• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Dang! Won't start below 50F

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xlamin8r

This was a problem I had with my converted Corvair engine with MA3-SPA carburetor. Many squirts of accelerator pump just shot up, hit the intake manifold's T, and fell back down into the airbox then down to the tarmac, creating a fire hazard. Engine would have none of it! Volatility of avgas is really low when it's cold! I am now in the process of creating a primer system. Using an Edelbrock electrical fuel pump, I am going to Tee off of the fuel line, go thru the pump, then up through some urethane fuel line to a bit of 1/4" copper tubing closed off at one end, but with a #60 drilled hole (0.040" dia) pointing along the horizontal axis of the intake manifold on the starboard side just above the engine. The copper tubing is held in place and sealed with JB weld (great stuff!). The pump does not pass any flow when not energized. I will have a button on the dash to actuate the pump. The pump, with no flow, can muster about 1/2 an atmosphere, so it squirts strongly thru the little hole. I'm sure someone has done something similar. Flowrate is around 0.15 floz/sec. Does anybody have experience with this type of system, and know of any potential problems?
Will the starboard side of the engine run slightly richer as the fuel line slowly empties with the captured fuel flashing into vapor inside the hot engine compartment? Will have to check my spark plugs from time to time, I guess.
Art

Back