Modern day "motorcycle of the air" aircraft class?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

erkki67

Ive been flying with trikes fore some years, it was never a problem with the legs out in the wind.

of course, if the fuselage would get a bit wider to sit in, you would gain some knots of airspeed, but the sit on top is not for speed demons.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Does the Aeromax 1+1 solo from the front seat or the back? With a very light aircraft, often the latter is preferable to limit CG travel with and without a passenger.

Victor Bravo

I own a reubuilder project that has this "1+1" seating arrangement, and it is a joke. It's just not realistic, having actually sat in the airplane and imagined anyone else in there with me.

For whatever it may be worth to the sketchers and dreamers and SolidWorks artists... I humbly suggest that before you invest any time or money into a 1+1 airplane, make a plywood mock-up of the cockpit or cabin and sit in there with your significant other, or friend, or main squeeze, or grandkids, etc. and determine whether you could actually fly safely.

Victor Bravo

"Possible", of course it is possible. I have no experience at all with weight shift trikes, so maybe it is a completely worthwhile configuration in a trike. Perhaps because the control of a trike is different???

Any aircraft or air vehicle where the pilot and passenger are uncomfortable, or could not move around freely, or would be highly impaired in an emergency exit - just doesn't make sense to me.

I certainly realize millions of people ride motorcycles that way.

ScaleBirdsScott

What's the difference between 1+1 and just a compact 2-seat tandem? Is it the lack of passenger controls? Or more how tightly packed the passenger is?

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
I would say both as it's possible to be tightly packed with dual controls or have lots of space but no dual controls. Another factor might be whether or not you can carry full fuel with a typical passenger.

What's the difference between 1+1 and just a compact 2-seat tandem? Is it the lack of passenger controls? Or more how tightly packed the passenger is?

ARP

Actually almost every 2seat trike is a 1+1 configuration. So why shouldn't this be possible in 3-axis bird?
On a weight shift trike the CG works through the pivot point and so the CG remains in a constant position. I guess if you were to suspend the pilot+1 in a 3-axis within a pivoting cage then it might work but control linkages would be a nightmare!

thjakits

Hey Fred,

did you ever start to build or are you still contemplating? (I know the feeling!!)

As it looks - a few of your original requirements are quite contradictory - did you ever update the requirements?

As I see it you have an interesting selection to build towards:

- Cri-Cri with 2 turbines
- Hummel Bird - although that will need a few horses to run well
- Build your own single version of a Vari-Eze
- THIS -
and
- HORTEN style flying wing/BWB with prone pilot position

All would comply with your requirment of mostly unimpeded view...

thjakits

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
A question...

How does the drag having your legs out like that, compared to just making the thing a bit wider?
There is nothing about any aircraft in this thread that's about "performance." Drag reduction is not a consideration, any more than it is for ultralights, and for similar reasons.

Is the Plank buildable as a Bushplane with the touch of Fritz Designelements?
Flying planks in particular, and tailless aircraft in general, make poor-to-totally-inadequate "bush" aircraft. Planks do not have a lot of pitch authority to rotate on rough ground, and that lack of pitch authority means the main wheel is almost directly on the CG. Very easy to tip the airplane back onto its (lack of) tail.

These are essentially hard-surface-runway aircraft, or well-groomed grass.

erkki67

There is nothing about any aircraft in this thread that's about "performance." Drag reduction is not a consideration, any more than it is for ultralights, and for similar reasons.

Flying planks in particular, and tailless aircraft in general, make poor-to-totally-inadequate "bush" aircraft. Planks do not have a lot of pitch authority to rotate on rough ground, and that lack of pitch authority means the main wheel is almost directly on the CG. Very easy to tip the airplane back onto its (lack of) tail.

These are essentially hard-surface-runway aircraft, or well-groomed grass.
And what about a nose wheel bush version?