Hello from France

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

SuperSpinach

Hello everyone,

I finally decided to make my first post on the forum.

Let me make a short presentation of myself :

I'm a 20 year old guy living in France that has always been interested in aviation. I'm working on getting my PPL (22 hours of flight so far) and hopefully I'll start my 3 year apprenticeship to become an engineer this upcoming September (looking for an apprenticeship as I write this). I'm already working in the field of aeronautics : I just got a degree (not sure if it is the right term) in surface finishes as part on an apprenticeship and I used to work in the machineshops before that. I do not know the equivalent of my diploma in english so that's the best explanation I can give 😄.

I also have a small machine shop in my garage equipped with a lathe and metal shaper

Right now I'm reading as much as I can (currently reading Aircraft Design: A Conceptual Approach) as I would like to someday build my own aircraft and even maybe try designing / modifying one (in the long term).

This forum is super interesting even though I don't always understand the problems raised in some posts. But I'm sure I'll manage at some point after reading more.

Thank you for the amazing forum and the great ressources !

I'll keep following this forum very closely until I make my first posts (hopefully about my own homebuild 😁)

Cheers from France !

Last edited:

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Bienvenue dans le groupe, SuperSpinach, il y a quelques autres francophones ici ou ceux qui peuvent se débrouiller en français.

Aerowerx

.... I do not know the equivalent of my diploma in english so that's the best explanation I can give 😄.
Welcome!

The closest thing to what you describe is an Associates Degree. Usually a 2 year school here in the USA, in some technical based program.

pwood66889

Bon Jour! Am assembling my Ercoupe for flight, so an "apprenticeship" is available in NW Florida, USA. I'll sign off your work on my "engineer" (A&P?) certificate... :) Do wish you all the luck as aviation is a Great Ride!
BTW - Spinach was what an American actor called his Porterfield back in the 1930's / 40's.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
I also expect that our new member is in the French equivalent of an A&P course (British "engineer", American "mechanic" when talking about the people who maintain and repair aircraft).

SuperSpinach

Bonjour à tous,

Thank you all for your replies !

So to clarify as best as I can : I graduated highschool where I learned the machinist trade (3 years to graduate) and I just got an Associates Degree (in surface treatment and finishes) after 2 years of apprenticeship.

I also expect that our new member is in the French equivalent of an A&P course (British "engineer", American "mechanic" when talking about the people who maintain and repair aircraft).
I'm not sure if I got your sentence right but I'm not an A&P mechanic. I actually started highschool to become the equivalent an A&P but ended up switching to machinist a year later. (I still get dreams of how to properly use safety wire 😁)
So I got to work with a mechanic on the maintenance of several aircraft types (mainly C172, DR400, D112 Jodel) when I was 14. It was very interesting and I got to work on the 2000 hour maintenance mark for the D112.

Perhaps one day I will become an A&P but it won't be easy considering the french regulations and the access to the training.

Bob Cummings was the actor, accomplished pilot, and vegetarian. See "The Bob Cummings Show" for great vidio of the Beech 18 and Taylor Aerocar flying over 1950's Los Angeles. Joy Lansings not bad either.

mullacharjak

I dont think one has to be an Engineer/Mechanic or have any diploma/Degree to build/Work on an amateur built aircraft. I guess the tradition was set bythe wright brothers and no government agency dare touch it,

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Welcome to the forum.

With a few exceptions, most of us work in American English and those pesky Brit units of pounds, inches, etc. My apologies up front for that.

You have probably noticed we have everything from folks who like airplanes through dreamers, whatif types, and all the way to the extremely practical who actually build and fly their gadgets. Have fun with it all.

Billski

Wanttaja

Spinach was what an American actor called his Porterfield back in the 1930's / 40's.
That airplane was based at my home field years ago! A nice guy named John Innes owned it (probably several owners after Bob Cummings).
...and it's currently being restored in Auburn WA, just a few hangar rows from where I park my Fly Baby.
Spinach2.jpg
Ron Wanttaja

SuperSpinach

Bonjour,

A quick message to the french speaking people here :

Merci pour votre accueil, je ne m'attendais pas à parler français sur ce forum ! 😁 Actuellement, j'habite dans le sud-ouest de la France. Je vois que vous habitez dans le Wyoming. Etes-vous français ?

@wsimpso1 Don't worry I'm getting used to it. The biggest drawback for me isn't the units but more often it's the mathematical abbreviations (e.g. Lift coefficient : Cl in english and Cz in french) So i need to learn all the terms again since all good technical books are written in english.

@Wanttaja That aircraft is amazing ! I really like the paint job (but to be fair my opinion is a bit biased 😁)

Last edited:

mullacharjak

Dont know how true this is is but I read somewhere that in France an Experimental aircraft builder is asked to fly his aircraft for 5 hours first.If he can demonstrate this the permit to fly is issued without further ado.The rationale behind this line of thinking being that if the aircraft is not airworthy 5 hours would be enough to prove the point and the applicant wouldnt be coming to claim the permit anyway.

SuperSpinach

Dont know how true this is is but I read somewhere that in France an Experimental aircraft builder is asked to fly his aircraft for 5 hours first.If he can demonstrate this the permit to fly is issued without further ado.The rationale behind this line of thinking being that if the aircraft is not airworthy 5 hours would be enough to prove the point and the applicant wouldnt be coming to claim the permit anyway.
Hello,

I'm not a 100% knowledgeable about the process of registering and getting the aircraft approved but that seems very unlikely.

When we build an aircraft we have to certify that the processes used and the quality of the build meet the expectations through regular inspections.

I highly doubt that people would be allowed to fly an aircraft for 5 hours if it was not airworthy. With that said once the aircraft passes inspection we get an authorization to conduct test flights

addicted2climbing

Log Member
Hey Super Spinach,

I see your in the southwest of France and curious as to where? I have family (wife is from Paris) in the Gers and a few flying friends in Toulouse. If your anywhere near Toulouse, I can put you in touch with a friend with a J3 and an ASH25. He also fly's the Breguet XIV for demonstration at airshows and has flying privileges in some other interesting aircraft as well.

We visit every year and I try and get some flying in but last few times been over 40c so no way two people in the J3 would have worked. However, this year we canceled our trip due to Covid-19. We hope to visit in the Fall if all goes well.

Take care and Welcome,

Marc