Folding Wings, Aircraft Trailers, and Portable Hangars for Inexpensive Storage

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Rienk

Well, you really ought to do your homework for that... most of the existing systems are described in this very thread, including explanations, pictures, videoclips etc.
Darn - you caught me in another act of laziness.
I know that several suggestions for certain mechanisms have been made here, but they are not really clear. I'm sure I can scrounge and troll on other threads for more, and for other alternatives. I thought it would be pretty obvious for others to infer that this thread might be a good depository for such information. If there already is such a place, I'd love someone to save me some time and tell me where.
Thanks!

Aircar

Banned
Rienk - first ,could you post some pix of the Russian "suitcase plane"? I have the Popular Mechanix photos but would like others to see how little can do the job .

Charles ligeti's one piece and sideways trailered design was covered by HITC -thanks --even so it was hit by passing cars eyeballing it.

Thanks for the RF5 links Auto - staggering that someone could try to fly with so much obvious incorect dihedral --a Corsair was flown with the tips folded up still during the Korean war -heat of battle or something . the Concept 70 glider was lost after the main pins came out in flight - not saftied by the owner .

We just had a big recall of VW Polos after several cases (one fatal) of sudden loss of power due to electronics --denied until impossible to ignore and severeley affecting sales now . I had throttle jammed open on an old type 3 VW --the cam shape behind the pedal can wear and go overcentre . It was very unsettling and luckily didn't happen in traffic --switching off the ignition was the only solution and was possible in the circumstances . I had a Yamaha XJ 650 for some years and it developed an intermittent fault such that it would emit a huge backfire and just go quiet (no power) then leave you coasting --usually dropping down a gear and re engaging the clutch would get it to fire up again but sometimes the same thing reoccurred dropping down to first then just stopping - a lot of swaearing and a wait of some minutes and it would go like nothing had happenned -- maddenning and dangerous but only rarely . An electrical technician could not find the fault and I ended up selling the bike for parts.

I fully agree about fail safe subsiduary systems and an overall tolerant design approach (starting with undersize wings and too sensitive controls not suited to amateur or ham fisted pilots ) -- but de riggability is of prime importance for practical personal aircraft and essential for gliders so the trick is to make the methods foolproof (and then give them to some real fools who will discover or invent ways to screw up you would never think possible..)

Rienk

Rienk - first ,could you post some pix of the Russian "suitcase plane"? I have the Popular Mechanix photos but would like others to see how little can do the job .
I'll try to dig some up this week. Most of my photos were corrupted by a server crash a few years ago (and our backup had degraded too - the perfect storm... almost buried one of our businesses as well).

If you don't hear from me soon, remind me via PM.

Head in the clouds

Rienk - first ,could you post some pix of the Russian "suitcase plane"? I have the Popular Mechanix photos but would like others to see how little can do the job .......
I was interested too, so spent some time googling this morning and found quite a few pix, some of the 14 and some of the 12. I was surprised to see how 'sophisticated' the wing was -

Victor D - Assembly of plane X-12h.jpgVictor Dmitriev XD-14 2.jpgVictor Dmitriev XD-14 3.jpgVictor Dmitriev XD-14 4.jpgVictor Dmitriev XD-14 5.jpgVictor Dmitriev XD-14 6.jpgVictor Dmitriev XD-14 7.jpgVictor Dmitriev XD-14 2.jpgVictor Dmitriev XD-14 9.jpgVictor Dmitriev XD-14 10.jpgVictor Dmitriev XD-14 11.jpgVictor Dmitriev XD-14 12.jpg

I had throttle jammed open on an old type 3 VW --the cam shape behind the pedal can wear and go overcentre . It was very unsettling and luckily didn't happen in traffic --switching off the ignition was the only solution and was possible in the circumstances
I had similar after restoring an old Benz that had sat for a long time. Coming up behind traffic that was stopped and I was having trouble changing down so double de-clutched, the throttle stuck at the max position I had used and I accelerated rapidly on high power and third gear. Took a few seconds to work out what to do, swerved up the inside of the stationary traffic still accelerating - on the pavement/sidewalk, then turned the engine off, had to turn left a bit to avoid a signpost and the steering locked ... demolished a couple of hedges and happily didn't hit any pedestrians. I disable steering locks as a matter of course now, whenever I get a new car.

Doggzilla

HBA Supporter
I was interested too, so spent some time googling this morning and found quite a few pix, some of the 14 and some of the 12. I was surprised to see how 'sophisticated' the wing was -

View attachment 25539View attachment 25542
This is actually pretty inspiring, but I cant help but wonder how much is lost because the wing is not continuous, aerodynamically. I wonder how much the low pressure on the wing is interrupted, and what kind of vortex are created between the wings. Perhaps the effect is minimal because the pilot ruining the airflow, no way it would be laminar at any point, but still makes me wonder...

Of course I realize its required for the folding, but there must be something to do about it.

Rienk

This is actually pretty inspiring, but I cant help but wonder how much is lost because the wing is not continuous, aerodynamically. I wonder how much the low pressure on the wing is interrupted, and what kind of vortex are created between the wings. Perhaps the effect is minimal because the pilot ruining the airflow, no way it would be laminar at any point, but still makes me wonder...

Of course I realize its required for the folding, but there must be something to do about it.
You raise valid points about the X-14, and there are numerous others.
I actually had the aircraft for about 30 years, and sent it back to Victor about a year ago.
I've been doodling with a fold-up concept for a while, but haven't moved forward on it yet (other projects are priority, and haven't figured out automatic connections). Mine would be much larger - the goal would be able to fit it in a pickup truck or large van (4' x 4' x 8' or smaller).

topspeed100

Banned
Victors ship is small all right, but like in any really small ac also X-14 need a lot of power to get airborne ( 40 hp ? ) thus the range must be minimal ? Same with Cri Cri and all Bumble Bees etc.

Rienk

You raise valid points about the X-14, and there are numerous others.
I actually had the aircraft for about 30 years, and sent it back to Victor about a year ago.
I've been doodling with a fold-up concept for a while, but haven't moved forward on it yet (other projects are priority, and haven't figured out automatic connections). Mine would be much larger - the goal would be able to fit it in a pickup truck or large van (4' x 4' x 8' or smaller).
I tracked down some other folks who had been talking about the X-14 on another thread.

RLaurin says he was building an improved version of one about a year ago, so I contacted him to see what was up. Here is his reply from this morning.

"Yes built one with alot of changes flys like its on rails. Patton pending. Will forward pics once Patton is final.
The x 14 was flown a couple of times. But was a scary ride."​

Does anyone know anything about this plane? Since he claims it has flown, I figured someone here might have heard something about it?
Surely a flying fold-up airplane would be big news at any airport.
I reminded him that once a patent claim is filed, showing pictures is no big deal - sure would like to find out if this is legitimate - or not.

I could find no patents (or pending) under his name in US or Canada, nor anything regarding such an aircraft design.
The only contact info I could find under his name under the town listed on his profile (says he designs ultralights, only has three posts) is for a Musician.

Not holding my breath...

Aircar

Banned
Topspeed- your design has WAY too much dihedral ;) but otherwise is in the same sort of ballpark as my old stiletto and Ligeti's Stratos and several other canard/tandem type minimum aircraft --there was one very nice one at a Paris airshow about twenty five years ago but didn't see it again --imposing a maximum wing loading of 4 lbs per sq ft in Australia curtailed the sort of faster design otherwise possible (and no credit for high lift flaps eg as for the X 14 suitacse plane or my slotted canard --Thanks for the pix HITC . BTW how goes the Ossie Mossie ? The Quickie is in the same family

topspeed100

Banned
Topspeed- your design has WAY too much dihedral ;) but otherwise is in the same sort of ballpark as my old stiletto and Ligeti's Stratos and several other canard/tandem type minimum aircraft --there was one very nice one at a Paris airshow about twenty five years ago but didn't see it again --imposing a maximum wing loading of 4 lbs per sq ft in Australia curtailed the sort of faster design otherwise possible (and no credit for high lift flaps eg as for the X 14 suitacse plane or my slotted canard --Thanks for the pix HITC . BTW how goes the Ossie Mossie ? The Quickie is in the same family
That is 3 meters long and wings in carrier mode it takes 3 x 1 x 1 m space.

litespeed

Yeah Alan- what progress on the mozzie? Long time and no updates.

When you said you disable the steering lock when you get a new car- I had visions of you doing a trade in stolen cars, they disable them down here in Sydney then use them for drive by shootings:gig:

We need a progress report mate.

Phil

bmcj

HBA Supporter
The Ligetti Stratos was almost short enough to trailer lengthwise so Charles built a tilt trailer that carried it at a legal height and width
One of the race teams at Reno used to carry their Cassutt fully assembled on a trailer. They mounted it sideways with the nose down and tail up in the air, the wings were fore and aft along the trailer. Mounted this way, it fit fully within the width and length of the trailer and was still short enough in height that they fit under any of the typical overpasses or overhangs.

topspeed100

Banned
How about this one;

index.jpg

I have a small "retro" single seater on the drawing board. When rudder detached it is smaller than Cri Cri in transport mode. Nearly 3 times the wing area with 149 cc engine.

Last edited:

Rienk

One of the race teams at Reno used to carry their Cassutt fully assembled on a trailer. They mounted it sideways with the nose down and tail up in the air, the wings were fore and aft along the trailer. Mounted this way, it fit fully within the width and length of the trailer and was still short enough in height that they fit under any of the typical overpasses or overhangs.

All when and good for small racers, but I'm interested in the design for a larger plane.
Other than what the gliders use (overlapping spars, auto aileron connects), are there any other worthy/viable options out there?

I am really interested in folding each wing in half. How to safely hinge it, and have "light" aileron control pass through is where I would like some more feedback.

(or has this thread petered out?)

bmcj

HBA Supporter
All when and good for small racers, but I'm interested in the design for a larger plane.
Other than what the gliders use (overlapping spars, auto aileron connects), are there any other worthy/viable options out there?

I am really interested in folding each wing in half. How to safely hinge it, and have "light" aileron control pass through is where I would like some more feedback.

I just realized that my memory failed me. Though the method I mentioned should work, the Cassutt I am thinking about was mounted on the trailer nose forward, wings in a steep bank (made it look like it was rounding a pylon).

Doggzilla

HBA Supporter

If it has twin spars, such as a P-38 or global voyager, the folding mechanism can be applied to a much larger aircraft. A design with spars that fold sideways can be constructed in a truly idiot proof way. If the folding is in the opposing axis to the control connections, the connections can be constructed as to allow authority regardless of the position. This is done by having overlapping plates which overlap at all angles, and which work perpendicular to the direction of overlap.

The limitation of this design, is that it can be no longer than 53 feet in most states, and so that dictates wingspan. The folded length needs to be 11 feet or under, which is still quite large. That allows a cabin as large as a semi with sleeper...

bmcj

HBA Supporter

I don't see where that would be terribly difficult to do. Have you considered hinging the tailcone behind the wing instead so that the plane could be stored/trailered sideways? You could hinge on the side or on the top.

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member

Take a look at the U-2 and the Dyke Delta fold. The U-2 could be modified so that the folding hinge point is completely separate from the attach pin. Add the captive auto-connect mechanism (they aren't all that heavy) along with sliding pin to join the 2 halves and your basically there.

But don't forget about folding the fuselage as well. There is nothing wrong with an asymmetrical fold line. The same captive auto-connect mechanisms for the ailerons can be used for the rudder and elevator as well. Here is a quick sketch to give a visual:

Attachments