O-100-- interesting new engine

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Cy V

Do you know if any consideration has been given to creating a weekend engine assembly program, like William Wynne's Corvair College?

Victor Bravo

Do you know if any consideration has been given to creating a weekend engine assembly program, like William Wynne's Corvair College?
That's a good idea, I will mention that to him.

But right now I'm not going to do or say anything that slows him down from putting engines or customer kits together !

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
I keep thinking how great my Fisher 404 would have been with this engine. The guy I sold it to never flew it, I wish somebody would buy it from him and hang one of these engines on it...

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
You know what that guy wants for your old 404, Dana? Conn. is some what of a huff, but I'd sure know how to handle it by the time I got to Florida... :)
Not sure, but I think a year ago he was asking considerably more than he paid for it, might be less now, he can't get the engine started (sounds like a sticking valve, its been sitting, he never flew it). Yeah, NY (where it is now) to FL is a long way, but it fits in a U-Haul truck.

Victor Bravo

So, after all the waiting, and all the hand-wringing, and all the pundits and watchers and impatient well-wishers... I have finally been authorized to post the following (Drumroll, please!). This is the letter that Pete is sending out to the people who have expressed serious-level interest in wanting one of the first DP-1/O-100 engine kits:

Hello John,

I can finally reach out with confidence to those who expressed a high level of interest in purchasing one of the first DP-1 (O-100) engine kits. Why now? Because we just cleared the last remaining hurdle in getting this engine into production. Our custom-built 4340 forged steel crankshafts are finally here, and they’re gorgeous! A world class forged crankshaft is what I needed to have in my hands before I would take any orders.

The crankcases and crankshafts for the first 10 engine kits are in hand, and we have a delivery date in March for the multi-mount accessory cases. As you know, I’ve always said that I would not take one dime from a customer until I knew I had solid, realistic production date. Now I do. These first 10 kits will be ready for delivery around the first week of April 2020.

This means I can finally offer you a long-awaited opportunity to secure one of the first 10 production DP-1 / O-100 aircraft engine kits. Nowhere else does modern technology and CAD/CAM precision come with 80 years of safety and trustworthiness.

You can pre-order now with a deposit of $3,000, and get a kit with serial number 002, 004, 005, 006, 007, 008, 009 or 010 (001 & 003 are already committed). Not only will you be part of the launch of the most anticipated engine in many years, you’ll be part of what will be recognized as an historically significant development in personal aviation.

But please don’t put it in a museum; assemble the engine, bolt it onto your aircraft, push the throttle forward, and fly it. Best of all, for the people who stuck with us for all these years, through the whole development and “birthing” process, I will hold these initial production engines to the original price estimate from 5 years ago: $4,495 !

With your order, you will receive a complete list of the (new or used) parts required to complete the O-100 engine from the kit. You will be able to “bargain-hunt” or source new parts ahead of time, saving even more money. Why not start assembly the day you receive the kit!

I THANK YOU sincerely for your loyalty and patience while we developed this into a world class aircraft engine. It hasn’t been easy for me to wait this long either (trust me), but being able to provide the highest quality small aircraft powerplant possible was worth the wait.

Fly Close,

Pete
woodwingdoc@yahoo.com
(Dealer/Distributor/Stakeholder inquiries are (finally) welcome – come make history with us!)

Last edited:

dragon2knight

HBA Supporter
This is so good to hear after so many years of hoping this would be brought to fruition! Best of luck to you Pete!
And I'd like to add a BIG thanks to Victor Bravo for steadfastly providing all the information and updates over the years as well--you're the main reason I (and I'm sure many others) thought/hoped/prayed this was more than a pipe dream :beer:

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
VB, thanks for the update, this is great news. Is there an estimate yet of what those other parts needed to build the engine will cost? Yes, it will be variable based on scrounging ability, but if Pete has the list of parts needed maybe someone has already surveyed the usual sources and compiled a rough estimate?

ETA: Regarding the cost of Pete's kit: I noted that Dana's first post in this thread gave an estimated kit price of $2500. But, that was over 7 years ago, so an upward change is not surprising or unwarranted.

Last edited:

Victor Bravo

As I responded to someone in a PM just now, talk to Pete about that. He's the creative genius and knows what parts are needed. I'm just the official "company big-mouth". What I DO know for sure is that you will get a new crankcase, new crankshaft, and (unless you opt out?) a multi-mount rear accessory case. You will get rear Continental style "mounting ears" AND bed style mounting options built in.

I believe you will also get higher quality rods and pistons as part of the kit.

I do know you will have to provide your own new or used cylinder and top end assemblies (cyl's, valves and valve train, rockers, pushrods).

I believe you will need to have your own O-200 cam (and cut it), and probably the large cam/mag gears, oil pump gears, and oil pressure relief valve.

You will definitely need your own carburetor (many good low-cost choices, from motorcycle carbs to Ellison to EFI) and ignition system (traditional mags, P-mags, Klaus or Ross EI, etc.)

You will need your own oil tank, either Continental, custom fab, or dry sump remote system, to suit the airframe and application.

Again these are my understanding but I DO NOT have the very latest details on that and I cannot speak for Pete on those details.

Victor Bravo

We were supposed to video an engine build-up last weekend but Pete's Dad had to go into Assisted Living and he needed to be there for that. Sometime here within the next couple of weeks Pete will be assembling a production engine and creating the video that will serve as part of the instruction manual. Needless to say, I'll make sure that video gets up on his website or posted here.

Last edited:
Group Builder