CGS, Hawk Aviation is closed & put up for sale.

Discussion in 'The light stuff area' started by danmoser, Nov 8, 2014.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jun 15, 2019 #61

radfordc

radfordc

radfordc

I've owned a couple of Hawks and consider it the best of the best ultralights! But, even at it's lightest it's not 254 lbs....but I won't tell if you don't. Are you sure that you're plane isn't in airworthy condition now? If so why not fly it first and then think about upgrades. I bought my second Hawk in San Antonio, TX and flew it home to Kansas City. Long trip with many stops since it only had a five gal tank and cruised at 55 mph.

I am also 6'2" and did install the curved overhead spar carrythrough. It's somewhat of a pain in the butt to install but gives nice headroom. My plane also had aluminum sheet on the nose due to a previous owners forced landing tearing up the bottom fabric. I replaced all the envelopes as well. Other mods were a BRS chute, streamlined fairings for the wing struts which added 7 mph to the cruise speed, hinged doors to replace the zippered flaps, and replaced the Rotax 447 with a 503 which gave another bump in speed but needed a 10 gal tank to go anywhere. I flew her to Oshkosh once in around 2004 or 2005. I also taught myself to do simple aerobatics in the Hawk...loops, rolls, spins, etc.

Hope you have as much fun with your's as I did!
    me and Hawk.JPG

2. Jun 15, 2019 #62

Daleandee

Daleandee

Daleandee

You could always put a 1/2 Vee-dub on it ...

Dale
    N319WF

robertl likes this.
  3. Jun 15, 2019 #63

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Is that addressed to Chuck Slusarczyk?

In case you’re not aware, Chuck is out of commission at the moment. He just went through heart surgery. He is doing well, and they’re about ready to move him out of ICU and into a regular cardiac recovery room. He is upbeat and hopes to be back in circulation soon.

dragon2knight and Bill-Higdon like this.
  4. Jun 15, 2019 #64

Derswede

Derswede

Derswede

BMCJ, it was, and thanks for the update on Chuck. Let him know we are keeping him in prayers, hope that he makes a full recovery!!

Derswede

dragon2knight, Bill-Higdon and bmcj like this.
  5. Jun 16, 2019 #65

Derswede

Derswede

Derswede

It is home, blew a tire in the trailer 4 miles from my warehouse! Murphy's Law. Plane is OK, got the majority of it into my warehouse this PM. Sails must be replaced as the fabric is badly sun damaged. Will need to re-rig controls and will replace most of the cables, get rid of the wasp's nests, etc and clean out a couple of years of sitting idle. Nothing major, just the time consuming detail work until I am sure it is safe enough to crank up and get moving. Always felt more secure with a strut design vs. the cable braced models, no kingpost, easier to hanger and I do not really trust cable bracing. Just me, as I saw a quicksilver style plane crash one day, you could see that one side had lost the wire bracing.

Derswede

6. Jun 16, 2019 #66

Derswede

Derswede

Derswede

Wow, glad I did not try doing anything with the plane. Nose wheel fork failed rolling it around to get into my warehouse. Nosewheel shaft completely rotted, quite corroded. Anyone have experience in converting a nose dragger into a tail dragger?

Derswede

7. Jun 17, 2019 #67

robertl

robertl

robertl

World a two place Hawk work with a full VW ?

8. Jun 17, 2019 #68

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Yes, but not relevant to your interests. I was converting a Cessna 172. Don't open that closet McGee!

9. Jun 17, 2019 #69

Daleandee

Daleandee

Daleandee

I have no idea but it certainly would be a challenge. Seems the biggest concern with a VW in pusher configuration is cooling.

I knew a man that built a 2180 and put it on a Rans S-12. It had a belt redrive and would get the airplane up and gone in a hurry. But he gave up as he could not get it to run even remotely close to cool. On a few of his first flights (actually he had someone else do the deed) they were reporting CHT temps as high as 600ºF! I told him but he already knew that no engine is gonna live long like that. He tried several fixes before he gave up and installed a Hirth two stroke; which seemed to be another mistake, but I digress ...

Dale
    N319WF

robertl likes this.