O-100-- interesting new engine

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

blane.c

HBA Supporter
Guessing total weight of cooling would be less than 10lbs, probably 7 or 8. Around 2 1/2 - 3 quarts coolant plus radiator and hoses and mounting. It is interesting but to take full advantage of its principles needs fuel injection in my opinion, why go so far forward in engine design and thinking and then pull back at the last second to duel carbs? It is silly.

I "guess" from other threads that the big problem with fuel injection is "lead". Leaded aviation gas is the normal and usually only gas fuel at airports and a problem for many fuel injection systems because they rely on the Lambda probe (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygen_sensor) which clogs up and becomes useless with leaded fuel causing the fuel injection system to perform unreliably. The simple solution (from a technological perspective not a political or aviation based opinion one) is to provide lead free fuel at airports. Lead free fuel is coming sometime in the future, maybe we as an aviation community should start figuring out how to include it better ourselves before something stupid is shoved down our throats? With lead free gasoline fuel injection is more easily integrated into common aviation. Fuel injection is more efficient than carburation for the majority of users. Efficiency is increasingly important for a number of reasons. Lead free gas is a key ingredient to a affordable fuel injection system.

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
Lead free gas is a key ingredient to a affordable fuel injection system.
An 'open loop' EFI system works fine with leaded fuel (because it has no lambda sensor). And, in aircraft use, the efficiency isn't much different from a closed loop system. But, closed loop systems predominate in the consumer market because unleaded fuel is available, the sensors are cheap, and efficiency is good when at idle/low power/changing power (which is not where an airplane engine spends much time).

Last edited:

galapoola

there's some basic items missing . . .
It appears that creating a 1/2 0-200 or 1/2 VW is not that easy. I've been casually watching for some progress on Lone Star Light Sport's Javelina. Great idea, throw some Harley jugs on a VW case. You increase the displacement, horsepower and cooling. Haven't seen this one running yet so the fact that Pete has not only run his engine, he's flown with it. It's quite an accomplishment.

blane.c

HBA Supporter
An 'open loop' EFI system works fine with leaded fuel (because it has no lambda sensor). And, in aircraft use, the efficiency isn't much different from a closed loop system. But, closed loop systems predominate in the consumer market because unleaded fuel is available, the sensors are cheap, and efficiency is good when at idle/low power/changing power (which is not where an airplane engine spends much time).

Without a Lambda how does the computer know how the fuel air mixture being fed into the engine is responding regarding efficiency?

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
Without a Lambda how does the computer know how the fuel air mixture being fed into the engine is responding regarding efficiency?
It doesn't, other than maybe using EGT feedback. That is why you set up a fuel and timing map, using the O2 to get the numbers for that map.

blane.c

HBA Supporter
It doesn't, other than maybe using EGT feedback. That is why you set up a fuel and timing map, using the O2 to get the numbers for that map.
So with open loop there is no real time information about combustion efficiency, the computer relies on historical data to predict results?

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
@Victor Bravo - Is there any word from Pete on the first batch of "production-conforming" engines? IIRC, he was in the process of assembling them last we heard, and that these were going to go into some other airplanes for additional flight testing.

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
So with open loop there is no real time information about combustion efficiency, the computer relies on historical data to predict results?
It uses quite a bit of "historical data"-- it can include everything that makes a significant impact. RPM, air temp, air density, EGT, etc. Often an expendable lambda sensor can be put in during the initial setup to confirm that things are right, then removed (because it isn't needed and will die soon because of the lead in the fuel. Russ's aviation systems are open loop and have good efficiency and overall performance. The SDS website provides good info on the open vs closed loop question and info on all the data used by the open loop system.
If I had a closed loop aviation EFI, I'd still want it to give very good open loop performance if the lambda sensor fails.

ScaleBirdsScott

I made some contact with Hent to clarify what was going on and what the plans were. The response was they are looking for someone interested in buying the prototype to put it into serial production as they don't have the infrastructure to make a proper go of production. So, that makes sense. I can respect the effort to do a proper prototype job and be satisfied with that.

PW_Plack

An 'open loop' EFI system works fine with leaded fuel (because it has no lambda sensor). And, in aircraft use, the efficiency isn't much different from a closed loop system.
That depends on which open-loop system you're talking about. If it's an electronic system which accurately senses air temp and density and is programmed properly, I agree. If it's the mechanically-regulated system on a Lycoming, efficiency requires pilot attention to the manual mixture control.

12notes

Lifetime Supporter
Log Member
That depends on which open-loop system you're talking about. If it's an electronic system which accurately senses air temp and density and is programmed properly, I agree. If it's the mechanically-regulated system on a Lycoming, efficiency requires pilot attention to the manual mixture control.
The "E" in EFI stands for "Electronic", so while it is fuel injected, the Lycoming doesn't have an open loop EFI system that Vigilant1 was talking about.

Victor Bravo

Great News !

The first batch of 10 initial production forged crankshafts has finally arrived at Pete's shop by truck today! These are the improved forgings, to the final design, and the O-100 production serial numbers begin with these crankshafts.

They represent the first batch of cranks, for the first batch of 9 limited release engines, which will be going to the "fleet data acquisition" customers. The tenth crankshaft is now being shipped to the testing company for metallurgy test, and this is also the one that will go into the engine that will be "torture tested" for the eventual ASTM certification.

What this means is that (when the torture testing is complete and final production of these same cranks begins) the experimental aircraft customers who have these early crankshafts in their engines have the very same crank that will be certified.

Pete will soon be beginning to assemble the first engine, thoroughly documenting it with live video and audio. We will then be creating a written and illustrated assembly manual to go along with this video, so that customer engine assembly is simple and straightforward.

Knowing this was pending, I purchased a Ridge Runner airframe that is scheduled to be fitted with the O-100 engine ASAP, to serve as a flight demonstrator and fleet time-builder. It will be used by me and/or perhaps other team pilots to demonstrate at aviation events, fly-ins, etc.

This aircraft will allow the O-100 to simultaneously demonstrate its value and relevance to the "Normal Airport" GA and LSA market segment, the Off-Airport (single seat) market segment, and the 2-Stroke Replacement Ultralight market segment.

Visually, Pete Plumb and Orson Welles are just about polar opposites. Pete's skinny as a rail, and Orson bless his heart was, well... rotund :) You wouldn't think they had anything in common. But taking a page from Orson's famous TV commercial, we see that when it comes to flight safety, manufacturing quality and reliability - they would indeed agree:

We will serve no crankshaft before it's time :)

And now, it's finally ****ing time !!!

BJC

HBA Supporter
Knowing this was pending, I purchased a Ridge Runner airframe that is scheduled to be fitted with the O-100 engine ASAP, to serve as a flight demonstrator and fleet time-builder. It will be used by me and/or perhaps other team pilots to demonstrate at aviation events, fly-ins, etc.
That sounds like an excellent combination. Please plan on having it at Un n Fun.

BJC

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
this is also the one that will go into the engine that will be "torture tested" for the eventual ASTM certification.
Happy to hear that this is in the future. ASTM will open a lot more market share for him....... and others needing this power range for their planes.

Egg makes chicken.