one should bear in mind that the objective is to create a 3D CAD model that will allow one to place the engine in a project (aircraft, buggy etc.) so that one can assess positions/clearances for bodywork & ancillary components. The parts as drawn are not to be used as "blue prints" for reproduction parts, and I can make no claim as to the accuracy or the fit for use of the 3D models.
So if there are experienced engine builders/machinists out there that can help me in refining the models it would be great. I will release (upload) the parts in Parasolid and STEP formats as soon as we can have some consensus on some critical dimensions.
It would also be useful to get the correct part numbers & engine information of the parts as detailed in the attached PDF drawing.
The attached PDF drawing details the dimensions that are outstanding (for now).

Best regards to all,

Wim

NOTE: Just another comment, don’t you guy's think it strange that manufacturers of engines (and engine conversions) do not offer their engines in 3D CAD formats so that project builders/designers can readily use it in new projects, and so create more demand/sales for their engines? I would think they would fall over themselves to get their engine mock-ups in the hands of product designers!

Attachments

BenoitLescot

Waow awesome job Wim, I've been searching myself for simple stock Rotax 3d models, but was rather surprised to find nothing, so I built a block model from 3 views and pictures but it's really time consuming, well done you !

taildragger

NOTE: Just another comment, don’t you guy's think it strange that manufacturers of engines (and engine conversions) do not offer their engines in 3D CAD formats so that project builders/designers can readily use it in new projects, and so create more demand/sales for their engines? I would think they would fall over themselves to get their engine mock-ups in the hands of product designers!
Likely they even never thought about this potential

Justin1

There are some good PDFs with dimensions at the Limbach site.

I am working on a modified Aerovee CAD model myself for a Staaken Flitzer project, and will probably model the standard one too. I would like to make the same standard of model as UL Power offer of their UL260 engine.

Justin1

Hi Doug,

I am getting some cooperation from Aerovee, and have undertaken not to distribute them myself. However, I am pretty sure they will make them available to potential customers. I guess they might make a small charge, as they do with their assembly DVD, but IS a small charge and the DVD cost counts against the purchase price of the engine.

I have been looking at a lot of VW conversions. The Revmaster seems to be about the strongest, the Limbachs are very attractive (some have too much ancilliary clutter for my purposes), but the Aerovee looks to be a really great value package. Unlike most uses, where a long streamlined cowl is preferred, the new Flitzer Goblin variant needs a very short firewall to prop dimension. The Aerovee offers the easiest solution with few modifications, and is already a well proven powerplant.

I hope to have a fairly complete CAD model, at least dimensionally accurate externally with all sevice points, mounting features and connection flanges correct, within a month or so. I will not add uneccesary detail, as this slows CAD systems on modest computers.

Cheers,

Justin

marcsil

Hello Wim.
great job!!!
I wonder if you have a sketch with measurements of the case, so maybe that way we can supplement the final drawing,
I use AutoCAD and Solid Works

I'm trying to project a half motor w/starter

thanks

rdj

Also have a look in the Files section of the AirVW group on Yahoo. (You might need to join the group to get access). There are some dimensioned 3-views and DXF drawings in there. No CAD model though.

Armilite

ROTAX CAD FILES

Waow awesome job Wim, I've been searching myself for simple stock Rotax 3d models, but was rather surprised to find nothing, so I built a block model from 3 views and pictures but it's really time consuming, well done you !
Hello:

I have been looking for some CAD DXF, DWG, SLD.PRT, STEP?IGES, etc. I found some front and one side view
for 447UL, 503UL, 582UL, at:

http://www.aviagamma.ru/dxf.html

Letecký motor ROTAX 447 UL | TEVESO

You may want to check out a FREE, fairly new 3D CAD site:

Welcome stranger, sign-in - GrabCAD

I'm looking for a 3D Model for a 582UL/583/617/618UL/670 head and a 582-670 Block.

If you find any please send the link or model to Armilite@aol.com

Rich Gillen
Ames, IA
USA

deskpilot

Morphett Vale, South Australia. Just south of Adel
I needed an engine for my design so I went looking on Google SketchUp. Found a couple of reasonable models, took the best bits (thanks to the original modellers), corrected mistakes, added a few other bits and came up with this:

SketchUp model Ultralight aircraft engine.jpgEngine for Ultralight2.jpgEngine for Ultralight.jpgEngine for Ultralight3.jpg

It's not 100% accurate but its a start. I'm now reworking it for my pusher design. I will up load the model to the SketchUp Warehouse when I remember my Google sign in details. It's a bugger getting old and the memory fails, ain't it!.

Allan62

Hi Justin,
Did you ever get around to finishing the CAD model of the engine. It would be great to be able to place this in my Rhino model.

Regards
Allan.