Quantcast

Need help choosing next project

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Tiger Tim

I personally think the Farman Carte Postale is the neatest from the list. In general, it's a fairly normal airplane that I think any pilot can relate to and picture themselves flying, but just look at how much character it has!

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
I personally think the Farman Carte Postale is the neatest from the list. In general, it's a fairly normal airplane that I think any pilot can relate to and picture themselves flying, but just look at how much character it has!
If I remember right, the Carte Postale ("post card") was made using section of Farman Goliath wing. It's definitely cool, though it might be worth increasing the size of that rudder.

494033855_db278817ca.jpg Farman-goliath.jpg

cscardinal

cscardinal,

Obviously, your final project selection may well be driven by the resources you can find. There are many fantastic old aircraft out there for which plans are impossible to find. Shuttleworth might have drawings for the ones in their collection, and the research library at Le Bourget is quite helpful on French designs though only open to the public one Saturday a month.

Speaking of French designs, you might be interested in this thread, including some original Farman brochures at the end: http://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forums/general-experimental-aviation-questions/10088-interest-modern-incarnation-farman-f-455-moustique.html

Any chance you could share the DXF Wren plans or even reduced-quality PDF or image files ? I'd love to see how it was put together.

You won't be disappointed by the Richard Riding book, it's one of my absolute favorites. I bought mine new when living in England in the 1990s and it's well-worn from use even though it's a well-made hardcover.

Cheers,

Matthew
WREN: Build off: English-Electric Wren - RC Groups

Attachments

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Thanks, cscardinal, but I wonder if I misunderstood...this appears to be a DXF file of plans for a model English Electric Wren, not the full-size original.

Tiger Tim

If I remember right, the Carte Postale ("post card") was made using section of Farman Goliath wing.
I once read a period comment that Farman wings were "Made by the mile and sawn off as needed." I'm sure it wasn't ever that literal but it's a fun thought...

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
That is fun, though I suspect it was intended as a jab at the squared-off wingtips that Farman favored for a time.

Here's are a couple of pics of models in flight that give a nice sense of what a real, full-size replica Carte Postale might look like.

a179490-198-flight1.jpg farman_carte_postale.jpg

Last edited:

Victor Bravo

You have to decide what materials you want to work with, how much time you are willing to spend building, and how much of a "flyer" versus a "display" airplane you want to wind up with.

Without this basic decision matrix, all of us (including the OP) are spinning our wheels.

cscardinal

You have to decide what materials you want to work with, how much time you are willing to spend building, and how much of a "flyer" versus a "display" airplane you want to wind up with.

Without this basic decision matrix, all of us (including the OP) are spinning our wheels.
Indeed. Which is why I am leaning HEAVILY towards either the Farman "Carte Postale" or the enclosed AVRO Type F. They are more "aircraft" than the other choices, and might actually be enjoyable to take out on a nice day. With the Farman, I could even bring a (daring) friend.

As much as I'd like to build a bundle of sticks, these are much more "doable".

Chris

cscardinal

Thanks, cscardinal, but I wonder if I misunderstood...this appears to be a DXF file of plans for a model English Electric Wren, not the full-size original.
I mentioned them more for their use as a size and layout reference. You could always scale up as needed.

Chris

cscardinal

So one more aircraft as come to my attention, and it may have my "bundle of sticks" look and feel plus flyability in one package. I present the Airco DH-2. Small and fun looking, it fits in with both the pioneer and the WWI crowds.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airco_DH.2

That said, it is still a toss up between the AVRO Type F and the Farman Carte Postale. Knowing the only Carte Postale was destroyed puts it in the lead, as there is an AVRO replica hanging from the ceiling at MOSI.

The trouble is, there are so many great looking planes out there, that the more research I do the more I uncover. I've found more early AVRO designs than I knew existed! Those RC guys have it easy, they can fill the basement with every plane they want. LOL I could add more to the list every day: Caudron Monoplane, AVRO Type D, Etc...

Chris

Airco_DH-2_3_vues.jpg

Last edited:

FritzW

Log Member
it is still a toss up between the AVRO Type F and the Farman Carte Postale.
I'm trying to send a subliminal text message: ...a...v...r...o...f......a...v...r...o...f......a...v...r...o...f...

A while back got enamored with the AVRO F. I built the little card stock model from Fiddlers Green for insperation and made a few SolidWorks doodles of a VW powered AVRO F. I think it would be as much fun to build it as it would to fly it.

TFF

As. WW1 buff and lover of a DH2. It is a pretty big airplane, volume wise. They supposedly fly good and years ago I think sands had plans.

FritzW

Log Member
As. WW1 buff and lover of a DH2. It is a pretty big airplane, volume wise. They supposedly fly good and years ago I think sands had plans.
Redfern had DH-2 plans several years ago, his son has taken over the Redfern Plans business. I talked to him a year or two ago (he lives about two miles from me) but he didn't have the DH-2 plans "in stock" so I went home with a set of Dr-1 plans instead. His DH-2 is very authentic and probably a pretty challenging build.

Airdrome Aeroplanes has a 75% DH-2 but it's not super authentic looking.

FritzW

Log Member
...I wonder if it's (AVRO F) still too modern for my pioneer aspirations.
Just a thought... The AVRO F came out in 1912, 2 years before WW-1 started. Only 9 years after the Wright Brothers first flight (14 years before the Carte Postale).

...besides if you build one I can use your plans to build mine:gig: