The Ranger, an easily built high wing LSA runabout

Discussion in 'Aircraft Design / Aerodynamics / New Technology' started by Victor Bravo, Feb 19, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. May 14, 2019 #681

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

MTB airshocks are worth a look if you want light springing and damping. My cost-no-object landing gear would use lengthened ones. Sadly, cost is a problem, so they are unlikely...

2. May 14, 2019 #682

erkki67

erkki67

erkki67

A trailing link gear on the Ranger, hmmmI like that idea too, But I’m going to stay with the initial design.
    Fritz, how is the wing going to be built up, do you have a 3D image available?

3. May 14, 2019 #683

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

How is that any different with any other type of gear? I was actually thinking the opposite, that this could be relatively simple as cantilever steel tube gear just welded in pace when you make the firewall or bulkhead with a tabs welded in to bolt on the trailing link and shock.

4. May 14, 2019 #684

erkki67

erkki67

erkki67

The trailing link legs need to go forward to allow the linkage to swivel, the firewall is to much forward

5. May 14, 2019 #685

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

The Ranger is all about KISS. No, not Gene Simmons' KISS either. Simple, cheap, low-parts-count monolithic fiberglass landing gear is ideal, with welded tube bungee gear being the second best option if nobody wants to make a glass gear.

erkki67 likes this.
  6. May 14, 2019 #686

erkki67

erkki67

erkki67

Fritz, do you have a picture with the wings folded of the Ranger?

Or even better, the bird stored in a 20’ Container?

Our streetlegal width is 2500mm max.

7. May 14, 2019 #687

GeeZee

GeeZee

GeeZee

Wow, post 674 about the half VW using Harley cylinders. The guy is even willing to sell kits or partial kits. Hope this design works out! Wish Mr Plumb had gone with Harley cylinders on the O-100.....
    For a simple gear for the Ranger, how about going the Sonex route and use titanium bar slipped into a 4130 tube socket?

8. May 14, 2019 #688

radfordc

radfordc

radfordc

Even simpler, use the Airbike design....steel tube leg in steel tube socket. Much cheaper!

9. May 14, 2019 #689

erkki67

erkki67

erkki67

Engine wise my dream would be a direct drive two stroke engine with oil and direct fuel injection of about 50hp.
    Air cooled and boxer would be perfect.

GeeZee likes this.
  10. May 14, 2019 #690

GeeZee

GeeZee

GeeZee

Agreed a little cheaper. 3/4” bar from “titanium joe” isn’t as $$ as you would think. Sonex claimed the titanium had different properties than steel as far as energy absorption/rebound or something to that effect. I never bothered verifying their claims. I’ve got both the single and two place airbike plans. I like the design.

11. May 14, 2019 #691

GeeZee

GeeZee

GeeZee

“Engine wise my dream would be a direct drive two stroke engine with oil and direct fuel injection of about 50hp.
    Air cooled and boxer would be perfect.”

erkki67
    It sounds like you are describing a McCullough drone engine....(the reworked ones of course and minus the direct FI). There are threads in HBA about it on a Hummel bird.

12. May 14, 2019 #692

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

It's the same wing that we started with. ...version 2 of this one
    R2 9.JPG

13. May 14, 2019 #693

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

That sounds like it could be light, cheap and fairly simple. ...I'd better fire up the electric drafting machine and see if the sandwich would fit.

I've got some Airbike plans laying around to take inspiration from...

14. May 14, 2019 #694

erkki67

erkki67

erkki67

And the ribs, routed ones?

15. May 15, 2019 #695

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

I think you guys should take a look at the dark side. Rutan style glass gear.

16. May 15, 2019 #696

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

That sounds very 103. i thought you were going LSA. Those speeds mean that a Briggs would really benefit from a redrive. A Luciole DD setup is going to suck that slow. The 810 with as much torque as you can find might sorta work.

17. May 15, 2019 #697

radfordc

radfordc

radfordc

I tested the hell out of my Sonex gear! I ran off a narrow runway into tall weeds and put the plane on its nose....bending one leg about 10 degrees. My buddy worked in the machine shop at a large power plant and helped straighten the leg with a 50 ton press. He said it was scary how much force it took to straighten the leg. That gear leg is still flying hundreds of hours later and hasn't shown any problem.

18. May 15, 2019 #698

Dillpickle

Dillpickle

Dillpickle

Re: landing gear. 18? years ago, we built a single seat homebuilt using the composite leaf springs from I believe a Chevy Astro van. They were $50 each at a wrecking yard. We were able to sand, saw, drill, and shape the composite springs to our liking. According to this article (link following) "...IFC Composites (Haldensleben, Germany), which has been mass-producing glass-reinforced epoxy-based leaf springs since 2005. The company uses a semi-automated prepreg manufacturing system, during which continuous fiber is impregnated with resin. IFC has reportedly supplied more than 1.3 million composite leaf springs for light-duty trucks, including Daimler’s Sprintercargo van. The Sprinter front axle leaf spring manufactured by IFC measures 1400 mm/55 inches long, 75 mm/3 inches wide, 30 mm/1.18 inches thick and weighs 5.5 kg/12.1 lb compared to the 25-kg/55-lb steel front leaf spring it replaces." ONE POINT THREE MILLION! springs out there from this manufacturer alone. When I was doing the research nearly two decades ago, some European Land Rovers and the Astro and Corvette all used some type of composite leaf. Corvette was out because the price of all things Vette is obscene.

The springs we used were strong enough out of the box (van?), but needed to be a shade stiffer. We wrapped them with another two layers of cloth and they ended up working well on a 750 lb airplane. While the sprinter van specs given may be a little heavy, they might be sawed down and tapered. Or there may be a another option out there, as I would guess most Chevy Astros with the Composite MonoLeaf spring have long since been recycled.

reference article: https://www.compositesworld.com/art...aving-weight-in-production-suspension-systems

and a quick google shows Volvo using them as well. This article even has a pretty good picture of the application: https://omnexus.specialchem.com/new...benteler-sgl-composite-leaf-springs-000186237

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    Battler Britton likes this.
  19. May 15, 2019 #699

billyvray

billyvray

billyvray

what was the type of airplane or what was it similar to?

How was the leaf spring used? Is it cut in half (and tapered, modified) and each piece clamped in the fuselage as and independent leg? Or, was is used as a large single unit ?
    Just curious.

"Dillpickle, post: 472658, member: 30739"]Re: landing gear. 18? years ago, we built a single seat homebuilt using the composite leaf springs "

20. May 15, 2019 #700

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Mr. Meglinsky, a previous participant in this forum, has offered composite springs that were designed for small aircraft. However, the narrow fuselage of the Ranger makes a one-piece spring more complicated to mount. There would likely have to be a wide "pad" or plate under the fuselage with gussets, and this would not look very attractive.

In terms of using a fiberglass gear, Billy Ray's idea (above) of clamping two springs onto the sides of the fuselage is probably a better idea than my comment above about a monolithic one-piece spring. If the clamp bolts go all the way through the fuselage, at least there would not be any tension loads trying to "peel" the fuselage sides apart.

There is also a good case to be made for the welded bungee type gear on this aircraft. Legal Eagle gear might be nearly perfect as-is, just narrowed enough to fit the Ranger's fuselage. I'm sure Rockiedog can offer some expertise on the durability or off-road-worthiness of the LE gear.

I made up a sketch of a composite gear but I can't figure out how to upload it into a post.... what happened?

Last edited: May 15, 2019