• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Gascolator

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
My plane, like most ultralights I've seen, currently has no gascolator or fuel sump, just an inline fuel filter. I have one of the glass tube filters, so I can at least see what's in it, but no place for water to settle and be drained off.

After a couple of friends were badly injured due to water in the fuel (engine quit on takeoff, no gascolator in the plane) I decided I needed one. What I really wanted was the same type I had in my Taylorcraft, which was a glass tube with a drain valve in the bottom, but all of the glass gascolators I see nowadays are round bowls with no drain, and cheap quality, suitable for lawnmowers, maybe, but not an airplane... and the aircraft gascolators are expensive, heavy, and you can't see what's inside.

Accordingly, I made my own out of polycarbonate, with nylon fittings. It doesn't have a filter, since I still have the inline filter, does have a drain, and it's small and light (the block is 3" x 1.75" x 1"). It will replace the "Y" in my system where lines from the two tanks come together, which is why there are two inlets. Right now it's on my workbench filled with gas, to make sure there are no chemical compatibility problems.

-Dana

If ignorance is bliss, why aren't there more happy people?

Attachments

• fuel strainer.jpg
    fuel strainer.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 1,489
Back