Quantcast

Buying these books...anything I shouldn't bother with/get instead?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Inverted Vantage

Formerly Unknown Target
Hey everyone :) So I'm pretty set on the theory and aerodynamics bits (at least book-wise; still need a bit more time to figure everything out completely)...so to begin getting a better idea of the structural aspect, I was going to order some books on the subject. After doing some research on this forum, I came up with these titles; are there any others I should grab (doing a composite aircraft)?

Design for Safety - David B. Thurston

Stress Without Tears: A primer on aircraft-stress analysis requiring no advanced mathematics - Tom Rhodes Ph.D

Composite Airframe Structures - Michael Chun-Yu Niu (Gonna save this for later, it's the most expensive of the lot).

Understanding Aircraft Composite Construction, Second Edition - Zeke Smith

and

Advanced Composite Techniques - Zeke Smith

Thank you :)

orion

Those will give you a bit more background and understanding but the best are:

Aircraft Structures by Peery

and

Analysis and Design of Aircraft Structures by Bruhn

Inverted Vantage

Formerly Unknown Target
Gah! Wow those are pricey! I'll put them on my list for later though, thank you.

I've heard Bruhn's very dry and technical though; is there anything in the style of Raymer (not so much simplified, just easy to read and less textbook-esque)?

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
I like Design for Flying as an introductory book.

Skip everything by Martin Hollmann.

Most people consider Theory of Wing Sections by Abbott and von Doenhoff required reading. It does give some info on all sorts of stuff...

Inexpensive and excellent reads are GA Airfoils by Harry Riblett and Light Plane Design by Ladislo Pazmany. Get them from the EAA.

And anything that Orion recommends, get it sometime...

Billski

zk-jkw

Bruhn is very good, expensive and unfortunately quite dated (but still the gold standard). Niu has tried to cover the same material and is more recent...

Airframe stress analysis and sizing,
Michael Niu
Amazon.com: Airframe Stress Analysis & Sizing: Michael Niu: Books

Followed by his structural design book which contains more reference data (more appropriate to heavy aircraft though):

Airframe structural design: Practical design information and data on aircraft structures, Michael Niu
Amazon.com: Airframe Structural Design: Practical Design Information and Data on Aircraft Structures: Michael Chun-Yung Niu; Mike Niu, Mike Niu: Books

Last edited:

Inverted Vantage

Formerly Unknown Target
Thanks guys :) Ordering tonight, added Niu's book to the list (a bit cheaper than Bruhn).

etterre

Thanks guys :) Ordering tonight, added Niu's book to the list (a bit cheaper than Bruhn).
If you're going to get Niu's composite structures book (I don't have it, but it's on my list), I'd skip Zeke Smith's books. Zeke offers a pretty good overview, but it's at the sort of level you might need to convince a tin-basher friend that fiberglass and carbon fiber are pretty cool without getting deep into the math. If you still want it and haven't ordered it yet, I've got the first edition of Understanding Aircraft Composite Construction and I'd be happy to sell it for $10

lgroulx2000

Hi,

I purchased a good used copy of Analysis and Design of Aircraft Structures by Bruhn on Alibris. I can't remember the price but it was reasonable.

Larry