Folding Wings, Aircraft Trailers, and Portable Hangars for Inexpensive Storage

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

J.L. Frusha

I tracked down some other folks who had been talking about the X-14 on another thread.

RLaurin says he was building an improved version of one about a year ago, so I contacted him to see what was up. Here is his reply from this morning.
"Yes built one with alot of changes flys like its on rails. Patton pending. Will forward pics once Patton is final.
The x 14 was flown a couple of times. But was a scary ride."​

Does anyone know anything about this plane? Since he claims it has flown, I figured someone here might have heard something about it?
Surely a flying fold-up airplane would be big news at any airport.
I reminded him that once a patent claim is filed, showing pictures is no big deal - sure would like to find out if this is legitimate - or not.

I could find no patents (or pending) under his name in US or Canada, nor anything regarding such an aircraft design.
The only contact info I could find under his name under the town listed on his profile (says he designs ultralights, only has three posts) is for a Musician.

Not holding my breath...
Not sure who this is, with the patent on the Dmitriev style mechanism, but it's up-to-date on the fees...
Patent EP1619119B1 - Wing assembly for an ultralight aircraft, and ultralight aircraft provided ... - Google Patents

J.L. Frusha

MAKS is the Moscow International Airshow.

Engine looks like a Wisconsin air-cooled tractor engine, but those weigh too much. Very similar to a Japanese air-cooled V-4 from around 1910, that was used in some aircraft.

J.L. Frusha

As for the Dmitriev, it looks loike they've done away with the folding wings, which would make it lighter and far less complicated. If it was me, in order to retain the Leading Edge slats, I'd look at using the automatic ones they add to Cessna's and such, for STOL. I believe they're spring-loaded, then close by aerodynamic drag, when no longer needed. Seen that on Alaskan airshow S.T.O.L. competition stuff.

J.L. Frusha

Idea on the engine... Could it be a converted 2-stage/4-cyl. air-compressor? Make it into a 4-cyl/2-stroke engine? Case looks like steel pipe, rather than cast iron, so, Asian knock-off...?

While that may sound a bit far-out, there are quite a few folks that make engines out of compressors, such as sterling and hit/miss engines, for fairs and shows, here in the US.

akwrencher

HBA Supporter
While that may sound a bit far-out, there are quite a few folks that make engines out of compressors, such as sterling and hit/miss engines, for fairs and shows, here in the US.
I wonder how well they cool under load though. Not many fins on most air compressors.

dino

HBA Supporter
The fabulous flea (pou de ciel) and its many variants.

flea cargo2.jpgflea float.jpgflea fold.jpgflea modern.jpg

Dino

henryk