• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

How can an absolute beginner get started with aircraft design?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WK95

Hi everyone. I'm a new member to these parts and to the world of aviation in general and my knowledge of airplanes really only goes as far as flight simulation with Lockheed's Prepar3D. I'm also a first-year mechanical engineering student at university and so far, my knowledge consists of First Year Calculus (Calculus I and II) and College Physics (I and II). Beyond that, I don't know squat about engineering design and development but I want to learn more on my own time. What I want to do is learn how to design an aircraft but not to actually build it any time soon if at all so this would be a very long term goal. The reason I want to do this is because I have had a great interest in aviation for a long time and my goal of a career as an engineer in the aerospace industry was also motivated by that interest. However, while I am doing very well in my classes, I am also getting bored so I wanted to do more learning on my own. Precisely, I want to start learning about the design of aircraft and in the process, also learn more about aviation in general, aircraft, engineer design and processes, etc. So in this sense, I'm not really setting out with the goal of making a perfect aircraft but rather the goal of learning more about design and engineering in a way that I can get excited and motivated. Ambitious? Yes but I'm patient and motivated. Now, of course I realize that this isn't going to be easy and certainly won't take me any less than many years of effort and devotion but everyone has to get started somewhere and sometime so I decided to get started now. So how do I get started? Or rather, how did you, a long time ago, start out with designing aircraft? Did you start learning about aircraft design after college? Did you do it after getting a pilot's license? What books did you study from? Any knowledge you wish to share, I would greatly appreciate. -Jon

Last edited:
Back