Gee Bee

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by handprop, Jun 6, 2009.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jun 6, 2009 #1

handprop

handprop

handprop

Just got the newest issue of Sport Aviation today. Did anyone catch the story about the guy scratch building a Gee Bee? That's quite a project, and I thought I had my hands full, geez........

Homebuilding at its finest!:shock:

Mike

2. Jun 6, 2009 #2

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Already been done by several people. Try researching Bill Turner (Repeat Aviation, Flabob Airport) or Delmar Benjamin. Delmar used to (maybe still does) put on an impressive airshow routine with his Gee Bee R1 replica.

Bruce :)

3. Jun 7, 2009 #3

djschwartz

djschwartz

djschwartz

Delmar is no longer flying the Gee Bee. Here's a shot I took of its maiden flight at Creswell, OR

Attached Files:

4. Jun 7, 2009 #4

Mac790

Mac790

Mac790

Steve Wolf built also one replica for Delmar Benjamin.

But personally I would rather prefer Gee Bee R-3 model, there is only a RC model of this plane at the moment, but I've heard that Kevin Kimball with original designer Mirco Pecorari (I wrote original designer, because R-3 design idea was stolen by other guys) are going to make full scale 1:1 plane, sounds interesting for me.

Full story here GEE BEE R3 RACER??WOW!!!

Seb

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 7, 2009
  5. Jun 7, 2009 #5

handprop

handprop

handprop

People have built them but it's rare. I admire the fact that every once in a while someone decides to undertake a large project knowing it's not a practicle every day airplane. When you think about it, when deciding what to build and why, most of us have a list of requirements that have to me met and the list of airplanes starts to get smaller until we arrive with an airplane that sort of fits the bill. For me personally, the Fokker tri-plane has long been my impracticle project on the to do list. And really, the only reason for me to build a Tri-plane is pure passion for historical flight.

I sometimes wonder what goes through a builders mind when it comes to building something like a Gee Bee, Travel Air Mystery Ship, or a Laid Super Solution all of which are on my all time list of favorites. There's no doubt flying and building vintage airplanes has a romantic value to it so I guess it must have something to do with that way of thinking.

I also wonder what happens when the Gee Bee is done. How would you prepare for flight?

Can you imagine what is must feel like to prepare mentally for going out and flying the Gee Bee. I would just love to grab the throttle and pour on the coal and just hear that engine scream but something tells me after the landing I would need a 4 hour nap.

Well, anyway, the idea of building an airplane like that is just awesome. But to trade in what I have to build one.....I don't think I'm man enough.:shock:

By the way, the photos posted are really nice. Imagine coming in on final with a Gee Bee.....sun coming down over the mountains......WOW!......what that must be like!:gig:

Mike

6. Jun 8, 2009 #6

Dana

Dana

Dana

Super Moderator

There have been a few replicas flown, and a few unhappy endings as well. It was a very unforgiving airplane to fly, built for one purpose only. At one point, the widow of the original designer requested that nobody build any more replicas, as she was tired of hearing about people dying in them.

-Dana

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

7. Jun 8, 2009 #7

addaon

addaon

addaon

My "unpractical airplane" to build would definitely be a (full scale but lighter) reproduction of the Boeing Bird of Prey... wild looking stealth airplane, but single seat, sane size, quite stable, and with mechanical controls (no fly-by-wire).

8. Jun 9, 2009 #8

Midniteoyl

Midniteoyl

Midniteoyl

9. Jun 9, 2009 #9

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

I've always thought that the Bird of Prey was an interesting plane, but I'm not sure how suitable it is for a homebuilder's project. Maybe you should start with a homebuilt Tacit Blue first? :gig:

By the way, the Bird of Prey alweys reminded me of those little "skimmer bugs" (for lack of a proper name) that you always see swimming around in pools.

Bruce :)

Attached Files:

10. Jun 10, 2009 #10

Inverted Vantage

Inverted Vantage

Inverted Vantage

Formerly Unknown Target

Wow at the R3! Now THAT is an airplane!

If you search Gee Bee on Youtube, you can find some videos of the replicas flying, including one where it does a low alt inverted pass over the field, great stuff, and that rotary is certainly something to hear :)

Personally I'd like to have a replica of an X or a Y, if I had to choose from the Gee Bee line. With a large rudder it would probably fly fine, I think the only flaw in it's flying qualities was that it was a bit squirrely in the yaw.

11. Jun 13, 2009 #11

djschwartz

djschwartz

djschwartz

Here's one of yours truly getting a cockpit checkout in the Wolf/Benjamin Gee Bee the night before the first flight. This is as close as I ever will, or would ever want to, get to flying the monster.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 13, 2009