O-100-- interesting new engine

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

galapoola

I've been interested in the Merlin single seat from Aeromarine. Chip has been successful with the HKS 700 which is appears to be 121 lbs dry with all the accessories. Pete has the 0-100 at 105# dry as pictured on his page so add exhaust, carb heat shroud and oil cooler, the two should be about the same weight. The width listed on Wikipedia for an 0-200 is 31.5" and the cockpit width (assuming that is interior) of the Merlin is 27.5" That's manageable for a fully enclosed cowl. May have a bump or two, possibly sides wider before firewall for the heat to flow out. The HKS take off power is 60hp, the 0-100 should be somewhere in that ballpark. I know Chip had wanted an 0-100 for that plane so he could build a firewall forward kit. All very nice in my mind.

BJC

HBA Supporter
I really like the Merlin, and I believe that the O-100 would be a very good engine for it.

The interior has limited leg / knee / shin clearance for me, at 6’ 2”. Repositioning structural components would be necessary to make more room.

BJC

galapoola

"The interior has limited leg / knee / shin clearance for me, at 6’ 2”. Repositioning structural components would be necessary to make more room"

That's disappointing to hear. I've only seen one at Chip's home airport. It was being built by one of his friends who lives there. The demonstrator was at a show. Couldn't sit in it, no seat and wires all over the place.

dragon2knight

HBA Supporter
"The interior has limited leg / knee / shin clearance for me, at 6’ 2”. Repositioning structural components would be necessary to make more room"

That's disappointing to hear. I've only seen one at Chip's home airport. It was being built by one of his friends who lives there. The demonstrator was at a show. Couldn't sit in it, no seat and wires all over the place.
Being a shorter, but wider type(5'6", 200 pounds) I fit in it just fine with plenty of room in all directions as I found out at Oshkosh last year. There was a guy right next to me over 6' easily and he also fit well with more than enough knee/head room. Agreed, always a good idea to try an aircraft on for size beforehand so you know for sure.

PagoBay

Friend here is discussing with Chip. Advises that Aeromarine's Merlin PSA is changing over from the HKS 700e to a V Twin engine adapted from an ATV. Chip is about to begin full flight testing. FWF approx $8k. Details on the engine in a trike here...
Here is what the owner/pilot says about the engine:
"Engine is an 800 V Twin from the Hisun utility quad, 61 hp is gentle tune from a four valve motor, they are sold in the USA. Redrive was machined by a Brit friend who has a factory in Ooty, India, price point is low for the quality. "
RMM - Guam

cheapracer

Log Member
Group Builder