O-100-- interesting new engine

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

blane.c

HBA Supporter
It would be helpful if someone was "betting" on the DP-1 coming to fruition and was looking for "deals" on cylinders if there was some info on piston sizes and compatibility other than stock bore in new cylinder.

Victor Bravo

Three O-100 customers can buy a cheap mid time O-300, take the cylinders, valves and lifters, and sell the rest off. Or you can buy new parts.more choices with this engine than most others.

blane.c

HBA Supporter
I get all that, but if you are going to scrounge parts then having pistons to fit bored over cylinders and/or compatible with chromed is a necessity? I am not as worried as much about the pistons themselves in a chromed cylinder it is the rings, chrome moly rings on a chromed cylinder doesn't sound good kinda' thing.

TFF

Any overbore airplane cylinder, not custom, still has to fit the stock case. If you have one that is over that fits certified specs, it’s going to work. Chrome usually goes back to standard bore. No chrome on chrome. Have to have cast rings with chrome bores. Usually over size and chrome means that cylinder has lots and lots of time on it.

Side note, not as much chroming goes on as it use to. Lycoming with Continental following suit started destroying takeoff cylinders that use to feed the overhaul chrome businesses. Mostly for name protection, no matter what is inside, the name brand will get blamed no matter the guts, might as well make sure they really are to blame. new millennium cylinders with pistons is about $1100. Chrome your own cylinders is 500 and you still need rings and maybe more. My 290 is chrome. It was done twenty years ago. The nice thing of chrome is they don’t rust.

With all the pretty new parts of a new 0-100, I would find it hard to put old worn out cylinders on it. First overhaul used engine, I might feel different.

blane.c

HBA Supporter
Millenniums

O-200 Millennium air power.png

O-200 -a20p.png

Continental

O-200 Cont. air power.png

None have rocker arms (discussed before) which cost for a pair as much or more as the cylinders.

If you tell me I should buy new cylinders but that I should scrounge and get used rocker arms you are going to sound like a politician.

So the real cost of new cylinders with new rocker arms is going to approach or exceed $4,000.00.

Ergo my previous questions.

12notes

Lifetime Supporter
Log Member
The website states that the kit uses O-200 parts - "cylinders, valves, accessory case, intake tubes and rubber connectors, bearings, gaskets, gears, lifters, pushrods, oil tank etc. ", but this list is a little vague with that "etc" at the end. There were 5 versions of O-200, which versions have different parts that are incompatible with the kit or each other? For example, will an O-200A pushrod work with O-200D lifters? Will only one accessory case work with the kit, or all of them? I'm pretty much in the dark here.

Has Pete or anyone else put together a list of every single part needed to build a complete O-100 engine? This would be helpful in determining actual costs of a completed engine. A recommendation of where to purchase quality used parts when a donor O-200 isn't available or practical would also be helpful. I've never worked on a Continental, there's not much chance of someone like me purchasing a kit without this kind of information available. Although, to be fair, looking at my bank account, there's not much chance of me purchasing a kit soon anyway.

sharpvector

Looks like the O-100 has some serious competition coming out soon. Here's a Youtube video, (with the same type of cheesy music).

12notes

Lifetime Supporter
Log Member
One big advantage to the Hent - 21 lbs. lighter at 84 lbs makes it a direct replacement for a 1/2VW. I know the coolant will add some weight, but unless it's a huge radiator and 3 gallons of coolant, it'll be significantly lighter than a O-100.

A bit premature to say the O-100 is better, since there's little information on the Hent. We have no idea what the total cost of either engine is, so the relative value of both is currently zero.

Group Builder