Quantcast

Impractical fun planes you would build if you had the time and money?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

PTAirco

A Walrus - ever since I built a model of this as a kid I wanted on; amphibious, folding wings, lots of room inside for gear. Perfect fro those South American Biggles adventures.

walrus.jpg

Riggerrob

A Breezy, period. Oh, wait...

I wanted to build mine as a taildragger but I don't think there is any way. You'd need a stepladder to get into the seats.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Breezy is a ladder!
When they retire from flying, they become climbing bars on children's' playgrounds, mentoring the next generation of pilots.

I only have 4 jumps from a Breezy. That seat truly does get an inch narrower with every thousand feet of altitude!

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
How can you legally jump from a E-AB? (Aside from a legitimate emergency)

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Easy one. The PDQ-2. I've had my eye on this since I was a kid.
You know... a PDQ with two 10 or 12 HP R/C model engines mounted at the trailing edge of the wing (meaning not behind your !*#$&% head) would make a really neat little airplane.

Hmmmm.... 21st Century PDQ? Matthew???

And Topaz, the wingspan isn't necessarily set in stone, I mean with a set of tapered outer panels and more spar cross section, you might even have a self-..... I'm just sayin'

Now you've given me something interesting to do on the train home today !

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member

View attachment 56804
I was fascinated by that one when it came out, too (and it seemed perfect for a broke college student but alas, even that was out of my budget). But that engine, perched on a single pole just behind the pilot's head... the Kolb I had wasn't much different and much safer.

Dana

TerryM76

HBA Supporter
You know... a PDQ with two 10 or 12 HP R/C model engines mounted at the trailing edge of the wing (meaning not behind your !*#$&% head) would make a really neat little airplane.

Hmmmm.... 21st Century PDQ? Matthew???

And Topaz, the wingspan isn't necessarily set in stone, I mean with a set of tapered outer panels and more spar cross section, you might even have a self-..... I'm just sayin'

Now you've given me something interesting to do on the train home today !
Now that's a cool idea. 1/2 scale Breezy or Aircam.....I do like the shoulder mounted wing though. You could bring back the Mitchell P38.

lake_harley

Short wish list. Watson Windwagon. So tiny and "minimalist" I have to love it. Since my situation has me limited to Part 103 ultralights I could never legally fly one...too fast, stall too fast, probably a bit heavy even with a very careful, weight-conscious build....but hey, a boy can dream, can't he? Maybe I'll go rogue someday.

Lynn

homepage.jpg
windwagon.jpg

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
...meaning not behind your !*#$&% head)...
...But that engine, perched on a single pole just behind the pilot's head... the Kolb I had wasn't much different and much safer.
You know, I've heard all those arguments and, yes, they have some merit. But the way I see it, any crash in the PDQ-2 is going to end badly because of the near-complete lack of structure around the pilot, and the location of the engine doesn't really make for any realistic crash scenarios that are any worse than if the engine were elsewhere.

And since this thread was about "impractical"...

I'm sticking with the PDQ-2, thank you very much.

BJC

HBA Supporter
The thread is about planes you would build ..... no mention of having to fly it.

BJC. "Like the concept, don't want to fly it"

lake_harley

The thread is about planes you would build ..... no mention of having to fly it.

BJC. "Like the concept, don't want to fly it"
Well then, if that's the case, a Watson Windwagon would look great hanging from my shop ceiling. It certainly wouldn't take up much room and I could put it toward one corner...Hmmmm...

Lynn

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Generally, the Ops Limits expressly forbid intentional parachute jumping from an E-AB. So is glider towing, BTW. Nothing to do with compensation.
In a Breezy it wouldn't be a stretch to say the parachute jump wasn't intentional... :)

Dana

don january

HBA Supporter
Log Member

View attachment 56804
I've have a set of plans for the PDQ that the oh man gave me in the 70's. For years I have been collecting tubing, wheels+ rim's, and all kinds of needed material for the bird. It is the next build on my list and I thought about trying to figure a way to mount those old 12 foot floats under it and run a 1600 VW engine. I kinda like the idea of adding two engines but I don't worry much about a engine behind me. Chances are if ya hit hard enough to effect the engine your dead anyways..

Latest posts