• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Vibrations/Flutter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperCritical

Seeing the other older post made me curious.

When designing a wing structure (or aircraft in general) do people typically try to make the structure stiffer thereby raising the fundamental frequency out of what would normaly be the frequency of the driving force or do they try to damp the vibrations to avoid flutter??? Not being a structures guy maybe I'm just totaly clueless but can someone please explain how flutter (not control surfaces) is typically avoided.

I've been told Kevlar is extreamly good at damping vibrations. If true, why are wing spars not made from Kevlar?

When designing the wing how do you determine the resonant frequencies? I know how to do it using FEA, but even then it is not trivial and in my experience requires knowing the frequencies and tailoring the FEA model to match rather than a prediction type capability.

Thanks

Back