Quantcast

Modern day "motorcycle of the air" aircraft class?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

delta

I think this one might be a little more problematic to work out, and the visibility's not as good. The outer wing panels are intended to be removable on each one for a less than 96" road legal width.walter.JPG

Speedboat100

Yes this motorcycle idea is great.

I think you have to able to take a passenger behind you just like in a motorcycle..both strapped of course.

Speedboat100

And then there's these guys, who actually did some of that evil "math" and ran the numbers:

There's been a lot of talk on this site lately about how you "don't need to go to all that trouble" and how "engineers just like to over-complicate things with incomprehensible math" but the fact is, the odds of actual success go way up when you do.

That is the real motorcycle of the air...12 hp.

Urquiola

I guess an approach to 'Flying motorcycle' can be a Triplane version of 'Bumble Bee II', with larger wings, see
Or a less than 250 cm wingspan, updated, Scroggs' 'Flying Dart', patent US 1.848.578 For ultralight Aircraft, weight is limited in 115 kg, the difficulty in a machine able to run on roads and also fly could be in the passive safety measures imposed to road vehicles, that add weight. Also, a minor crash that will allow a road machine running, will put out of flight same machine. Salut +

Last edited:

BJC

HBA Supporter
I guess an approach to 'Flying motorcycle' can be a Triplane version of 'Bumble Bee II', with larger wings, see
Or a less than 250 cm wingspan, updated, Scroggs' 'Flying Dart', patent US 1.848.578 For ultralight Aircraft, weight is limited in 115 kg, the difficulty in a machine able to run on roads and also fly could be in the passive safety measures imposed to road vehicles, that add weight. Also, a minor crash that will allow a road machine running, will put out of flight same machine. Salut +
Please send that pilot's name to Peter.

BJC

Aerowerx

Is there an optical illusion at 3:55 of the Wright Flyer video...props seem to rotate real slow ?
You shouldn't judge rotation rates from videos. Or in this case, movie film converted to video.

You've never seen car wheels turning backwards on TV?

What you see is a stroboscopic artifact caused by interaction of the different frame rates and the actual RPM of the prop.

erkki67

Aerowerx

Aerowerx, i wonder if such a bird has ever flown?
Good question.

I got the plans for that, and several others from the same designer, several years ago when they where available as instant download. I just wanted them as a reference as to the construction techniques. Beyond that, I know nothing.

erkki67