Impractical fun planes you would build if you had the time and money?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Georden

Seeing as I don't have the time with work to even build one plane, when I finally get the time to start I feel I need to pick something that can do as many missions as possible. If I had the time to build 3 or 4 planes I would love to build a knight twister. It would serve no purpose other than to be fun machine, and can't even take someone else with me, but I just think they look really cool.

So what would you guys build when the only goal is having a machine to play with?

Attachments

Holtzy3

I was going to say lancair evo but then you said impractical.... The evo is like the most practical turbo prop lol for me it would have to be a one design

Georden

A friend of mine built a Knight Twister. He would smoke about a pack of cigarettes after each flight trying to calm down.

Dan
Sounds fun.... Care to elaborate a little more? Looks like it could be a hand full to fly, another reason why it goes in the impractical category.

Riggerrob

Half-scale replica of a WW2 Blohm und Voss BV 141 assymetrical airplane. I would start by stealing an engine cowling off a WAR FW-190 replica. A single-seater replica would be impractical for anything more than poking fun at neo-Nazis. The paint scheme would be close to the original except for a circle of question marks on the vertical fin. Hah! Hah!

Lucrum

Log Member
Seeing as I don't have the time with work to even build one plane, when I finally get the time to start I feel I need to pick something that can do as many missions as possible. If I had the time to build 3 or 4 planes I would love to build a knight twister. It would serve no purpose other than to be fun machine, and can't even take someone else with me, but I just think they look really cool.

So what would you guys build when the only goal is having a machine to play with?
"Impractical" to build, fly or own/operate?

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Sounds fun.... Care to elaborate a little more? Looks like it could be a hand full to fly, another reason why it goes in the impractical category.
He had a 2000' farm strip with trees at each end and said that every time he flew it, " that D** airplane was trying to kill him". He wouldn't sell it and someone told me before he died in an auto accident he scraped it.

One time he had a 1937 Fairchild project for sale and I went to look at it. I told him that I wouldn't buy it. He ask why. I told him, at my age, I don't think I would live long enough to finish it. He said that was the reason he was selling it.

Dan

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Smith Miniplane. I still have the plans I bought from Mrs. Smith in 1980.
View attachment 38386
My only ground loop was with a Smith Miniplane when I was a student pilot. I hit a rough place in the 1800' grass field where most people were touching down and its bounced sideways and it turned and went off the side of the grass field and out into a hay field with hay about 4'-5' high. Locked up the right brake and spun it around on one wheel and chopped my way back to the runway. Had hay hanging all over the airplane. No damage except for grass stains.

Dan

Georden

"Impractical" to build, fly or own/operate?
I was hoping we could keep to aircraft you actually could build in a normal life span with a normal shop if you had the free time and the funds, but being HBA everything seems to slide deep into the land of fantasy.