• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!
This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi there!

Lately, I've been so interested in building my own aircraft, as buying an aircraft here is almost impossible for many reasons (Governmental regulations, unavailability, unreasonable prices...etc). Our impression of airplanes here is nothing but a white stripe in the sky, not literally, but we barely see them. Me however, I am obsessed with them, I watch tons of videos about aircrafts on Youtube every day, until I developed an extreme desire to own and fly my own light aircraft. Therefore, I decided to take my chances and try to make a relatively light 2 seater aircraft to satisfy this constant urge of owning and flying an aircraft. Nevertheless, there are many potential obstacles that would get between me and my dream, such as finding propellers, finding reduction gears...etc, but the biggest obstacle that could get in my way is the engine.

One day I passed by an automobile repair shop, the mechanic was working on a Chinese minitruck, I noticed how small the engine was, and the first thing that came into my mind was: What if I used this engine in my airplane build? I usually see this minitruck on the roads carrying relatively big loads, and it has the reputation of being an economic and efficient small truck that many merchants and farmers rely on for transporting their goods and products. So I made some research on the internet, and this is what I found:

DFSKMinT1p2_1.jpg
  • Power maximum:58 kW
  • Power maximum total:58 kW
  • Power peak revs:6 000 r/min
  • Power to weight ratio:63 kW/ton
  • Torque maximum:103 Nm
  • Torque peak revs:2 800 - 5 000 r/min
  • Torque maximum total:103 Nm
  • Torque to weight ratio:113 Nm/ton
  • Acceleration 0-100 kmh:n/as
  • Maximum top speed:n/a km/h
  • Engine position/ location:front
  • Engine capacity:1 310 cc
  • Engine size:1.3l
  • enginedetailshort:1.3
  • Engine + detail:1.3
  • Cylinder layout:inline
  • Cylinders:4
  • Cylinder layout + quantity:i4
  • Cam:sohc
  • Valves per cylinder:2
  • Fuel Type:petrol
  • Fuel range average:n/a km
  • Driven wheels:rear
  • Driven wheels quantity:2
  • Gearratios quantity:5
  • Gearshift:manual
  • Transmission type:manual
  • Front tyres:155 R13LT
  • Reartyres:155 R13LT
  • Length:3 980 mm
  • Width excl mirrors incl mirrors:1 560 mm
  • Height:1 825 mm
  • Wheel base:2 515 mm
  • Turning circle wheels body:8.8 m
  • Unladen/tare/kerb weight:915 kg
  • Load carrying capacity / payload:900
  • Gross weight (GVM):1 900 kg
  • Fuel tank capacity (incl reserve):40l

The engine is pretty heavy though, it weighs around 220 pounds, which doesn't seem so promising! I mean the body of the finished airplane would weigh around 200 lbs at least without the engine! plus the engine that weight 220 lbs, and the two old fat passengers who weigh around 400 lbs, the total weight (Selfweight + engine + passengers) would be around 800 lbs at least, seems way too much for a mini truck's engine to handle.
So guys, what do you think?!!

Back