Inexpensive solo cross-country machines?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
On my normal flying days of 10 to `12 hrs in the air I would have no liquids in the morning and call Flight Service at 5 AM and take-off at about 6 AM. Fly 4 hrs and stop for fuel and bathroom break and no liquids at 10 AM and maybe eat an apple. Fly 4 more hours and have a snack without any liquids while flying at about noon and stop for fuel with a bathroom room break at about 2 PM At this time I would buy lots of liquids and put the airplane on autopilot and have a picnic with lots of liquids at about 2 hrs from landing.
It could be an after dark landing in the winter if I got a late take-off and I don't drink coffee, so I would load up on Coke so I am very alert after a full day of flying. Land and head for for the bathroom.
Worked for me for many years.

Rockiedog2

HBA Supporter
Pops
Was this one of your mapping type contracts? Part 91 operation?

12notes

Lifetime Supporter
Log Member
I can't remember if I had ever mentioned (here on HBA) an old story from my soaring days, about a nurse who told me she had something they used in hospitals called an "external urinary catheter". She said that using one of those, attaching it to a tube under my clothes, and then having a collection bag attached to the hose down by my ankle, would allow me to fly safely for many hours.

It was something like a triple thickness condom, with an instrument fitting sized hose barb on the end of it to attach the tube. I was all set to use this setup at a regional sailplane contest, somewhere around 1984 or so, and I went into the bathroom after the pilots meeting to install it. When I opened the package, I got scared to death, because the first thing I saw was a big roll of double-sided tape!
When I got my glider rating, my instructor gave me a package of one of them so I would have the manufacturer and part number of the external catheter with the least adhesive (I can post it if anyone wants to know). I find the seats in the glider too uncomfortable to fly more than 3 hours, so I've not had use for it.

Like Pops, on long drives I tend not to drink much, and drink Coke for caffeine if needed. I also eat something small every hour, no more than half a sandwich or a handful of chips. This keeps you well fed while not avoiding the post meal sleepiness.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Pops
Was this one of your mapping type contracts? Part 91 operation?
Doing inventory pictures for a company with locations over the eastern half of the U.S.
Also doing the mapping contracts were about the same amount of flying each day. Only difference is flying a grid in a location instead of long cross country flights. All Part 91

Added-- Also a lot of work for large engineering companies of their projects over the U.S. Advertising Companies, etc.
Lots of different work.

Last edited:

TFF

Pictures is covered in Pt119, commercial operations using 91 for operating. There is a list of simple commercial flying activities and if it exceeds those is when 119 tells you to get a 135 or a 121 or other specialty.

Brünner

HBA Supporter
Doing inventory pictures for a company with locations over the eastern half of the U.S.
Also doing the mapping contracts were about the same amount of flying each day. Only difference is flying a grid in a location instead of long cross country flights. All Part 91

Added-- Also a lot of work for large engineering companies of their projects over the U.S. Advertising Companies, etc.
Lots of different work.
Interesting.
What plane/s were you using for the job?

Thanks,
Brünner

ToddK

HBA Supporter
WOW how did I ever miss this ?

View attachment 106414

What a beauty...very sexyfull !

There is FB group. The designer died and the family have killed the design. A couple of guys are working on clearing up a few things in the plans and eventually making the a very slight different set of plans available under another name. Best place to get a set of BK 1 plans is from someone on the FB group.

blane.c

HBA Supporter
DC-4's ... well actually C-54's had little urinals just aft of the rear cargo door that peed outside. Mechanics working on the plane in the yard (gravel) would use it occasionally, when they did it in the winter it would freeze up and split the aluminum tube, then it peed inside.

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
Mechanics working on the plane in the yard (gravel) would use it occasionally, when they did it in the winter it would freeze up and split the aluminum tube, then it peed inside.
Crew leaves sign blocking urinal: MX, PLEASE JUST PISS DIRECTLY ON THE GROUND. PEE STINKS UP THE PLANE AND FREEZES/BREAKS THE DRAIN IN WINTER. ANYWAY, YOU ARENT FOOLING ANYONE. THX.

blane.c

HBA Supporter
Crew leaves sign blocking urinal: MX, PLEASE JUST PISS DIRECTLY ON THE GROUND. PEE STINKS UP THE PLANE AND FREEZES/BREAKS THE DRAIN IN WINTER. ANYWAY, YOU ARENT FOOLING ANYONE. THX.
Ah those mechanics have sense of humors that are not to be tested by intelligent pilots. I mean there is no telling what they would do in response to such a sign, it may involve all pilots and they may track down the "guilty party".

Latest posts