LMA Build in the UK, to SSDR spec.

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

ToddK

HBA Supporter
Not building one. I have a clean sheet cabin plane design that is 80% complete, but I am struggling with the upper cabin and wing attach points (tube Spars). I am about ready to surrender to a welded upper cabin.

flywheel1935

Not building one. I have a clean sheet cabin plane design that is 80% complete, but I am struggling with the upper cabin and wing attach points (tube Spars). I am about ready to surrender to a welded upper cabin.
To be honest the general engineering on the LMA is pretty poor, I'm only building it because a very close friend gave it to me. I am working on a clean sheet design, using the old drawings just for basic dimensions,but be very interested in seeing your design. Also looking at the Badlands Aircraft design, as it suits the Deregulated UK spec SSDR (Single Seat De Regulated). Alan.

ToddK

HBA Supporter
To be honest the general engineering on the LMA is pretty poor, I'm only building it because a very close friend gave it to me. I am working on a clean sheet design, using the old drawings just for basic dimensions,but be very interested in seeing your design. Also looking at the Badlands Aircraft design, as it suits the Deregulated UK spec SSDR (Single Seat De Regulated). Alan.
I am not going to hijack your thread, so I won't post anymore then this. Mine is very different from the LMA. It uses a conventional tube spar truss wing with full span ailerons. The fuselage is primarily solid riveted aluminum angle with some gussets a few square tubes, some structurally blind rivets and a bare minimum amount of AN hardware. I really don't understand why nobody else has beat me too it. The only part that is giving me fits is the upper cabin. I have a design for it, but it might be too complicated. Going to build a mockup up first and let some people who know more them me look it over.

flywheel1935

I am not going to hijack your thread, so I won't post anymore then this. Mine is very different from the LMA. It uses a conventional tube spar truss wing with full span ailerons. The fuselage is primarily solid riveted aluminum angle with some gussets a few square tubes, some structurally blind rivets and a bare minimum amount of AN hardware. I really don't understand why nobody else has beat me too it. The only part that is giving me fits is the upper cabin. I have a design for it, but it might be too complicated. Going to build a mockup up first and let some people who know more them me look it over.
Think one of the Bede aircraft uses a similar construction, and your wing sounds like kitfox etc, still be nice to see. Or you could consider a 4130 CrMo ,
'cockpit' top structure. Beauty of this hobby is you can do (within reason) whats suits best ref use,design, budget etc.

flywheel1935

STOP PRESS !!!! Latest News,
Building will be on hold for a few weeks, we've lost the use of the Airstip & Hangar. The new owner ( The old owners son ) needs us off the premises as
"he can't get a mortgage on it with the aircraft there', ????
We have located a corner of a huge local barn, but there is no/limited option to fly in or out, so just clearing the hangar out, a very sad and annoying situation !!!

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Have him tell the bank that the revenue stream for the property (and thus the mortgage) comes from the people renting space in the hangar and using the airstrip, and would the bank rather their customer have an unstable, unreliable revenue stream - or a stable revenue stream?

TFF

A local turned his dads airport private. Keeps airport designation but keeps planes away. Kicked out the planes and plans on parking semi trailers on it.

flywheel1935

Have him tell the bank that the revenue stream for the property (and thus the mortgage) comes from the people renting space in the hangar and using the airstrip, and would the bank rather their customer have an unstable, unreliable revenue stream - or a stable revenue stream?
He went to a domestic property mortgage broker, not commercial, but he was so adamant that, we were the problem ? that even if he allowed us to stay. none of us want to anymore. End of an era , but start of a new one, such is life. Homebuilding in the UK is hard enough, but we will always find a way to keep up our hobby.
( As it involves the original owners son,there is a "family issue" that the sons mortgage money needs to resolve. 3 guesses what that may be 🤔 )
were all collateral damage.

pwood66889

Tough when your hangar-lord gets nasty. We just got a 9% reduction in our monthly rent by just offering a 6-month lease. It's that old bug-a-boo = supply and demand.