CGS, Hawk Aviation is closed & put up for sale.

Discussion in 'The light stuff area' started by danmoser, Nov 8, 2014.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Nov 8, 2014 #1

danmoser

danmoser

danmoser

I just found out about this today.. very interesting development.

Chuck's Glider Supplies, and the companies that grew from it, have done so much for the free flight / ultralight movement.
    I hope someone is able to pick up the banner & carry on with it.

The Home of the Hawk!

EFFECTIVE OCTOBER 1 2014:
    DUE TO MEDICAL ISSUES HAWK AIRCRAFT WILL SUSPEND OPERATIONS INDEFINITELY AND THE COMPANY IS OFFICIALLY UP FOR SALE. SERIOUSLY INTERESTED PARTIES SHOULD
    CONTACT THE OWNER VIA MAIL ADDRESSED TO:
    CGS AVIATION
    SALE 0F ASSETS
    8970 HUNTER RD
    GRAND BAY AL 36541-5210

2. Jun 3, 2015 #2

azsportpilot

azsportpilot

azsportpilot

3. Jun 3, 2015 #3

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

A tip of the hat and a mighty big THANK YOU to Chuck Slusarczyk for being one of the truly important pioneers of the light aircraft movement. Chuck's efforts resulted in an aircraft that brought high levels of safety and responsible/professional engineering to a segment of aviation that needed it most. I am honored to have met Chuck once or twice.

Like all great aircraft designers throughout history, a devoted classic free flight model aircraft builder ;)

I am thrilled that someone will carry on with this classic and still-relevant design.

Rodgersmk and BJC like this.
  4. Jun 3, 2015 #4

BJC

BJC

BJC

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Chuch is in my "Top Ten Designers" of E-AB and ultralight airplanes.

BJC

5. Jun 3, 2015 #5

TarDevil

TarDevil

TarDevil

I enjoyed flying the Hawk. Glad to see it continue.

Rodgersmk likes this.
  6. Jun 3, 2015 #6

azsportpilot

azsportpilot

azsportpilot

Chuck was brilliant and a nice guy.
    They used to throw a big party in the UL Headquarters tent at Sun-N-Fun every year at the end of the week
    Chuck was a big part of that providing libations and live music
    He is sorely missed by the SnF regulars; the UL party just hasn’t been the same since his passing

7. Jun 3, 2015 #7

Aesquire

Aesquire

Aesquire

The Hawk is on my short list for next flying machine. It has aged better than I have.

Rodgersmk likes this.
  8. Jun 3, 2015 #8

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

I didn't know Chuck had passed. What a loss for the aviation community.

As regards to Chuck and the party scene at Sun n Fun, I never got to be there, but there's a great old story from a previous century. It's a tragi-comedic tale about a guy who saw himself as the Citizen Kane of aviation publishing... and him branding Chuck as a "chicken thief" after he snuck in to Citizen Kane's party at SnF and ate a piece of unapproved and unauthorized chicken. Along with a couple of others, I pleaded with Chuck to introduce a limited edition version of the CGS Hawk as the "Chicken Hawk", with a logo of a hawk holding a fried chicken drumstick in its claw.

This all played out on an early internet discussion group, becoming one of the greatest soap operas in modern aviation history. One or two of us (maybe more than that?) who were there for that spectacle are here on HBA.

Godspeed and Blue Skies Chuck, you left a legacy of class and quality. Those of us old RAH'ers left behind will have to govern ourselves accordingly :)

9. Jun 3, 2015 #9

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

That is one of the reasons I like HBA so well. It's Zooooooom free! :gig:

BJC likes this.
  10. Jun 3, 2015 #10

fly2kads

fly2kads

fly2kads

It's also free of much of the bickering and arguing of RAH. (Related?) Many thanks to Jake for setting up these friendly confines, and to the Mods for keeping it so. May it never degenerate into such a mess....

11. Jun 3, 2015 #11

Wanttaja

Wanttaja

Wanttaja

I'm not sure he has... doesn't seem to be anything about it anywhere else. He did have to sell CGS a few years back, after his stroke. I've had some emails from him since then, but not in a while.

Chuck proudly used the nickname, "El Pollo Loco" (the crazy chicken) after that.

He, like I, is a real fan of the songs of the flyers of WWII. At a party once, we exchanged new lyrics for the song, "Give me Operations"... he had one for the Fly Baby, I had one for the CGS Hawk. Wish I remember his for the Fly Baby...but here's the one I wrote for him:

Don't give me a CGS Hawk,
    It's got a Rotax, and I'd rather walk
    It's ugly and slow
    Like El Pollo Loco
    Don't give me a CGS Hawk!

Ron Wanttaja

12. Jun 3, 2015 #12

Wanttaja

Wanttaja

Wanttaja

No it isn't. :)

Ron "I could be arguing in my spare time" Wanttaja

bmcj and fly2kads like this.
  13. Jun 3, 2015 #13

azsportpilot

azsportpilot

azsportpilot

I remember a few funny lyrics about "Zooooom" the citizen kane that SnF Banned for Life. LOL....... and ofcourse the "MuzzleLoader" punch

14. Jun 4, 2015 #14

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

Super Moderator Staff Member

I was there. In fact, it was the anger and venom growing and spreading across that board that finally drove me out of there, looking for someplace where there was actually a little civility and people wanted to talk about airplanes. And I found HBA. There will always be debates when airplanes and flying are involved. But RAH got to be poisonous. Completely toxic. It won't ever get to that level here, I can promise you that. Jake wouldn't allow it, and neither will the moderators.

I never had the pleasure of meeting Chuck. What I knew of him seemed to be everything people here have said: A great guy that genuinely loved flying, ultralights, and was perfectly willing to help the community or any individual further their interests in aviation. I'm very sorry to hear that he's gone.

15. Jun 4, 2015 #15

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Nothing would please me more than the post about his passing being incorrect. Chuck if you're out there, please get on this forum and call me a flaming a** h*** for delivering a premature eulogy! :)

Although some portion of those rather pointed lyrics and writings on RAH came from me, I agree wholeheartedly that none of the vitriol and un-gentlemanly-ness from that era should be allowed to develop here. On balance, a lot of those things came about because the homebuilt community was standing behind Chuck and others who had been experiencng what today is called "cyber-bullying". In Chuck's case, he had also been the victim of a very unfair and damaging TV news report, and the RAH community was standing with him in a very serious time of need.

16. Jun 4, 2015 #16

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

Super Moderator Staff Member

I agree it started that way. And "he who shall remain nameless" really did seem to feel he was the self-imposed Emperor of Homebuilding, at least at the time. Maybe he's mellowed since. I hope so.

But once the flame-wars got started and the cliques and factions drew their trench lines, the place stopped being about homebuilding and became a gigantic battlefield. I remember virtually every thread that got started legitimately about airplanes eventually (and often sooner, rather than later) deteriorated into pages of outright personal attacks as the factions couldn't resist sniping at each other. That's my memory of the place, anyway, at the time I left. Lord, what a mess.

You know, the mods here at HBA keep getting all the credit for keeping this place civil and constructive and, yes, we do very occasionally have to step in. But really, you guys make our jobs pretty easy. The membership here, with rare exception, are the ones who do all the work at keeping this place working so well. I deal with twenty times more spam reports and cleaning up double-posts than I do with any kind of "member problems." I know it's the same for the other mods.

Thanks, guys and gals. Seriously, you folks make this a great place to be.

bmcj likes this.
  17. Jun 4, 2015 #17

Wanttaja

Wanttaja

Wanttaja

18. Jun 4, 2015 #18

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

O...M...F...G... some things apprently do not change or mellow with age.

Ron, I'll pre-buy the first three copies, from the first hardcover printing, if you break down and write a certain book that is just begging to be written. As long as you do the front page dedication to Chuck and Tony. I can hear Bill Phillips roaring with laughter from the clouds as I write this.

If I still had any usable Rolodex cards from my previous life, I would have helped you get the movie green-lighted. But alas...

Anyway, enough of that, does anyone know for sure if Chuck is still with us?

This is a fantastic video of Chuck discussing his early days. The big take-away is how sincere, humble, and genuine this guy really is.
    http://www.eaavideo.org/video.aspx?v=90876499001

19. Jun 4, 2015 #19

Aesquire

Aesquire

Aesquire

I haven't found an obit.

Never met the man. Never heard a complaint about his character. Role model and Pioneer. .

20. Jun 4, 2015 #20

Pops

Pops

Pops

I saw Chuck demonstrating the CGS Hawk at a airshow at Beaver Co. Pa. in the early 80's. Can't remember the year, maybe 1984, very nice person. I was an airport bum at Beaver Co. airport in the 50's when I was a kid. That is when you could buy a nice J-3 Cub for $250 but who in the heck had $250.

Dan

Topaz likes this.