UL training

Discussion in 'The light stuff area' started by ryanjames170, Sep 25, 2018.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Sep 28, 2018 #41

radfordc

radfordc

radfordc

Seems like he's doing what he wants to do, and will continue to do so until someone with a badge says stop.

2. Sep 28, 2018 #42

TFF

TFF

TFF

How deep the guy flying the quicksilver is taking it depends. If it has an N number, fat UL LSA, he dodged a big bullet. Taking money for instruction, well ya know. He could have the waver. He does not have to flaunt it, just have it. If the plane is legal and he has a ppl, you can get payed for demonstrating an aircraft for sale. If you demonstrate it 20 times to one person and they pickup how to fly in that time, it is just matter of fact. If he is really doing all of it completely illegal, he will get slammed one day, just not today.

3. Sep 28, 2018 #43

jedi

jedi

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
    Read the required sign by the entry. If Experimental, a LODA is needed to instruct. Ask if you can read the LODA. If it says "light Sport" it should be a S-LSA. It is possible that it was a S-LSA and has been converted to E-LSA but neglected to make all the required changes. If it says neither ask where the designation is and look for an N number. If the aircraft is not legal the time will not count for an certificate or rating. If you are going to stay ultralight makes no difference except for liability but time is probably worth less.

Part of the instruction should be to show you the airworthiness certificate and it will say either Experimental or Special.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
  4. Sep 28, 2018 #44

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

Since it was so close, I went to a CAP meeting earlier. I think I may try it out. They only do flight training for the cadets, but PPL holders can rent the planes for a bargain price. You need 200 hours to fly missions for them, so that is a long way off. Lotsa grey haired guys, I may have been the youngest at 48.

jedi likes this.
  5. Sep 28, 2018 #45

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

48 ??? I have Clecos older than you... but I only have eight years on you myself :)

(I thought you were younger than that BTW)

6. Sep 28, 2018 #46

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

I can just be really immature at times...

7. Sep 28, 2018 #47

jedi

jedi

jedi

No.

8. Sep 29, 2018 #48

N8053H

N8053H

N8053H

I could take my EAB, sell shares to it and everyone who then owns said shares can use this EAB for flight training.

9. Sep 29, 2018 #49

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

I would think a two place primary glider towed or winched or otherwise launched into the air could take the place of 2 place ultralight training.

Without an engine or fuel tank or propellor or reduction drive, you should have no problem getting a 2 place primary glider under 254 pounds... qualifying it as a legal 2 person ultralight (glider).

No route to 2 place pilot training in an ultralight... well there you go... that, is how you beat... that.

Getting rid of all that engine/prop/fueltank/drivegear mess, you now can get a 2 place flying machine under the 254 lbs weight limit which is what shot down all the 2 placed "fat" ultralights. All that weight is moved off the plane and onto whatever plane/ground rig/car/motorboat that slingshots it into the air.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
  10. Sep 29, 2018 #50

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

There is a 2 person 254lb glider class?

11. Sep 29, 2018 #51

lr27

lr27

lr27

choppergirl:
    They already thought of that and banned it. Part 103 requires "single occupancy" and 100 pounds less for gliders. I guess this is discrimination against single people, since someone could be trained by their "other half". ;-)

I suppose you could put the instructor in the boat with a FBW setup or something. As long as the line was slack, it would be like flying. Perhaps the regulations are different if you never release the tow line? Now you'd need a boat driver and maybe a spotter in addition to the instructor. sigh

12. Sep 29, 2018 #52

jedi

jedi

jedi

No. Not unless it is a motor glider under FAR 103. 103 unpowered empty weight is 155 pounds. The two place glider would need to be less than 155 pounds to operate as an UL. However, if it were powered with a small electric motor it could then go to 254 pounds. It would still need to be towed as the motor would not be sufficient for takeoff. This puts it in the grey area of "is this cheating to skirt the regulations".

It would still need to be operated under an exemption from one of the UL organizations because of the two seats. The EMG 6 would be the best equipment for this. However, the EMG 6 has so many gotchas as a ultralight or other trainer that it is difficult to count them all.

Tried to find a quick answer for EMG 6 empty weight but got lost in the internet.

13. Sep 29, 2018 #53

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

If the tow line is never released, the FAA would call that a "kite" so it would fall under Part 101. Like parasailing at the beach or back when Bensen gyro trainers were a method of learning how to fly a gyro. Fairly certain that is a hobby or recreational activity only so you couldn't open up a business for ultralight training using a kite.

14. Sep 29, 2018 #54

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

A Cox .049 nitro engine would make it "powered"......lol. With a 5 gal gas tank it would have an endurance of 10 days or more.

15. Sep 29, 2018 #55

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

The EMG-6 could be certificated as SLSA glider or powered glider for legal two seat instruction.
    That was the purpose of the Light Sport rule. Just can't use electric motors yet.

16. Sep 30, 2018 #56

jedi

jedi

jedi

so there. You found one of the gotchas.

17. Sep 30, 2018 #57

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Yet..........

Give them some time. F44 is working on it as part of the ASTM version of part 23. Once they get it all voted on (draft version 10 at the moment) then F37 will have a template to follow. From my understanding it covers pure electric and hybrid.