Fastest planes on the least amount of HP

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

FrankenWompus

I know what you might be thinking, "This guy is asking about efficiency", and I suppose I am, but I'm not curious about MPG. MPG conversations always end up with Gliders or PPG's, and that's not what I'm after.

I'm more curious if anyone knows the fastest aircraft that have <80hp, <100hp, <150hp? The Reno Air Races seem like a good starting point, but then I hear about things like the Tailwind, TL Stream, Facet Opal... heck, even the Varieze seems like it belongs in this class of aircraft. Efficiency and speed.

Mile-per-hour, per-horsepower?

Last edited:

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
I can vouch for the Cassutt-Baker-Grove IIM N2081's ability to make about 235MPH in level flight, on a 200 inch displacement engine making about 115HP at 4300 RPM, with a small amount of help from ground effect, and some favorable density altitude conditions at Stead airport on a warm September day.

Jon's Nemesis 1 broke 300 in level flight on some sort of record attempt, with the same 200 cu.in. displacement engine, but truth be told the mags that Don Sanford built him were a little more healthy than stock so it may have been a few more ponies than 115. Even more importantly, the airframe that Ericson designed for him was pretty f****n slick :)

Last edited:

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Rutan Quickie...126 mph on 18 hp!

1622684848005.png

Rutan Quickie
Data from Flight International The Canard Pusher No. 16

General characteristics
  • Crew: one pilot
  • Capacity: 20 lb (9.1 kg) luggage and 240 lb (108 kg) useful load
  • Length: 17 ft 4 in (5.28 m)
  • Wingspan: 16 ft 8 in (5.08 m)
  • Height: 4 ft 5 in (1.35 m)
  • Wing area: 53.8 sq ft (5.00 m2)
  • Empty weight: 245 lb (111 kg)
  • Max takeoff weight: 485 lb (220 kg)
  • Powerplant: 1 × Onan opposed four-stroke piston engine, 18 hp (13 kW) at 3,600 rpm
Performance
  • Maximum speed: 126 mph (203 km/h, 109 kn)
  • Cruise speed: 115 mph (185 km/h, 100 kn)
  • Stall speed: 47 mph (76 km/h, 41 kn)
  • Range: 570 mi (920 km, 500 nmi)
  • Rate of climb: 420 ft/min (2.1 m/s)
Source: Rutan Quickie - Wikipedia

atypicalguy

HBA Supporter
I know what might be thinking, "This guy is asking about efficiency", and I suppose I am, but I'm not curious about MPG. MPG conversations always end up with Gliders or PPG's, and that's not what I'm after.

I'm more curious if anyone knows the fastest aircraft that have <80hp, <100hp, <150hp? The Reno Air Races seem like a good starting point, but then I hear about things like the Tailwind, TL Stream, Facet Opal... heck, even the Varieze seems like it belongs in this class of aircraft. Efficiency and speed.

Mile-per-hour, per-horsepower?
Anequim went 323mph with a 220hp 0-360. Should be in the fai data above.

Last edited:

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Nice RV-3, great to see a fast one with a modest engine. When I was looking into the Thorp T-18, I found that there was a small community of "lean and mean" builders stripping out all the weight they could to get good performance and range on modest engines.

speedracer

My 360 powered Long EZ burns 5.4 GPH @ 200 MPH (economy cruise) so.... 37 MPG. Now, that's at between 16-18 K feet leaned to 40 degrees LOP. Also, that's with dual Light Speed Engineering electronic ignitions (worth about 15% less fuel burn than mags), 10-1 compression, porting, etc. and an Ellison throttle body. And a very slicked up airframe. In my racing days I found out in testing that waxing the entire airframe was worth 5 MPH (that's a lot) for top speed. I think the Cafe Foundation got the exact same results with a Mooney. The details (as I remember) was that they washed the plane then did a top speed test and landed. A dozen or so guys waxed the plane in 15 minutes then did the retest. BTW, those Formula One 200 CI Reno racers kick out around 150 HP at 4,500 - 5,000 RPM and only last for about 10 minutes.