Sun n Fun 2020

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

BJC

HBA Supporter
Sun n Fun 2020 starts on March 31, 2020, in Lakeland, Florida. See https://www.flysnf.org/sun-n-fun-intl-fly-expo/

I will be there, except for the final day. If anyone wants to meet for coffee, I will be in the OX5 Clubhouse each morning. You do not need to be a member to come in and have coffee.

If you want to meet for a beer, I will be in the big food building following the airshow.

Motels around Lakeland are terribly expensive during Sun n Fun, but reasonable rates are available on the SE side of Tampa, about a 25 minute drive away.

BJC

Toobuilder

Log Member
It looks like I will be on a business trip to Melbourne during that time. I'll be there a couple weeks so it looks like a reasonable drive over on a weekend. I'll know more shortly.

Reactions: BJC

TurbAero

Lifetime Supporter
BJC,

I shall be there up until the 04th. I shall endeavour to get to the OX5 one morning (it won't be the first). From memory, it was 3 years ago when we hooked up at SNF and I was giving you the lowdown on my plan to develop a turbine engine and showed you the video of my POC engine. This year, I'll be able to give you a first hand update and show you some photos of components for our clean-sheet 200hp turboprop, with the first runs only being months away.

I'm looking forward to catching up with any HBA members there!

Dave

Reactions: BJC

gtae07

I'm thinking about it. Was thinking of trying to make Oshkosh this year, but SnF is a lot closer and I have family outside of Tampa. It might be easier to do that instead. I'll talk to The Boss and see if that goes over well...

BJC

HBA Supporter
Just checked, and, officially, Sun n Fun still is scheduled. However, I expect that they will cancel. In any event, I will not be there.

BJC

Victor Bravo

I think the attendees will self-cancel even if the event itself des not cancel. Hope this doesn't happen to Oshkosh, but unless this problem has gone away by then.... a great big fly-in with 200K people milling around the booth for Garmin's latest device is a perfect storm for spreading that disease.

And Oshkosh won't let you have a lid to cover your cup of Pepsi... :)

BJC

HBA Supporter
I'm now hearing that SnF will be rescheduled for May 5 - 10, 2020.

No update on their web site, though.

BJC

TurbAero

Lifetime Supporter
I had just made the decision not to attend, only in the last few days. Unfortunately, I don’t think the 1 month delay will affect that decision. I’m very disappointed...
Sadly, the decision not to attend is not because I’m worried about the effects of the virus on me if I get it, rather that the cost of medical care in the US if I needed it could result in me losing the house since insurance will not cover a Coronavirus issue...

BJC

HBA Supporter
I'm now hearing that SnF will be rescheduled for May 5 - 10, 2020.

No update on their web site, though.

BJC
From Sun n Fun

Earlier today, a difficult decision was made to postpone the upcoming SUN n FUN Aerospace Expo. SUN ‘n FUN and the Aerospace Center for Excellence are deeply concerned about the developing crisis with COVID-19 and understand our responsibility to help in the fight against the spread of the disease. Our first priority is always the health, safety, and well-being of our patrons, partners, staff and volunteers. With the full support of Polk County, the City of Lakeland, Lakeland Linder International Airport, and the FAA, at this time we are planning to postpone the 2020 SUN ‘n FUN Aerospace Expo until May 5-10.

We are committed to providing updates as quickly as possible. Please visit www.flysnf.org for updated information as it becomes available and follow us on social media.

rv7charlie

Honestly, I think it took SNF way too long to cancel, given recommendations from health care officials. We reluctantly cancelled our SNF plans about 10 days ago.

Guys, you need to take this seriously. I have numerous relatives and friends who are docs, and *all* of them are quite worried about what's coming.

If you're young and healthy, you'll likely just get sick for a week or two and then you'll be ok. But while you're wandering around still functional, you'll be infecting who knows how many seniors (like me) or those with compromised immune systems (like my wife) for whom the mortality rate is pretty shocking.

Anyone who's listening to the talking bOObs on Conspiracy TV needs to take a break and read some info from actual medical professionals. Call *your* doc, and ask them for their advice. Here's some fun reading:
Coronavirus: Why You Must Act Now

Note that China instituted quite draconian measures to slow its spread; something that won't happen here, and also note that we have absolutely no idea how fast it's spreading here in the USA, because the admin refused test kits from WHO so we could pay our in-country drug corps for the kits, at some unknown point in the future.

Please, take it seriously. Try to minimize interactions with random strangers, not just to protect yourself, but to avoid killing someone else.

BJC

HBA Supporter
Honestly, I think it took SNF way too long to cancel, given recommendations from health care officials.
Agree. On one update from them, they indicated that, were they not able to hold the fly-in, they would be forced to cease operations. If it is not true, they have lied to the public. If that is true, it confirms all the lousy management that they have exhibited since Billy retired.

BJC

Pops

Log Member
The flue of 2009/10 had far more deaths and a national emergency wasn't called until 6 months after it started. Also the news was not reporting in a way to panic the people. But things are different now.
I had the flue in 1958/59 and in bed for 3 weeks and missed a month of school in my Senior year of HS. Same for my wife. Most people think history started when they were born.
My grandmother lost 3 children in 1918.
Spanish flu - Wikipedia

rv7charlie

Pops, I agree that hysteria doesn't help. But living in denial is at least as bad. I'd humbly suggest that you take a look at your post, and ask yourself what you *could* have said if the national emergency declaration hadn't been delayed for 6 months. Would we have had 'far more deaths' if action had been taken at the beginning, instead of 'after the horse had left the barn'? What if the news had been reporting, not a hysterical message, but a message of how serious the flu could be? Would people have been more cautious, and the spread limited, and deaths reduced?

You bring up history, and you should. And importantly, we should learn from it. Our knowledge and capabilities are so much greater than a century ago; it would be such a shame to function in denial, not take advantage of all the advances, and due to not learning from history, repeat it.

The article I linked discusses historical cases of epidemics, and compares the infection/death rates for areas that took action vs areas that didn't. Worth a read.

Charlie

dog

Ill double up on this link,which was provided on another aviation forum as well,its well writen,cool,clear,sober,profesional,
all backed up.I even think the spelling is good,but
honestly I cant tell for sure.

Pops

Log Member
Pops, I agree that hysteria doesn't help. But living in denial is at least as bad. I'd humbly suggest that you take a look at your post, and ask yourself what you *could* have said if the national emergency declaration hadn't been delayed for 6 months. Would we have had 'far more deaths' if action had been taken at the beginning, instead of 'after the horse had left the barn'? What if the news had been reporting, not a hysterical message, but a message of how serious the flu could be? Would people have been more cautious, and the spread limited, and deaths reduced?

You bring up history, and you should. And importantly, we should learn from it. Our knowledge and capabilities are so much greater than a century ago; it would be such a shame to function in denial, not take advantage of all the advances, and due to not learning from history, repeat it.

The article I linked discusses historical cases of epidemics, and compares the infection/death rates for areas that took action vs areas that didn't. Worth a read.

Charlie
It's just common sense , (Very uncommon today). I didn't imply that people need to be in denial, IF you are not in hysteria doesn't mean that your are in denial.
Common thinking for a lot of people. But, getting people in a panic is not helping anything. Like you said, just common sense on how serious the flue can be and take sane precautions. Fighting over toilet paper is not helping. Getting people in hysteria and acting in emotion only , can get more deaths. How about educating people in being prepared for emergencies so everyone will not running out and buying the store shelves bare and exposing themselves even more, when being prepared and staying home and avoiding being around people would be far better resulting in less deaths. But, that is not being done.
Education in health in schools is completely lacking today from years past, (Same for history). A lot of people have not been taught basic hygiene in public schools, you see it everyday in public. Getting people educated in good hygiene would go a long ways in preventing an epidemic and have far less deaths.
So today we are paying the price for not getting proper education and being prepared as much as possible. Cause and effect.

Last edited: