Once again with the FAA...

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Skinnybird

Art imitating life:

"The Vogons are a race that will not save their grandmothers from certain death without orders signed in triplicate, sent in, sent back, queried, lost, found, subject to public inquiry, lost again, and finally buried in soft peat for three months and recycled as firelighters.” (Douglas Adams, from Hitchiker's Guide)

Dillpickle

With all these horror stories, it's no wonder so many pilots around my neck of the woods are flying cowboy style with no paperwork on pilot or plane.

Pilot-34

Most of me is in IL but my hearts in Alaska
HA! Sounds like what I went through to get my LODA last year. Local FSDO had no clue what I was talking about. That took a month. Someone clued me in to look elsewhere. Went through another one and had it in less than a week.
Bought a Canadian amateur built sailplane. Had over 1000 hrs of flawless flight time on it. Several documented contests, etc. Still wanted me to fly off 25 hours. After 2 months I convinced the guy down to 10.
Nonsense!
On top of that I deal with the FDA amongst others during the course of my job.
The struggle is real. LOL
You have me curious about this ,why would you spind 60 days trying to reduce some thing 15 hours? Your results were about 15 minutes a day.
I’m kind of assuming that you like flying and airplanes or you wouldn’t be here so why not just go out one afternoon and fly off those extra 15 hours?

Skinnybird

If you simply remember that workmans compensation was set up by the wealthy business to protect the wealthy and for the wealthy make a it makes a lot more sense.
Could you provide a citation for that?
BJC
In as much as every human event ever has been undertaken for those with some degree of power to benefit those with some similar or greater degree of power. And with money being a raw measure of power in western civilization... What citation is required?

964SS

Supporting Member
You have me curious about this ,why would you spind 60 days trying to reduce some thing 15 hours? Your results were about 15 minutes a day.
I’m kind of assuming that you like flying and airplanes or you wouldn’t be here so why not just go out one afternoon and fly off those extra 15 hours?
Because I didn’t want to be restricted to a 10 mile radius during the best part of the year for cross country soaring. In addition, flying those hours off would require ideal weather to stay up, or many tows to higher altitude. Not to mention the stars aligning to provide these conditions on consecutive weekends. A sailplane is not like power in terms of kick the tire and light the fires. Need a tow tug or winch.
Also, why restrict an already proven aircraft?

Last edited:

Pilot-34

Because I didn’t want to be restricted to a 10 mile radius during the best part of the year for cross country soaring. In addition, flying those hours off would require ideal weather to stay up, or many tows to higher altitude. Not to mention the stars aligning to provide these conditions on consecutive weekends. A sailplane is not like power in terms of kick the tire and light the fires. Need a tow tug or winch.
Also, why restrict an already proven aircraft?
I’m not a sail plane flyer but surely you can get more than 15 minutes a day in the air?
I realize a powered plane is a little different proposition but it would’ve taken me 17 hours to fly off 15 hours of restriction.
how long would it take you to get 15 hours in the air in a sail plane ?

Bille Floyd

how long would it take you to get 15 hours in the air in a sail plane ?

5 days of good thermals ; that would do it , for me !!
Even on the Atos ; I rarely bother going out , unless
i can get 3 hours of flight time.

Bille

Toobuilder

Supporting Member
In as much as every human event ever has been undertaken for those with some degree of power to benefit those with some similar or greater degree of power. And with money being a raw measure of power in western civilization... What citation is required?

Two ways to go with this, and I'm fine either way.

1. We agree that capitalism is the path to prosperity for the world...

2. This is an overtly socio-economic/political subject that has no place on a "homebuilt airplanes" forum.

Skinnybird

This is a psychology answer-- not a political one.

Living things act in thier own self interest. At a certain level of brain development animals can organize themselves into groups, and learn from past events they experienced, and use that knowlege to plan. (IE: preditors anticipating a prey animal's reaction.) Human beings have the ability to communicate, to organize into communities where they do not have personal interaction with one another, and to learn from events they did not personally experience.

People are selfish because it is a survival skill. A noted child psychologist said that toddlers would be deadly if they were bigger and had better motor skills. Sadly some adolecents are because they were not trained to control and benefitially harness thier impulses. Brain studies indicate that alturism is a misdiagnosis. That those we see as alturistic are really people who see 'the big picture' and are acting in thier own self-interest.

Systems that harness our nature and use it as a carrot are far more viable than those that use a stick to impose an unnatural order or value system.

Vigilant1

Supporting Member
For a person to adopt a mechanistic view of his species (and thus, himself) is one of the saddest things that can happen. We are not robots, nor are we ants. Free will exists, love exists, honor exists, and duty exists.

Sociobiologists, to explain all actual human behavior through genetic mechanisms, must posit some extremely improbable notions as fact.

Last edited:

Pilot-34

Two ways to go with this, and I'm fine either way.

1. We agree that capitalism is the path to prosperity for the world...

2. This is an overtly socio-economic/political subject that has no place on a "homebuilt airplanes" forum.

lol you have to be kidding me it’s quite clear the capitalism is the path to prosperity for the 1% not the world.
A certain amount of prosperity is key two being able to afford a home built aircraft or any other aircraft so it does have reason to be on a home built forum

Pilot-34

Just because he says it doesn’t make it so.
and he doesn’t back it up at all
Capitalism pretty much makes 1% wealthy.
It’s the unions that have contributed the most to the prosperity of the average man and the wealth of the average man has declined steadily as the government has attacked the unions.
True unions like almost everything else are not perfect but ask yourself why did the government seek destroy unions, not to correct them?