Modern day "motorcycle of the air" aircraft class?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

FritzW

Log Member
Those are mostly just zoom in on details so I can remember how it all goes together. Some are just to answer people who ask "what's that?" (there's a lot of foot traffic through our hangar).

Is there something specific you wanted to see?

EzyBuildWing

You want EXTREME Fun-Flying... well, check this out! ....you ain't never seen Fun-flying like this before!!!!

Here it is guys, ....I found it! .....here's your "Motor Cycle of the Air"...
It has a simple, cheap 2-stroke motor....Rotax, Hirth, MZ-202 2-stroke helicopter engine etc, .....or if you want you can even have an entry-level Rotax 4-stroke.....

check it out..... be sure to maximize your screen….!

geaton196

You want EXTREME Fun-Flying... well, check this out! ....you ain't never seen Fun-flying like this before!!!!

Here it is guys, ....I found it! .....here's your "Motor Cycle of the Air"...
It has a simple, cheap 2-stroke motor....Rotax, Hirth, MZ-202 2-stroke helicopter engine etc, .....or if you want you can even have an entry-level Rotax 4-stroke.....

check it out..... be sure to maximize your screen….!
anyone know what flying machine that is? fun to watch video

EzyBuildWing

Your Motorcyle of the Air has to be STOL, right? So look no further....here's real STOL,,,just watch the vid below !!!!
More fun that DRACO.....ideal for canyon-surfing, wave-top & beach cruising right on the deck etc....
And has to do loops/rolls/spins/and have ballistic-chute....and be a 2-seater too !!!!
And has a super-reliable 2-stroke fan-cooled "helicopter-engine" for simplicity/lightness/economy etc" MZ202.....
Yep....this one ticks all the boxes....

erkki67

Hello Fritz

i know what I said about the tubing structure, but the Penetrateris still biting me, so as do the red low wing and Ranger as well.

Would you have the time to integrate the red low wing wing structure onto the simple tube fuselage of the Penetrater, with the tailvolume of your design?

and second why not a parasol with the same idea.

Sockmonkey or rtfm had a similar idea some time back.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Here's a pic of the Farnham FC-1 Fly-Cycle from a period French magazine and the text (there were no pics) of a short write-up in the April 1954 Sport Aviation.

Farnham FC-1 N201A.png

Screenshot 2020-03-06 at 7.21.52 AM.png Screenshot 2020-03-06 at 7.23.57 AM.png Screenshot 2020-03-06 at 7.24.10 AM.png

I found a model plane of the Farnham Fly Cycle an interesting variation, the plan doesn't mention it being a scale model. But I'm thinking it's probably close https://aerofred.com/details.php?image_id=81242 . Aerofiles shows "Farnham Lawrence Farnham, Fort Collins CO. FC-1 Fly-Cycle 1954 = 1pOlwM; 75hp Continental A-75; span: 29'7" length: 19'0" v: 85/x/30 range: 150. A genuine flying motorbike; the pilot had no cockpit, but rode the plane sitting astride the fuselage with his feet resting on the wings. Control was by means of handlebars and a twist-grip trottle in the right grip. As a "working" plane, containers for crop-spraying could be carried in its wings. [N201A]." So it looks like it flew at Fort Collins, CO which implies it isn't as badly restricted by Density Altitude. The only pictures I can find a reference to are in a couple of Old Sport Aviations the first being May 1954 page 5, and March 1956. Anyone got copies of these old Sport Aviations they can scan & post ?

Last edited:

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Yup, that is one of Fritz's best ideas and I can totally see a bunch of them in different colors flying around with cheap VW engines and Verner 3Vs for the big spenders.

dog, in all seriousness I don't think anything that messes with airflow over the canard is a great idea. The canard pusher version could have the canard on little struts above the fuselage or you could use a motorcycle seating position to get your feet out of the way.

erkki67

Beside the Ranger, this little red low wing sit on top is a hot little contender being built in masses if made available in plans form.

a half VW or the Verner why not, I’d like to see a 650cc V engine on it, an industrial engine or an ATV engine, or why not the Marenco 250cc engine.