Quantcast

Flying wing as cheap and simple option for basic fun flying.

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Aesquire

Clutton Tadpole. An unfinished Kitfox fuselage, and definitely folding wings, with struts?

erkki67

Or with the modified Pelican of Debreyer with 3, 2000mm wide panels, the outer with Elevons And the Kasparspoilers equiped|, the center Section with the engine pylon (fuselage), Pilot sitting in the wing with his feet outside the engine pylon, and a headrest that acts as an rollcage and aft turtledeck.

Mike W

Another solution might be split Elevon, but this would make the mechanics and kinematics for a Homebuilder awkward .
We are about to re commence test flying, so will soon see if the modified rudders work better, otherwise fitting Casper rudders may be the easiest solution.

I think the jet powered Japanese flying wing with the pilot lying on top has split elevons. as you say the mechanism to operate it could be a challenge.

Aesquire

Please tell us more!
Nothing to tell, unless someone with more ambition than me builds it.

It's from a spin off of this thread, and I thought the Tadpole offers some slick compromises.

I'm generally more comfortable with a swept flying wing than a plank, just from experience with hang gliding & early ultralights. Hang gliders tend to be tailless since a tail can be a real problem with foot launch and landing, which is usually, hopefully, :) a full stall to near zero forward and vertical velocity. That's not a problem that most planes operating on wheels from a runway have.

The long fuselage of the model plane offers good yaw stability, regular rudder control, and the high wing lets you put pilot & passenger side by side near the CG, like many ( Kitfox, Taylor ) light planes. And if you have a strutted high wing, you can pivot the wing root off the top of the fuselage structure, ( Kitfox ) for easy folding, and eliminate the heavy spar overhead. ( head knocker or overly tall fuselage issues with continuous cantilever high wings )

It's not a "pure" flying wing, and the leading edge would be forward of the windshield on a Kitfox frame, so there are lots of details to work out & modify, but the darn thing is so cute. A "V" shaped windshield that follows the leading edge of the wing?

naturally the First question most would ask is, "If you already have a tail, why not just put a horizontal stabilizer on, and simplify elevon mixing, and then the swept wing doesn't offer any advantage on the tailed airplane, so why not straight wings for better efficiency?" and you're back to... a Kitfox. :)