• Become a Premium Member today!

Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Why become a Premium Member?

• Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts.
    • Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

Become a Premium Member today and experience HomebuiltAirplanes.com to the fullest!

Upgrade Now

perfect flying machine?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

P-Hudson

So I was thinking the other day....

Aircraft design is largely about compromise to meet a set of design goals. We've all accepted that, and as a result aim towards
configurations that meet most of our flying goals. Worse than that, in fact we end up tailoring or goals and expectations to fit
the types of aircraft that are available and achievable. While I understand that is the only reasonable approach, I was thinking
"What are my base urges about flying? What would my ideal flying be, independant of technology readiness? "

I found the question sort of fun and thought I'd see how some of you guys would answer.

For me the ideal fun flying is something very bird like or like swimming in air: the requirements list follows:
1 no real obstruction to visibility
2 foot launch and landing in no more than a couple of easy steps
3 fly low and very slow over interesting places and things
4 fly high and fairly fast to change scenery
5 fly anywhere that interests me (not dependant on soaring lift)
6 allow confidant flight over treacherous areas
7 not vulnerable to turbulence but playful in it
8 easily packaged and transportable to distant areas
(say via the airlines)

I guess a chair-lift that goes where you point it would be close.
A paramotor is close except for 4, 6, and 7
Hang gliding is close except for 4, 5, 6, and 8
My Cherokee only really handles about 4, 5, and 6
(but then it has to meet other peoples needs too!)
An ultralight motor glider could be close except for 4, 6, and 8

Anyway its got me thinking about what areas of sport aviation could really use some development work and what focus
should that work should have.

-Peter-

Back