Once again with the FAA...

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

PTAirco

I once tried selling an aircraft I got from the wife of the deceased builder. I should have been prepared for the FAA nonsense I would have to deal with but I was stupid...It ended up a 4 month ordeal. I had a bill of sale from the wife who was the executor of the estate and had a copy of the will, notarized. A copy of the will is not enough for the FAA! I had to fill out and get an "heir at law" form and get that notarized. With the wife living in Sweden... Long story short, it took forever and I got conflicting information from our federal friends until the thing finally resolved itself.

Now about 5 months ago I sent the same kind of information to the FAA wanting to register my Aeronca L3B which is close to flying again after the original owner died, many years ago. Having gone through this before, I had all my ducks in a row with the forms asked for previously, all notarized etc. Of course - no good.... The "Heir at law" form, an affidavit that states that they are the legal executors of the estate is apparently not good enough any more, even though it's what they asked for. Now they want a copy of the "letters of administration or testament" - which states the exact same thing and wasn't acceptable in my previous case. But whereas a notarized statement was good enough then, now it has to be certified as true by an officer of the court. I am sure this is completely against their previously policy but do I have time to lawyer back and forth with them..? No.

Also on the bill of sale they want me to put the name of the deceased as the seller ! Well, duh, I didn't think of that. With the owner being dead etc I didn't think he was in a position to sell anything and I'd be making a false statement on a federal form. I was surprised they didn't want the dead man's signature, but no - the executor has to sign against the dead man's name in the box that clearly says "signature of seller". To me that is a legally false statement but, it's what our federal friends want to see. And no, the entry on my bill of sale that said" trustees of the Living trust of Frank L .. XXXXX isn't good enough either, it has to say Executors of the trust of blablabla...

It's mindless bureaucracy at it's finest. I hate bothering the family yet again about this, it took me long enough to track them down. Now they have to go dig up documents, go down to the townhall or somewhere, fill in mindless forms, stand in line etc.

Maybe I should have just given them a 27B-6.... (points if you get that reference!)

At some point I'm sure I will become one of those FAA outlaws as described in a Richard Bach story...

Victor Bravo

Supporting Member
You could call the FAA's legal branch, find whatever way to get one of their upper echelon attorneys on the phone, and tell that attorney that the FAA registration people are giving you conflicting requirements, demanding paperwork that they had previously disallowed, etc. etc. and if you really have to hire a private attorney to handle it then it's just going to create a whole bunch of extra work for THAT FAA attorney you're talking to, and maybe he or she can just call the registration branch and tell them it's OK to accept the complete package you had dutifully submitted months ago.

Pops

Supporting Member
It's called bureaucracy job security.
Local DMV is a lot worse. Bought a camper from a private owner that bought the camper before a marriage. She signed the title in her maiden name by mistake. I make 4 trips to the DMV with about a several hour wait each time. and she make 2 trips. First told they needed a copy of her marriage centificate and after receiving that, they then demanded to have the original, etc, etc. My drivers license was based on a birth certificate form from 1940 that is no longer excepted, etc, etc. ( guess I needed to get re-born to get the correct birth certificate). I did get the pleasure of telling several people what I thought of them. The manager of the DMV was even agreeing with me. No one knows what they are doing. Its all nuts.

Last edited:

D Hillberg

Just fill out a change of address form. . . AKA John Doe that's John Duh

When the FAA does a follow up - Stand in front of the counter and say "Duh he's on a very long vacation"

The FAA issued badges to the FSDO personal my buddy said "I quit when they give us guns"

The bar gets lowered every year...

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
They (FSDOs) have been trying to get me a certificate check since last year and haven't figured out how to even place a call to schedule one yet. My son lost his CFI more than two years ago thru computer issues that can not be resolved. Now they want to take mine.

BJC

Supporting Member
They (FSDOs) have been trying to get me a certificate check since last year and haven't figured out how to even place a call to schedule one yet. My son lost his CFI more than two years ago thru computer issues that can not be resolved. Now they want to take mine.
Did you fly under a bridge, Grant?

BJC

Pops

Supporting Member
Two weeks before the inspection of the JMR by the FADO, FAA lost all records of it. Not even the N number. Took 3 full days for the FAA inspector to get Kansas City to find everything. He wasn't a happy camper.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
And God forbid you put the serial number down as "01" when the existing paperwork says "001"... they will send it back and make you send a corrected version.

Two weeks before the inspection of the JMR by the FADO, FAA lost all records of it. Not even the N number. Took 3 full days for the FAA inspector to get Kansas City to find everything. He wasn't a happy camper.
When are you going to fly it?

Pops

Supporting Member
And God forbid you put the serial number down as "01" when the existing paperwork says "001"... they will send it back and make you send a corrected version.

When are you going to fly it?
Finally found a local flight instructor to give me a Bi-Annual last June on account of the virus. All the local instructors had quit since the virus started. Had been flying it about 10' up and down the runway checking out everything. First decided to redo the nose gear strut from a copy of the Zenith 701 and built the heavy duty nose gear like the Zenith 750 SD. Like it much better on our rough runway. Also the brakes took to much toe brake pressure to operate. By the Matco instructions I should have a 2 to 1 ratio to the master cylinders, I just had a 1 to 1 ratio. So remove the rudder pedals and toe brakes and rebuild for the 2 to 1 ratio. Last fall I flew it up and down the runway testing the brakes. Much, Much better now. Toe brakes now like a C-172. Then the fall rains started on our grass and clay runway. Nothing has been on the runway since then except for airplanes with large bush tires like a Super Cub based here with huge bush tires. Today another SC and a STOL Just Highlander with large tires flew in. Waiting for the clay to dry up. When its wet, you sink in with your shoes.
Another reason is I bought the SSSC back after being damaged last Feb 20 th and had it delivered from NC. Also wanting to get it back together as quick as possible and spending a lot of time on it. Check at Single Seat Super Cub

PagoBay

It's a 27B/6, not a 27B-6.
Go fill it out again in triplicate...

Form 27B-6, is a plot device in Terry Gilliam's movie Brazil, which is itself a reference to George Orwell's address - Apartment 6, 27B Canonbury Square, Islington, London.

27Bslash6 is different. That www.27bslash6.com is the website for David R. Thorne, an Australian humourist, satirist, and Internet personality.

964SS

Supporting Member
HA! Sounds like what I went through to get my LODA last year. Local FSDO had no clue what I was talking about. That took a month. Someone clued me in to look elsewhere. Went through another one and had it in less than a week.
Bought a Canadian amateur built sailplane. Had over 1000 hrs of flawless flight time on it. Several documented contests, etc. Still wanted me to fly off 25 hours. After 2 months I convinced the guy down to 10.
Nonsense!
On top of that I deal with the FDA amongst others during the course of my job.
The struggle is real. LOL

fastdancin

"Flying's big business now; people gotta' think it's safe." Geoffrey Lewis in The Great Waldo Pepper.

gregc

You could call the FAA's legal branch, find whatever way to get one of their upper echelon attorneys on the phone, and tell that attorney that the FAA registration people are giving you conflicting requirements, demanding paperwork that they had previously disallowed, etc. etc. and if you really have to hire a private attorney to handle it then it's just going to create a whole bunch of extra work for THAT FAA attorney you're talking to, and maybe he or she can just call the registration branch and tell them it's OK to accept the complete package you had dutifully submitted months ago.

Having worked for the Federal government before, I can confirm that the above is good advice. Work your way up the chain. Since the higher up won't want to do the work, they call down the chain and tell them to fix it.

Marc Zeitlin

Exalted Grand Poobah
Form 27B-6, is a plot device in Terry Gilliam's movie Brazil, which is itself a reference to George Orwell's address - Apartment 6, 27B Canonbury Square, Islington, London.

27Bslash6 is different. That www.27bslash6.com is the website for David R. Thorne, an Australian humourist, satirist, and Internet personality.
I'm familiar with both Brazil and Thorne. However, in the movie (Brazil), the apartment owner asks if the repairmen have a 27B STROKE 6. Now, if one goes to:

and scrolls down to "Alternative Names", one sees that "stroke" is a common British name for the slash (diagonal line), although it does indicate that less commonly can be used for a hyphen.

In this case, with British folks using "stroke", it's fairly clear (particularly as Thorne is unlikely, given his attention to detail, to use it incorrectly) that a "/" was meant, not a "-". Although the probability of that is not 100%.

This page:

also makes similar points. The safe assumption is that Gilliam meant "/", not "-".

robertl

After 5 months, and talking to 4 different people, on 3 different occasions, I'm prepared to send my registration back in for the 3rd time. Changing from private ownership to an LLC, the two previous attempts were sent back because something wasn't filled out properly. ALTHOUGH, each time I was, ASSURED, that what they had told me to do, was all that was necessary, (In my best sarcastic voice), APPARENTLY, that was not the case!!!
Bob

Last edited: