Quantcast

Cassutt - looking for anyone who knows anything about it

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Don January

On post #1400 I treated you like a total jerk and it has been in my mind ever since. I had no right to treat you like that, I apologise. I would do this in a private message but others deserve to hear it because they also read what I wrote and it was wrong.

Over the years I've obviously said things here I regret but this particular one really has bothered me for a long time and it's the one thread I remember. Again, I was a jerk and had no reason whatsoever to respond like that.

Mike

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I wanted to give it time to sink in before saying the following.

A couple days ago I cut the Cassutt fuselage in to pieces in, threw away the welds and saved all the straight sticks I could salvage. This decision was not something that happened quickly, I've given it a lot of thought and came to this decision slowly with my 3 kids and my wife. That is to say we talked about it over a period of weeks.

I love this thread and everything about it. I still feel the Cassutt is a great airplane for anyone who's ideally suited for what it offers. My life has changed rather dramatically over the past couple years and especially over the last few weeks. The Cassutt, as much as I like it, no longer fits my "mission" and probably never will.

I still enjoy building however, I always will. I had to come to grips with the idea that I may only be able to make one airplane in my lifetime. Nothing is for sure of course but as it sits right now my time in the shop and in my life to work on airplanes is limited. I had to decide what I really want out of this and what my goals are etc.

I decided to build a two seater. I decided to build a J3 Cub replica. I have zero plans to fly it, zero finish date, zero schedule, and zero dreams of hurrying up to take it to Oshkosh. I picked it because it has two seats and my kids can feel part of something they could potentially use. I've always loved Cubs in fact it was a J3 that I soloed and trained in. My wife loves them as well. This could take me 20 years, 5 years or never. I'm ok with that. I decided to have an adventure in Cub building simply as a means of blowing off steam and having fun.

In the meantime I'm looking for either a airplane to purchase or go partners in and just let the chips fall where they may.

I felt I needed to explain this because I still receive messages, emails and conversation about Cassutts and I don't want anyone to think I hate the airplane or think it's bad. If you like it then you should buy, build or fly one. Under no circumstances should you let my decision influence you. I started this thread with a question and it grew very large and there's a ton of information in it. That is great just in itself. My life looks different now than it did when I started it, that is all.

Mike

JIC

I know where you are coming from Little Scrapper, I have started four aircraft projects and finished none, Three I sold and one I did as you cut it up in pieces.

My first project was a Cassutt , had it about half down when I sold it to two young men in Colorado.

Don't give up on the building another project, I'm going on 76 and I'm thinking of starting another aircraft project, I may not finish it also, but at least I'll be doing something I like doing.

JIC
Jim C

Tiger Tim

Scrapper, glad to hear you’ve found some clarity on it all. I hope you post progress on your J-3 project but will understand if you don’t want the implied pressure of doing so. Have you decided on long wing or clipped wing, or does it even matter at this point?

I'm going on 76 and I'm thinking of starting another aircraft project, I may not finish it also, but at least I'll be doing something I like doing.
Go for it! I knew a fellow who decided on his eightieth birthday that he was going to build a Fokker Triplane, then did it.

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Look at the serial number on the Wag Aero plans.
IMG_20181208_142549020.jpg

IMG_20181208_142539793.jpg

I also have a newer set from a few years ago.

Anyhow. When I first got in to aviation I wanted a Cub and and a older guy (88) who I'm still friends with gave me his set he never built. The 6th set ever sold. I've had this old set for years as it was the first set of plans I got.

I have no plans to do anything except make one fitting at a time. I'm gonna treat this very different than what I've done before. I need to.get myself in a position where everything I do on it is because of fun, no rush, no schedule no plans. Clipwing? Long wing? No idea. I'm gonna not think too hard about it.

I'm even hesitant to start a build log here. I just don't want to feel pressured, lol.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
My build log is a copy of the pictures posted for the JMR on this site. I do not keep track of time when having fun. When working on the airplane project and it starts feeling like work, I stop and do something else.
I also do not wear a watch or own a cell phone. I can judge time close enough by looking at the sun and my body clock. Good for about + or - 10 minutes. IF that isn't close enough, I'm to busy.

don january

Log Member
Mike. First I have to say that your motivation and energy brought out in your Cassutt build and your wall built Mini-max will be missed by me and I'm sure others. As far as a build log for the cub I have found mine to be fun but yet stress full. I'm a lot like Pops in the time around me and my plane it's "My time" I was down working on the plane today and looked forward to the wife yelling down the steps to let me know lunch in 8 minutes not that I was hungry but needed a break from that subaru engine sitting on my work table waiting for me to get the last piston in the hole. I'm proud of you to communicate your feeling's with us all. I guess the point I'm trying to make is a aircraft build should be your own personal goal and any honey do's just have to take precedence over the build to make all around you content. I never thought I could build again with out my fathers help but I was wrong. Some folks like to garden and some like to watch the plants grow.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Mike. First I have to say that your motivation and energy brought out in your Cassutt build and your wall built Mini-max will be missed by me and I'm sure others. As far as a build log for the cub I have found mine to be fun but yet stress full. I'm a lot like Pops in the time around me and my plane it's "My time" I was down working on the plane today and looked forward to the wife yelling down the steps to let me know lunch in 8 minutes not that I was hungry but needed a break from that subaru engine sitting on my work table waiting for me to get the last piston in the hole. I'm proud of you to communicate your feeling's with us all. I guess the point I'm trying to make is a aircraft build should be your own personal goal and any honey do's just have to take precedence over the build to make all around you content. I never thought I could build again with out my fathers help but I was wrong. Some folks like to garden and some like to watch the plants grow.
In this high stress world everyone needs a hobby or something to do that is relaxing and enjoyable to do. My wife makes quilts, she has one room in the house all set up for quilting and I'm not allowed to touch all of her tools with permission :) On the SSSC, build she did let me cut all the pinking tape with the nice tools and tables she has. Besides building airplanes I also like to garden. I raise a large garden each summer and raise enough to give to my neighbors. Save seeds and grow all of my plants. Don't have my 22'x 30' greenhouse finished because working on airplanes. This is the first winter in about 4 years that I haven't raised hydroponic tomato's in the hanger by the patio doors. Have to use a latter to cut the plants down for the 12' high wall. Nice to have fresh tomato's all winter.
My daughter is a master gardener and tries to teach me something, now that's a job.
I love to see people working with their hobbies and having fun.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I also think its a great idea. You don't build an airplane to have an airplane. Go buy an airplane and have fun flying it and build an airplane because you love the fun of building. And then one day the fun of building is over and then the fun of flying it begins. Then you will be looking for the the next fun build. Its a madness I tell you, its a madness :)

Dennis DeFrange

HBA Supporter
I think that a Cassutt scaled up about 20% , maybe 30% would be the perfect airplane . I bought the Lasher Renegade that was in the Fly Market at Oshkosh back in 2012 . Same plane as the Cassutt but built alot lighter for the Formula V class with VW engine . I weigh in at 240 and stand 5' 10'' . Gettin in it was about like puttin on a pair of wet socks and gettin out was even more fun but I really liked it . It was not a flying airplane , I just bought it cause it was cheap . I gave $900.00 for it and toted it home . Sold it to a fellow in St Louis Mo. It sets in front of a body shop now . He turned it into Dusty , as in the Airplane movie . He had already recreated Tomader , the wrecker and now uses them for attention getters in front of his business . And for everything in the thread above , build because ya love it , not for whatever others think or say . Most of um couldn't build krap for theirself anyway but they always have a frickin opinion and couldn't lend a helping hand , even if ya ever lost yer mind enough to let um . I get the same krap but I'm gonna do what I want and love every minute of it . That's why I retired .

JIC

I know Elden Lutz, he helped me on my Cassutt build. This has been several years ago now.
The last time I saw him has been a several years ago too. It was at his home in Boise.

da2000ex

Not at all what I expected to see...I figured that Tom Cassutt would be designing a refined, better version of the 11M thin wing for his third Prototype, but clearly this looks like a modified design from a 111M thick wing. The gear is very thin, and that saves weight, it is 'curved' to have the necessary bending strength being so thin..... The wing, however, IS different than a 111M......The spar lamination schedule has been put to the front side of spar, the airfoil is different....more laminar than the 111M wing, the ailerons are short with wing fixed trailing edge at root, there are More wing ribs than the standard 9 ribs per panel.....The wing hold down clamps are similar to Shoestring racer method....Less AN hardware cost, bolts are shorter, go thru bushings welded to plate cups....
I won't deny that this is Tom Cassutts work, Its just totally different that what I expected to see, and I have a hard time believing that this would be a lighter airframe than the little 11M thin wing that came in around 444 pounds empty.....Don Berliner, noted Midget racer Historian, said that Tom Cassutt claimed that his third Midget was to weigh 390 pounds empty, with a C-85.......I don't see this airframe potentially that light...
I also highly doubt that Charlie Lasher would be teamed up as co-designer/collaberator with Tom Cassutt...Charlie was a Aeronca Guru, but his design abilities were way behind the Genius Tom Cassutt. The Lasher Renegade FV wing proves that...barely a 5 'G' wing, as compared to Tom's 12 'G' wings. As Well, I don't understand how this airframe got nicknamed the 'Miami Project',,,the Miami Project was the nickname for Charlie Lasher's Skunkworks,,the 'Southern Aeronautical Corporation' of the early thru late sixties.....Would like to hear more about how this is substantiated as being Tom Cassutts final efforts....

da2000ex

The "Miami Project" Cassutt is for sale. Rather Historic. Charlie Lasher & Tom Cassutt built? Ed will fill in the blanks but I think he said they were shooting for 390#. Again, Ed is the source of knowledge on this not me. Anyhow, here are some photos. Notice the unique wing clamps.
View attachment 60786

View attachment 60787

View attachment 60788

View attachment 60789

View attachment 60790
3 years latter I realize that the little beastie behind is the DA9 ?? Is it still flying?