Quantcast

Impractical fun planes you would build if you had the time and money?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

JamesG

Whut? Lots of surplus F-104 airframes around the world. Casting a big solid rocket motor isn't that hard and will easily fit in up the engine and fuel cell bays in a Starfighter. Line it up on a runway, lite the fuze and hold on.

rtfm

This thing:
View attachment 38378 ...thanks to Shawn:)

I REALLY like this little thing.

I'd build the wing/aft fuse and tail as an integral unit. Then the "fuse" could just go on the top. TWO small engines 15 - 20hp each) front and back. And I think you'd have a little ripper!

I'd ditch the v-tail though.

The RTFM Skybike.

Duncan
PS I like the plane, but I REALLY like her bare boobs!

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
[video=youtube;sKw0OlvrYRk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKw0OlvrYRk[/video]
I had that model as a kid! And the Snoopy biplane from the same series. Forgot all about it...

There's so many planes... Acro, fast, bush, floats, sailplane... I want one of each. But the ultimate impractical plane (well, it's practical for some things) would be Dean Wilson's Global Explorer.

Dana

Last edited by a moderator:

bmcj

HBA Supporter
I had the Flapjack too, but missed out on getting Snoopy. My Flapjack sat next to my Dave Diehl California (VW) Bug model.

+1 on the Wilson Global Explorer suggestion. I would also be tempted to build a lightweight version of the PT-19.

I think the reason for the funny and cartoonish proposals is that you asked for "impractical" build projects, and as builders and pilots, we see nothing impractical about building and flying any flyable plane.

OK, I'll try impractical: How about an X-24 (or maybe an X-15).

FritzW

Log Member
...but being HBA everything seems to slide deep into the land of fantasy.
Like LuCrum asked in post 12, you should probably define "impractical". Some airplanes may have a very narrow mission profile like the XF-85 Goblin but they're very practical if you need a fighter to drop out of a B-36. Same with the Wilson Explorer. If you need a "flying living room" it's very practical.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Vought V-173 replica, one 250HP engine mounted amidships, belt-driving a spanwise drive shaft through the ribs, and 90 degree gearboxes at the tips.

Then I'd go f*** with all the egomaniacal redneck Super Cub guys at the Valdez STOL contest. (yes, that's sour grapes and ill will from an unrelated issue)

delta

I'm building a single place, two stroke, tail dragging delta using unproven building methods and materials. I guess if I wanted practicality, I'd adapt a chainsaw engine to my bicycle. I'm not sure which would prove to be more fun and dangerous though.

Aesquire

Pretty much any plane I build will be fun and impractical. .....

But to answer the question honestly. .....a Fokker DVIII full scale with a Rotec 2800.

Sprucemoose

A Breezy, period. Oh, wait...

I wanted to build mine as a taildragger but I don't think there is any way. You'd need a stepladder to get into the seats.

BJC

HBA Supporter
A Breezy, period. Oh, wait...

I wanted to build mine as a taildragger but I don't think there is any way. You'd need a stepladder to get into the seats.
Walkway from the horizontal stabilizer up the fuselage to the front seat. Just have to remember to duck under the wing.

BJC

don january

HBA Supporter
Log Member
my father a cropduster of 31 years built a swinn bike for my brother that had a 32 inch. pusher prop, no shroud!! brother kept asking me to put fold out wings on it. I kept thinking of the time my dad pulled me down the road behind the family car on a homebuilt gyro copter all was good till the stick broke off in my hands at about 30 mph. HERE came the ditch darn thing drug me for 30 feet as I was hanging on to the right landing gear. rotor just a swingen:gig: really no kidden

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
why not go with the XF5u just to prove it would work?
Wing loading and STOL. I'm pretty sure the F5U would have relied on a lot of power to get it slow and operate off a small carrier deck. Although it would have had more wing than a Bearcat, it would not have been a light floaty airplane. The V-173 surely would have had a much lighter wing loading.

So winning one medium size lottery I'd go with the V-173, and if I won ten huge lotteries I might vindicate the F5U for the sake of vindication. To be honest, with any significant lottery winnings I have a plan and an idea to save small private aviation. And return the Taylorcraft type certificate to the Taylorcraft Owner's Club or start producing T-craft parts and airplanes. And lobby in DC for a law preventing real estate developer vermin from stealing airports. So I'd give up on the V-173, the ME-262, and a lot of other lottery dream stuff to make that difference. But that is yet another rant-filled thread that is separate from this discussion.

As for the other matter that BJC commented on... yeah, another thread for that, or better yet a beer at some airport cafe with a few of you muigs one day.

SVSUSteve

"Able to build in a normal shop"...well, if you assume deep pockets it is doable. I'm not going for a half scale WWII German fighter. I want the full size thing. Then again, I might get banned from the synagogue for actually doing either. LOL

Latest posts