Sun n Fun 2020

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

rv7charlie

Problem is, the people that are panicking and buying TP are not afraid of the virus; they're afraid of running out of TP. If they were afraid of the virus, they wouldn't be pushing & shoving each other in a crowd of hundreds of people, for TP.

If they'd listened to health professionals, instead of Facebook Conspiracy Network, they'd have stayed home, conserved TP, and not spread the virus.

My wife just saw a post from a dingbat acquaintance on FB saying that by the time they got out of the grocery store, the virus would be gone. Then she saw a post from a friend's daughter, *who is a physician*, saying that driving to work she saw restaurants full of people. She complained that while she's going to work, exposing herself in order to help these people, they're out spreading the virus around to more people.

The goal is not to cause a panic; it's to *avoid* a panic. Right now in Italy they are having to choose who lives or dies because the hospitals are overwhelmed. If you think it can't happen here.....

erkki67

Problem is, the people that are panicking and buying TP are not afraid of the virus; they're afraid of running out of TP. If they were afraid of the virus, they wouldn't be pushing & shoving each other in a crowd of hundreds of people, for TP.

If they'd listened to health professionals, instead of Facebook Conspiracy Network, they'd have stayed home, conserved TP, and not spread the virus.

My wife just saw a post from a dingbat acquaintance on FB saying that by the time they got out of the grocery store, the virus would be gone. Then she saw a post from a friend's daughter, *who is a physician*, saying that driving to work she saw restaurants full of people. She complained that while she's going to work, exposing herself in order to help these people, they're out spreading the virus around to more people.

The goal is not to cause a panic; it's to *avoid* a panic. Right now in Italy they are having to choose who lives or dies because the hospitals are overwhelmed. If you think it can't happen here.....
Italy lives a complete shut down of the country as did China, Switzerland and Austria are closing borders, Restaurants, shops, Movie theaters, pubs, bars and so on. Only food stores, banks, pharmacies and fuel stations remain ope. The military start to give hands in hospitals. Think what you want, Ill back up my gouvernement decision to slow down our invidual lives to limit the spreading of the little beast, called Corona.

cheapracer

Log Member
Right now in Italy they are having to choose who lives or dies because the hospitals are overwhelmed. If you think it can't happen here.....
I keep saying, this is the danger.

It's not how deadly the virus is, it certainly isn't the worst one ever, but it is the most contagious one ever, if it's allowed to spread, the medical systems will be overwhelmed, that's what the Governments are trying to prevent on your behalf's.

It's happening in Northern Italy right now, and it's how it went down in Wuhan China.

Many of you know they built 2 new hospitals in Wuhan in 2 weeks, but many of you might not be aware of the hundreds of tent field hospitals they also set up, and the thousands of Doctors and Nurses who flooded in from all over China, sadly some then contracting and dying from the virus, and still they were massively overwhelmed with many dying because they simply could not get the required treatment.

... and now it's only just started in Africa, it's not going to be good if it gets a hold there.

PMD

This is a daily problem that is increasing constantly in intensity. We cancelled a trip to Abuja two weeks ago, afraid that we might become infected since the first case had surfaced in Lagos. Our NY address is New Rochelle, so as you might guess it was WE who could have been Typhoid Mary. Our assessment is that North America is two months behind in actually DOING something. The attitude of "don't worry, be happy" has set in motion what will ultimately cost thousands, if not MILLIONS of lives. And, of course, each on of our group are "senior citizens" with all of the immunobaggage that goes along with that. My next obligation is to spend 3 weeks in Victorville CA...will see as time goes on if we can even get across the border (have already set up my condo in town here as an isolation ward for when I come back).

Hysteria, no, but complacency HECK NO!

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
My daughter lives on a mountain ridge, off grid, on a long private road with a locked gate, in the middle of nowhere. She has room for several people and my camper is ready to go. Wife and I are 79 years old and have stayed home for a week now. We are always prepared long term . So far not one case in this state. I'm sure it will be different in a few days. Living were there is more deer than people is nice.
Just staying home and working in the hanger each day.

rv7charlie

You're probably as safe in your house as hers; it's interaction with the public that's hazardous.

There are no *diagnosed* cases in your state. Not the same thing as no cases. Early (and continuing) refusal to allow widespread testing will be seen as the reason if we have a raging epidemic in this country.

PMD

Friday family meeting: we cut off all visits to restaurants, gym, all kids functions (dance, karate, music, etc.). #1 son-in-law is firefighter and EMT, so he is really exposed to risk. I will do as much as I can from home, but unfortunately, one of my skill sets (that pays the bills) requires me to physically BE places both domestic and international.

Just to put things into perspective: when SK had its first diagnosed case, someone (in Saskatoon) call 911. The first responders (5) and private amubulace crew (2) found that they had a COVID patient, so are all in quarnatine now. Their hall had all trucks removed to new location, hall closed down for decontamination. Saskatoon has 80 firefighters and 6% are out of service from that one call. Now: think about the EMTs and hospital staff around North America and imagine just how many cases it will take to absolutely overwhelm our health care and emergency response assets.

Last edited:

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
You're probably as safe in your house as hers; it's interaction with the public that's hazardous.

There are no *diagnosed* cases in your state. Not the same thing as no cases. Early (and continuing) refusal to allow widespread testing will be seen as the reason if we have a raging epidemic in this country.
Like I said, I'm sure there will be cases in this state, just a matter of a little time. My daughter is very highly stocked up and has a farm and raises most of her food. Has all the farm animals, etc. Free NG from 2 different NG wells. Lots of solar and 3 different NG generators, if needed. Water well with pumps on solar. Not easy to get to, private property behind a locked gate and takes a 4 wheel drive for the mountain road. Wished she had a field big enough to land an airplane.
Interacting with the public. I live in a county of 5008 people that does not have a stop light. Biggest and only town is 1800 people and we are not going to town and my daughter is 32 miles away. Also live at the edge of 22K acres of pulp wood country.

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
There have been massive plagues before and we lost half the population of the earth. The good that came from that was primarily awareness of proper hygiene and sanitation. It appears that proper sanitation is the most effective thing to combat this latest mess... Let's hope that those lessons live on after this blows over. Frankly, humans are nasty, filthy creatures and I'm shocked we haven't been wiped out before now.

rv7charlie

Proper sanitation is the *absolute minimum* level of response. Saying that's the 'most effective' tool is just perpetuating the head-in-the-sand mentality. As pilots, we let data drive what we do in the air and what we do when we're building; why are we disengaging our brains when it comes to this? Why are we listening to a politician who can't open his mouth without lying and who's every move is to preserve his image and re-election chances,, and 'talking boobs' on TV, and Russian Facebook bots, instead of listening to health professionals?

Louisianna, hardly a fortress of liberalism, has postponed their presidential primary (along with other states). My state of MS, where it's almost impossible to find a 'liberal' and probably has the highest percentage of churchgoers in the world, has asked churches to suspend services. For once, my state government seems to be trying to get ahead of the curve instead ignoring it.

Charlie

cheapracer

Log Member
this is not a thread to discuss the virus, politics, or the news media.
Yup, this is not the time for politics, it resolves nothing, and helps no one.

Lets try to keep the discussion related to Sun n Fun.
I think people had better think further as well, there won't be an Oshkosh, on it's usual date anyway, this is only just starting for the USA sorry to say. Isolation and distancing is the only path available presently, as China is well proving.

cheapracer

Log Member
There have been massive plagues before and we lost half the population of the earth. The good that came from that was primarily awareness of proper hygiene and sanitation. It appears that proper sanitation is the most effective thing to combat this latest mess... Let's hope that those lessons live on after this blows over. Frankly, humans are nasty, filthy creatures and I'm shocked we haven't been wiped out before now.
The ability to travel great distances so easily and quickly is a major issue, I am surprised it hasn't happened more often since the budget airlines have been carrying herds of people and germs all over the planet.

It's certainly had it's impact on the micro-environment, carrying insects and polens all over.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
This is going to take time . Just like in the past. I remember in the 60's, living in Pittsburgh, Pa, a lot of my friends and myself volunteered to get the Polio vaccine around to the high schools in the area for a large push to get everyone in this country vaccinated. Stopped the thousands of people dying each year from Polio.
I pray that a vaccine and be found quickly and a huge push to get everyone vaccinated in the shortest time possible.
That is an area where we can help in our little airplanes.

Last edited:

rv7charlie

Lets try to keep the discussion related to Sun n Fun. Yes, the virus drove the postponement, but this is not a thread to discuss the virus, politics, or the news media.

Thank you.
BJC, thread OP
I get it, and was reluctant to bring up politics. But politics is where most of the misinformation (euphemism for lie) is originating. Except the beer rumors; that's just corporate warfare. ;-)

I'll try to be quiet now...