Quantcast

Flying wing as cheap and simple option for basic fun flying.

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Aesquire

Last edited:

WINGITIS

Granger? Neat!
Inspired by... Westland-Hill Pterodactyl - Wikipedia
Inspired by... J. W. Dunne - Wikipedia

And the "modern" version of the Dunne designs... Easy Riser Glider | eaa292

Which became one of the more popular early ultralights. And a really nice flying machine, I will add. I've flown the Icarus II & Icarus V, but not much time in either. ( less than an hour, each )

And for the faster crowd...

The GRANGER Archaeopteryx was the one mentioned above my post.

Theres some good videos of the AW52 on Youtube as well.

Norman

HBA Supporter
THERE YOU GO - WAGGLE WING TIPS on the Granger!!!!

ENJOY THIS RARE VIDEO OF MORE OF THEM...

View attachment 100207View attachment 100208
Hinges to get a variable dihedral or AoA are a real challenge because it's impossible to bend a curved surface without opening up a gap. Also a single point hinge at the spar is susceptible to damage from handling and wind loads. The fold mechanism on the Mitchell U-2 uses 2 hinges, one at the spar that carries the bending loads and one near the trailing edge to constrain the forward hing against twisting and bending the wrong way. The aft hinge has to be on a little pillar so that the two hinge pins can be on the same axis. It's ugly and draggy. The solution to the drag issue is to put a faring around the whole assembly but it's still ugly.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
We had a relevant thread a few years ago on the the swept-wing tailless with fuselage approach à la Clutton Tadpole. Low- or mid- wing could work well with a monowheel main gear with a tailweel or nosewheel and outriggers. I also think it would work well as an interesting parasol wing design like the Granger but with side-by-side seating for two, a fully-enclosed cockpit, and possibly tricycle gear. The wingtip elevons are interesting but probably not worth the complication compared to conventionally-hinged control surfaces.

Last edited:

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
The aft hinge has to be on a little pillar so that the two hinge pins can be on the same axis.
And still not fool proof to prevent bending of the hinges during folding in a wind.

Another option is to use this kind of hinge - which allows the axis to be canted and maybe keep both hinges hidden in the structure.
hinge 180.jpg
Complex and a contorted load path, but still an option.

Hephaestus

25 Minutes of test development video of the ROHR DELTA FANJET...

My favorite :)

I still want some people around here to renew this one. Just ditch the duct take everything else that works in true Mooney fashion.

WINGITIS

My favorite :)

I still want some people around here to renew this one. Just ditch the duct take everything else that works in true Mooney fashion.
One of its key features, amongst the many, was that the wings folded up to keep the stored width at 20 Feet.

Not sure about the lower front rudder with the steering wheel in it.......wasnt that last used on Pterosaur's...like a fairly long time ago....

What about changing it to a CUSTER CHANNEL WING configuration with a normal prop...

WINGITIS

Granger? Neat!
Inspired by... Westland-Hill Pterodactyl - Wikipedia
Inspired by... J. W. Dunne - Wikipedia

And the "modern" version of the Dunne designs... Easy Riser Glider | eaa292

Which became one of the more popular early ultralights. And a really nice flying machine, I will add. I've flown the Icarus II & Icarus V, but not much time in either. ( less than an hour, each )

And for the faster crowd...

Cannot find the Co-ordinates of the airfoils it used!

But here is a nice pic.

ae-52a.jpg

Riggerrob

The biggest advantage of a tapered flying-wing (Arup or delta) is the longer tail moment arm. The longer TMA improves stability and control on both pitch and yaw axis. The long center section is also a convenient place to conceal the pilot(s) legs and torso.