• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Thickening airfoils (specifically E214)?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WK95

I'm not too keen on the idea of messy around with airfoil geometry without some sort of testing but for my purposes, the E214 airfoil for low reynolds number flight (Re=400,000) is a bit too thin. I'd like to add a bit of bulk to it to achieve 15% thickness or maybe a little bit less if I can manage to use smaller spar tubes (or possibly just use multiple spars instead of just one but I digress).

The thing is, NACA airfoils often come in various flavors when it comes to thickness but with the Eppler foils, this does not seem to be the case (or maybe I missed it since the airfoils don't have a particular naming scheme to reflect % thickness). As far as I know, there is no Eppler variant of the E214 with more thickness so there most certainly isn't any wind tunnel data on that. So without access to a wind tunnel, can I thicken the airfoil a bit without dramatically changing the properties?

Has anyone else found a need to thicken an airfoil for which there was no thicker variant available? How did it work out?

I realize I may be overthinking this a bit but I'd like to attack every possible doubt so I can have confidence in my design short of getting a degree in aerodynamics and mastering wind tunnel and CFD software.

Back