Quantcast

Fighter Stick grip

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

plane1

Does anyone know where I can purchase a fighter stick grip? I looked at Spruce Aircraft and did not find one that looks like the modern fighters. Thank you

PTAirco

$500 for a stick grip with some switches?? Am I the only one who thinks this is ridiculous? Go buy a good quality computer game joystick and adapt that - they have a pretty long life under ardous conditons (i.e. kids whacking the hell out of them) . Even if you installed higher quality switches, the cost would be far more reasonable. Easy to reinforce, if you feel it necessary and some epoxy potting compound over the circuitry should make them pretty reliable.

Waiter

I thought about the Videogame option, but decided to opt for the Infinity stick.

I found the stick to be worth the money.

Good quality workmanship and parts. The stick comes prewired with the length of cable you specify.

Here are some of the switch assignments I've used

The switches (switch type) are customized per your requirements. i.e. The switch I use for my speed brake is three position, Momentary Contact - OFF - ON

The Momentary contact is used to extend the speed brake, the ON position is used to retract the speed brake.

I also utilize the Coolie Hat for my trim, Left, right, Nose up, nose down.

Trigger switch Radio Transmit. (momentary contact)

Alarm Mute (momentary contact)

Autopilot Disconnect (momentary contact)

Radio Channel Change (momentary contact)

Check out the installation:

I FLY EZ

Scroll down the page to the 23 July entry

Waiter

etterre

$500 for a stick grip with some switches?? Am I the only one who thinks this is ridiculous?
Nope, you're not the only one...
I've got an old Thrustmaster F-16 FLCS wrapped up in the basement, much like this one:
ThrustMaster F-16 FLCS PC Flight Stick Joystick Hotas - eBay (item 310195606117 end time Mar-20-10 11:41:22 PDT)

You can probably get a better deal than $40 on one since that version can't even be programmed in WinXP or later.
I figure worst case is that I'll use it to create a mold and build a fiberglass copy, but that's likely to be overkill.

The # of hats and switches is :ban:definitely:ban: overkill at 4 hats and 4 momentary switches.

wally

Why not make one? I made one for my plane. It doesn't have all the the switches as the Infinity but I did make it to suit my switch needs. You can make it any shape you want. The following is a general outline of what I did. There are some details that need to be looked up on the interwebs if you have never done stuff like this. It really isn't hard to do and kinda fun.

I formed the solid shape I wanted out of modeling clay. Then I took some hobby plaster and made a mold by molding half, then molding the other half on top of it. When I took it apart, I laid up cloth and resin in each half including a sleeve in one side for the stick to slip into. The sleeve was later drilled and tapped for 2 setscrews.

Then I smoothed and scarfed the edges of each half and glassed them together. You could also keep it in two halfs held together with screws if you want. All it took was a little bondo and sanding to smooth up the outside and it was done. I painted it, added my switches and done! A fun and good experience with a little personal touch to my cockpit. A total of a few bucks of materials. I had most of the materials and switches in the garage.
Wally

DarylP

Wally's onto something. Why not use a nice gun (pistol) grip, and modify it (spacer) to fit the tube. That way you could get a nice checkered affair and simply drill holes for the switches.

Plane 1....what are you going to have it control?

scuba72

I remember an old Kitplanes magazine that had an article on how to make a custom fit grip. You took a paper towel or toilet paper tube and filled it with melted wax. when the wax was set, you peeled away the paper tube and warmed the wax under hot water and gripped it with your hand and molded it till you had it the shape you wanted. Then you mixed plaster of paris in a a large tin can and put the wax mold inside. Once dry, you turned it upside down and placed it in the oven to melt the wax out. Then took a tube with the ID of your stick in the mold and filled it with epoxy resin. Once dried, you just broke away the plaster and you had a custom grip. I guess you could cut the plaster in halve and carve out places for switches. And you can add wax wherever you needed it.

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
Then you mixed plaster of paris in a a large tin can and put the wax mold inside. Once dry, you turned it upside down and placed it in the oven to melt the wax out.
It's more work but by making a multi-piece plaster female mold you can fill the cavity with a dry micro mix with just enough 1/4" long glass fibers to hold it together. It's a LOT lighter (as little as 6 lbs/ft3) then pure resin and sands easier for final finishing. You can also use faster curing resin/hardener and still avoid exothermic problems.

WEP is another option for light weight grip material.

rheuschele

$500 for a stick grip with some switches?? Am I the only one who thinks this is ridiculous? Go buy a good quality computer game joystick and adapt that
I have to agree, before I spend that much for a grip, I'll be down at the salvation army and spend $3 to see if I can adapt a computer grip to my needs. For all I know, they are made in the same factory.
Ron

TMann

I'll be down at the salvation army and spend $3 to see if I can adapt a computer grip to my needs.
I'm going with the Infinity grips as well. I saw them at Oshkosh and the quality is there. I've seen other grips with cheap switches and there is a big difference plus they are all custom made to your application.

A quality hat switch will cost you $80+.

I guess that if you're building a real airplane, you'll want a real grip.
If you're building a toy airplane ......... well, enough said. :)

rheuschele

A quality hat switch will cost you $80+.

I guess that if you're building a real airplane, you'll want a real grip.
If you're building a toy airplane ......... well, enough said. :)
I'll even agree with that, but the op was looking at $500 each, That's not a quality grip, that's a gun to the head.

TMann

I'll even agree with that, but the op was looking at $500 each, That's not a quality grip, that's a gun to the head.
I don't know where you are getting a price of $500 each.
Here's what I find on his site:
Products (click on highlighted words for pictures) Prices each (subject to change without notice)Stick grip -- Right-Hand (YES, they come pre-wired!) $175.00

jrsteensen

They use a lot of otto HOTAS and switches in US MIL aircraft...so they have to price what they charge the government. I got 20 otto hatswitches recently (I was coordinating a group buy) and it cost 110 dollars per switch, with a QTY discount. They are pricy, but the quality is good enough for the military.