Quantcast

Inexpensive solo cross-country machines?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Pilot-34

Before I got my pilots license there was a small twin I flew in that had a funnel and tube system in the extreame rear of the plane . On the return flight from Kotzebue to Anchorage I learned how to hold an aircraft extremely steady on a heading .
You see early in the flight my young pilot friend handed over control of the aircraft me and said hold it steady while I go Pee.
The evil gremlins in my mind took over and I waited for him to get started with his business before kicking the rear of that plane around Like a berserk Mexican jumping bean..
Being young and stupid it took me several cups of coffee out his gallon size thermos to realize how he planned on extracting his revenge......

TerryM76

HBA Supporter
Add a aux tank and transfer pump added in baggage would give you what you are looking for in a CYGNET SF2A baggage and gear in the right seat. $15K flying or under $10K your budget may still need lights. +$400 if on Barnstormers it is still for sale as of 1/10/21 it is. It does Low and Slow local well too! If fuel budget is not an issue hit the coals!

Matt
That sounds like a good idea...I'm afraid I would modify it to the point of being a 1-seater but a slightly upsized version would be really interesting. When we get beyond this COVID situation I want to try one on......

That sounds like a good idea...I'm afraid I would modify it to the point of being a 1-seater but a slightly upsized version would be really interesting. When we get beyond this COVID situation I want to try one on......
Stop by O2C on your way to Oshkosh 21 call ahead. There is a project on BS modified enough not to be a Cygnet SF2A. Too big of ripple for me send me your email and I will send the write up and pictures I got from the seller.

Matt

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Of course I’m bias but Steve Wittman figured this out decades ago. Buttercup just answers a lot of needs and can be built with a Corvair which is pretty cool.

That said I just love the Sonerai. Fred K has flown all over the country in in for years.

I have plans for both that you could borrow to study.

Both are built pretty reasonable.

Of course I’m bias but Steve Wittman figured this out decades ago. Buttercup just answers a lot of needs and can be built with a Corvair which is pretty cool.

That said I just love the Sonerai. Fred K has flown all over the country in in for years.

I have plans for both that you could borrow to study.

Both are built pretty reasonable.
I may take you up on the Buttercup view. Fred has been flying the daylights out of his recently completed Wagabond which could fill the role as well. I do have a fresh 0-290 tucked in the corner .... Long term I may like the corvair better.

Matt

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
The beauty of a Sonerai is the airplane itself can he built at home almost complete from start to finish because the he wings come off easily enough to manage. You just don’t need a lot of room to build one. That’s a big advantage because often time a person can only build for 30 minutes at a time so that eliminates all travel to a airport hangar which takes time.

The Sonerai is such a wonderful airplane when built as a single seater. The low wing 2 seater built as a single seems like a smart affordable airplane.

TFF

The Sonerai two seater as one plus bags would be great. Not great if you need two people. I knew someone who used a Midget Mustang for day work trips if he did not need to carry something big. You can put 150 miles behind you pretty quick. He didn’t build that one, but he was almost finished with a second with more fuel. It was pretty nice, and the other must have been built straight as he had no complaints on handling.
Planes like the Sonerai, Tailwind, T-18, and such have the following that there is not much guesswork if you stay in the lane.

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Matthew, I have all the newsletters on CD’s for the Sonerai somewhere. Fred Keip did a really nice webinar on his Sonerai for EAA and it’s available on YouTube.