CGS, Hawk Aviation is closed & put up for sale.

Discussion in 'The light stuff area' started by danmoser, Nov 8, 2014.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jun 5, 2015 #41

Chuck Slusarczyk

Chuck Slusarczyk

Chuck Slusarczyk

Good Morning All. El Pollo Loco here. Testing my account to see if I can post now. I'm alive and well. Chuck Yeah it worked.

wsimpso1, Dana, Victor Bravo and 4 others like this.
  2. Jun 5, 2015 #42

Wanttaja

Wanttaja

Wanttaja

Hi, Chuck! Dan Tracy says hi.....

Ron Wanttaja

3. Jun 5, 2015 #43

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Hi from Bill Berle in Los Angeles, so glad you're on this forum! I'll have a shot of Muzzle Loader with some castor oil rubber lube and balsa dust on the rim of the glass please!

(Smile son, never disconcert the masses)

4. Jun 5, 2015 #44

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

This is a good day. :grin:

Great to have you with us here on HBA, Chuck. I've admired your work for decades. Thanks for confirming your "un-demise", and looking forward to seeing you here!

5. Jun 5, 2015 #45

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Welcome to HBA Chuck. Good to have you here and I hope we hear from you often.

Despite te already being a glider and power pilot, I also flew hang gliders and ultralights during the early years. I knew a lot of the early pioneers, but I'm sorry that I never (to the best of my knowledge) crossed paths with you. This is probably due to the fact that most of my flying was done on the west coast.

I did have the opportunity to (briefly) fly a CGS Hawk and it flew well, but I must admit that it was not my favorite. That is not because of the way it flew, but rather because I was never fond of the idea of enclosing the cockpit with sailcloth and soft plastic windows. I felt the same about others that sported soft enclosures (like the Teratorn Tierra). I felt that it was unnecessary weight and it took away from the open air appeal of ultralights. I'm sure that I would have put the Hawk near the top of my list if the cockpit cover were left off.

Again Chuck, nice to have you here! BTW... I hope that I can survive death as successfully and gracefully as you have.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
  6. Jun 5, 2015 #46

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Wasn't the sailcloth and windows an option that couldbe removed? Winter in Ohio may be slightly different than it is here in CA :)

7. Jun 5, 2015 #47

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

It probably was, but the one I got to fly had it on.

8. Jun 5, 2015 #48

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

"Winter". You keep using this strange word... :gig:

rv6ejguy and bmcj like this.
  9. Jun 5, 2015 #49

Pops

Pops

Pops

Chuck lives in N.E. Ohio, in the snow belt from Lake Erie. He knows what snow is all about. I lived on the Ohio/Pa border east of Chuck from 15 years old until 30 years old.

Dan

10. Jun 5, 2015 #50

Wanttaja

Wanttaja

Wanttaja

For you guys in California, it's similar to "moist." But you ain't familiar with that one, either.....:)

Ron Wanttaja

11. Jun 5, 2015 #51

danmoser

danmoser

danmoser

From Chuck's Facebook page yesterday:

"Hi All: Letting everyone know I'm alive and well. There is a forum on homebuiltairplanes.com that has a rumor going around that I passed away. I'm alive and kickin'. I don't have an active account for that site so am unable to post anything in that discussion at the moment, but see that some members are looking at my Facebook Page, so guys, know I'm alive and fine."

https://www.facebook.com/chuck.slusarczyk.1

I started this thread, so I felt somewhat responsible for how it developed..

I only reported that CGS/Hawk Aviation was put up for sale, not that Chuck had 'ceased to be.'
    .. not sure who started that rumor.
    Borrowing from a Monty Python skit: He is most definitely NOT an ex-parrot !!!

Derswede likes this.
  12. Jun 5, 2015 #52

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

This was clearly an extremely clever and highly successful plot on our part to get Chuck to join HBA and come talk with us. I applaud the crafty son-of-a-b... er, "miscreant" among us who hatched this scheme. :gig:

akwrencher, danmoser and bmcj like this.
  13. Jun 6, 2015 #53

Pops

Pops

Pops

Chuck, did you know the late Ernie Carlson of Carlson Aircraft at East Palestine, Oh. We started flying model airplanes together when we were 15 years old.

Dan

14. Jun 6, 2015 #54

jedi

jedi

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
    Chuck,

Put me down for a 55 gallon drum.

15. Jun 6, 2015 #55

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Boy I'd love to have been clever enough to scheme that one out !

16. Jun 6, 2015 #56

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Dan how is the MOSI coming?

17. Jun 6, 2015 #57

danmoser

danmoser

danmoser

Slowly.. that dang 'earning a living' thing keeps getting in the way of living.
    Y-tail feathers & wingtips done.. landing gear work underway .. next: electric powerplant.

18. Jun 14, 2019 #58

Derswede

Derswede

Derswede

Chuck, just snagged one of your old birds. Just found a Hawk, owner has not flown it in years, now it has a new home (mine). May want to pick your brain a bit esp. on things to watch for. Will do a complete tear-down and replace cables, etc, check rivets and replace lots of hardware. Apparently there is a mod for the upper spar connector which is curved to give a bit more headroom. As I am 6'2", it may be necessary for me, esp as I tend to wear a helmet. Any info would be appreciated, this model is a nose dragger but may eventually convert it to a tail dragger. Interesting engine choice, a Rotax 467 watercooled is installed. As a strict diet is being imposed on the airframe, I may eventually look at a lighter engine. I seriously doubt that the plane is even close to the legal weight. Front is covered in sheet aluminum instead of fabric.

At least the airframe is decent looking, wings are newer as the original set was lost in a hanger fire. I will have to order new envelopes as the current fabric is marginal at best. Will include some photos as I get her apart and start the rebuild.

Guess Choppergirl and I are going to have a race...who can get their plane flying first??

Derswede

Turbine Aeronautics likes this.
  19. Jun 15, 2019 #59

pwood66889

pwood66889

pwood66889

"Guess Choppergirl and I are going to have a race...who can get their plane flying first??"
    Hope you both win!

Pops likes this.
  20. Jun 15, 2019 #60

Derswede

Derswede

Derswede

Well, it gives me a place to start. Been looking at lots of planes, this one came along and I decided to get off my posterior and get something that I can at least get airborne. The majority of the other birds needed major rework or complete rebuilds. Also, I don't have to worry about ADS-B at least for the moment. So, budget friendly and I can keep it in my company warehouse for awhile and work on it there. Anyone interested in a nice Triumph Sprint? It will have to go, not enough space and $$ to do both. First order of business is to get new cover on the wings/tail surfaces. Anyone have recommendations for suppliers? Engine tear-down and new seals also on top of the list. Came with two props, one std two blade and a 4 blade as well. Belt drive PRSU. No chute, may consider that as well as an addition. New 4 pt harness will be installed....don't trust old seatbelts. It also came with fibreglass gear legs. Std gear was updated a few years back, don't know if the fibreglass legs are better or ?

Derswede