Fastest planes on the least amount of HP

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
It could be a fun little plane, but for a 2 place, the published 436 lb useful load will hurt it in the marketplace. Two people with clothes, headsets, maybe a toothbrush for an overnight trip, and there's not much weight left for fuel to feed that 100 HP Rotax.
The present MTOW is given as 1058 lb, so plenty of room below the present LSA max weight. If they can find a safe way to carry 50-75 lbs more, it could be a more practical (and popular) plane.

Next, find a way to power it with something less dear than a Rotax 912ULS and sell a lot more of them. The RV-12 (912ULS stock powerplant) has been successfully powered by a Suzuki (Aeromomentum) AM15, so there's that.
I like what Bob Barrows did on designing the Bearhawk LSA. Build it LSA or make the GW at 1500 lbs per his max designed GW.

On the JMR, I designed it for ultimate of 10.1 g's , for a rating of 6,3 g's at a GW of 1100 lbs. So there is room for a little increase in GW. Don't know where you would put the increase is weight. As designed , you can have full fuel and pilot of 300 lbs and no baggage , or baggage weight that reduces the pilot weight the same amount with a max baggage weight of 50bs. All well within the CG envelope.

Hephaestus

It could be a fun little plane, but for a 2 place, the published 436 lb useful load will hurt it in the marketplace. Two people with clothes, headsets, maybe a toothbrush for an overnight trip, and there's not much weight left for fuel to feed that 100 HP Rotax.
The present MTOW is given as 1058 lb, so plenty of room below the present LSA max weight. If they can find a safe way to carry 50-75 lbs more, it could be a more practical (and popular) plane.

Next, find a way to power it with something less dear than a Rotax 912ULS and sell a lot more of them. The RV-12 (912ULS stock powerplant) has been successfully powered by a Suzuki (Aeromomentum) AM15, so there's that.
As a sasquatch pilot's fast single... ;) I can work with it as - is. But the 912 isn't on my preferred choice list, but we know there's a group of options that also fit for size/weight.

TL Stream also appears to be a derivative of the Asso X. Now if only the Prime or Stream were a reasonable price - both are in that 200k Euro+ range. Apparently the blackshape has a taller fuse for taller pilots?

Hopefully Fisher considers a similar tweak since north americans tend to be a touch taller.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
In the North American market, I would say that 450 lb is about the right number for a two-seater in terms of acceptable minimum *payload* with full fuel and 500 is better for a cross-country tourer. 400 lb is probably acceptable for a fun machine without serious cross-country travel in mind, but even then 450 would be better. Per the CDC using 2015-2018 numbers, the average American man weighs about 200 lb (91 kg) and stands 5' 9" (175 cm) tall and the average American woman is 171 lb (78 kg) and 5' 3-1/2" (161 cm) tall. Obviously, you need to go higher if you want to include at least 90% of the population. I tend to use 200 kg (440 lb) for people and 50 kg (110 lb) for baggage in my calculations knowing that airplanes, like people, tend to gain weight with time so it's better to start out with a little cushion in the numbers.

edwisch

A good candidate for speed/power is the pre-war German Möller Stomo. 94 MPH on 18 HP. The early Mooney Mites had, IIRC, 26 HP.

llemon

As a sasquatch pilot's fast single... ;) I can work with it as - is. But the 912 isn't on my preferred choice list, but we know there's a group of options that also fit for size/weight.

TL Stream also appears to be a derivative of the Asso X. Now if only the Prime or Stream were a reasonable price - both are in that 200k Euro+ range. Apparently the blackshape has a taller fuse for taller pilots?

Hopefully Fisher considers a similar tweak since north americans tend to be a touch taller.
There are at least 2 Asso clones in production; Blackshape and Terragon. The TL looks like its a third.

The UL Shark is quite similar but a unique design, and maybe worth looking at for someone who doesn't want a Asso type.