Brutality Today

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by choppergirl, Aug 4, 2017.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Aug 5, 2017 #21

Aerowerx

Aerowerx

Aerowerx

The jobless rate was announced today as 4.3%, the lowest it has been in 16 years.

209,000 new jobs added just last month.

Stock market soaring.

Have you really looked lately?

2. Aug 6, 2017 #22

don january

don january

don january

CG, unless your your own best friend? why not find a person who is into planes and the to do list you have set up and team up and reach your goal's? Life is much easier if you have a partner.;)

3. Aug 6, 2017 #23

rbrochey

rbrochey

rbrochey

You're very creative CG.. why not offer a website builder business... I need one built and don't have time or the graphics knowledge you do. And like me, I think you live remotely, which is fine for that kind of business. Besides, as you know, the whole corporate greed model won't work... a jungle filled with snakes. So advertise your obvious talent and get going on your plane (or hanger, whichever strikes your fancy!)

Pops likes this.
  4. Aug 6, 2017 #24

Aerowerx

Aerowerx

Aerowerx

Or create your own business cleaning out old barns:). Who knows. You may come across a mothballed surplus L-1.

5. Aug 7, 2017 #25

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

[​IMG]

I spent about 3 days digging up centipede grass from the nice patch we have above (see the rows dug out?), and transplanting about 50-60? plugs of it behind the barn in the cleared area, and also around my house and other cleared areas. Centipede grass is da bomb (versus say that evil tall highway grass we have), it takes over and hardly ever needs mowing as it stays very short, but it grows really slow. Anyway, lots of work digging and wheelbarrowing. I need to buy a new car battery for the lawnmower before it will become useful, as it's just too much trouble so far to jump start my dead battery every time I want to use it.

[​IMG]

This is how tall and thick (give enough time) it gets, these transplanted plugs were not mowed. Well they were, but I don't think my dad's bushhog blades even hit them.

[​IMG]

Next, I sorted my tools, and ordered them by the ones I use most. Tool things were getting pretty mixed up and hairy after lots of projects. I'm finding out I should of built two red shelves instead of one, because that's about how many I need. I have yet to put the back on it and the 4 casters I have, and also the drawer rails, maybe when I move it out into the barn, because then it will make sense. I think I use about a quarter of my tools over and over and over, and the rest, hardly ever.

[​IMG]

I locked myself out of my house today by forgetting my house keys, so I actually had to crawl through my window and through that middle part of the red shelf, after pushing the green tool tray down on the rest of the tools and out of the way. So look at the picture, and imagine me half through that second shelf (where the bottom green tool tray is), and the other half sticking out my window :-/ Had to get in though, I had Star Bars melting outside!

Next I spent some time frosting the barn with photoshop pixels, because those are the best for keeping out the rain... I love the kind of pixels that come $7 to a can...

[​IMG]

The edge has been torn to hell from the wind, so if you ever thing about adding a hang over to your barn, don't because it catches the wind. I think I'm going to fold this over the edge and then frost it, after I trim off the excess so it doesn't look ghetto on the side. Still debating it.

[​IMG]

It actually took me less than 2 minutes to whip up that photoshopped picture with the arrows. Its a lot easier to see what I'm trying to communicate with a quick and dirty picture, than say... if I describe what I am thinking like in the paragraph below....

Changes to plans: I've discovered a more serious problem after doing some measuring after looking at my mock up pictures and going out to the trailer with my measuring tape. If I have my plane on the trailer, I'm going to need a 10x10x30 space, not 10x10x20. Which means I'm going to have to extend the barn in the front, which is a major undertaking. Two more telephone poles, lots more tin. But one problem at a time, we get the materials first to fix the lean to.

For my doors, on the back, instead of the windows, I'll put those on the front with a nice view of the Pecan Orchard (and not on the sunny back side like in the photo). And where the windows are in my picture, I'll put swinging open barn doors. And then in the middle part of the barn where m plane goes in, for doors, on both front and back of the barn, I'll put according type doors like on your closet, that fold outward in the middle. I don't think I'll have them on a rail system, unless I add a rail up top. But there will be no need to hang the tongue sticking out once extended to 30. And if I want to keep the truck still connected to it, I'll just leave the door open. Yes, I can probably spend time backing a 30 foot trailer in and out, but can you imagine how upset I would be if in haste I screw up and the back end of my trailer with the wing tips sticking out crunches into something? Best go for laziness and make the barn like a tunnel. If I have the clearance to make the turn on the other size without smacking the tail end of my wings against the barn on the way out. 26 ft trailer is a long trailer... :-/

Insulating it is probably an impossibility, so no worries about cracks between the doors. Mostly it gets way too hot in the summer time, so having lots of swing open doors will help with that, maybe some cross flow air, and allow me to drive things (like my lawnmower tractor) in and out.

I could finish the plane first, but then, where would I put it, esp. the finished wings? My dad keeps filling up his shop with tractors. Worse case scenario, should I give up, I end up with a barn with a few improvements made on it, and more space to store stuff. If I can get my airplane out of my living room, into the lean to, or everything moved out of the center of the barn and into the new lean too.... and move the fuselage into there, than that will be a step forward in the right direction.

I thought the starter on the S-10 may have been dead, but after testing it's old battery on my lawn tractor... it can barely turn it over... so now I'm thinking I just need a new battery for it, the starter might be just fine. If I can get that horse trailer moved, I can pull the S10 out in my front yard like with the tractor and a chain and see if I can get some fresh gas in it and get it to turn over. They parked it because the engine was making some kind of racket they couldn't figure out where it's coming from. I read online sometimes it's the catalytic converter (as opposed to the valves or moving parts). I'm thinking, even if the engine is horked, I could really get brutal and buy a new one at Pullapart, and swap it out, but ohmigod that would be brutal. Cheaper though than buying a new truck by a lot, but then you're working for the cost savings with lots of sweat equity.

The humidity is so high, and it was getting dark, so I decided to paint all my trailer in lemon juice to derust it some more... as it would be a good time for the lemon juice not to evaporte for a long while but do a little work. I tried an experiment with adding a little baking soda to make it foam up, to see if that would help it linger longer, but no go. I've read some people use ketchup which sticks longer, but I don't want to have to wash or scrub off that mess after it dries... I may try it though and see what it does on some rusty test piece.

I need to flip it over and do the underside, and then maybe just take it apart and replace the axles or weld some reinforcement on them, they are pretty pitted to heck on the outside, no telling how bad on the inside if they were submerged in water on periodic basis.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2019
  6. Aug 8, 2017 #26

narfi

narfi

narfi

I understand needing the barn to build and work on your project.... but do you need to be able to park the trailer inside?
    Once completed couldnt it stay in the trailer most of the time and then just pull it out and into the work area when work actually needs done?

I vote for keeping up the cleaning/organizing project to the point you can start working on it and not worry about modifying the place for something that may not be necessary.

7. Aug 8, 2017 #27

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

I like the idea of double protection of both a tin roof and a vinyl trailer roof. It may be a long time before I build an enclosure for the trailer, since I have a lot of local airports around me to fly out of. But yeah, working on a barn/hanger, truck, and trailer is kind of a sideshow distraction and not central to flying*, and probably not of any interest to anyone around here, who already may have a hanger, workshop, or truck under their belt. They can simply ignore my thread as of no interest to them and put their nickel in the other threads.

I just share my pictures for anyone (some stuck as a dreamer, perhaps?) who is bootstrapping up from absolute ground zero like I am, to share that there maybe be a whole lot you might have to do (and can do in the interim) if you're starting from zero to fly, beyond just directly working on, building, and finishing a plane (as if that weren't enough work itself). Plus, I like the variety of switching up, so I'll probably work on all of them a little at once... and move them all a little forward at the same time.

I probably should read back and answer everybody's comment, but my mind is elsewhere...

Anyway, have a free calculator... Aircraft Super Calculator 7.5.1
    http://chrusion.com/BJ7/SuperCalc7.html

I could just go straight to building a trailer and no hanger/barn, but you'd have to roll it out and pull the wings out every time you want to work on it outside, as there is no space to get around things packed in a tream, and it'd be nice to leave things where you left off working on them like inside a barn would provide. This pulling things out, and then having to put it all away when a storm cloud shows up, sucks and is for the birds.

~

*You might think. But if you land your plane off field, what are you going to go fetch it with and bring it home on, and where are you going to store it while you repair it? Better to have a truck, trailer, and hanger to pick it up asap and store it in... on standby before someone else shows up to write you a ticket for landing in someone's gourd patch. I think of it all kind of like my barest minimum NASA ground crew support vehicle systems. An electric wench with long cable might be nice too if I ever have to pull it out of a river or bog or briar patch, I can't pull a 250lbs plane out of that kind of mess by myself.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  8. Aug 8, 2017 #28

stuart fields

stuart fields

stuart fields

Choppergirl: I have made available a cy. of an article written by George leloup for the Experimental Helo Magazine. The title was "Dig Dirt or Fly". Of all the posts on this forum, you seem to be operating in an area that George accurately describes. If you are interested, send me your e-mail address and I'll send you a copy. The article is about 6 pages. George was an airshow helicopter pilot.
    Stuart Fields sfk@iwvisp.com

9. Aug 8, 2017 #29

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

Starts at Page 11.

Perhaps, but I don't want to always be breaking my neck, to get around two 18 foot x 4 foot x 1 foot thick wing sections in the living room of my 60 foot trailer.

Get out a tape measure and measure 18 feet in your living room, and then 4 feet up, and then 2 feet thick, and you see what I mean... and that's just for the wings.

The fuselage is another 18 feet x 4 feet wide x 5.5 feet tall... and then we have the 5.5 foot tall rudder, 10 foot wide elevator, 8 foot wide horizontal stabilizer...

I have a sneaky suspicion Volmer Jensen's garage was about 18 feet deep...

[​IMG]

So yeah, if I want my living room to live in (back), I need to dig some more dirt before I proceed. As unrestored junk, the alluminum tube wings can hang against the rafters in the barn for now, but once restored and covered with something, they need to be a bit more cared for.

If I build this lean too, I'll have 10x20x10 space to store and work on the whole plane with the wings off, albeit I won't yet be able to park the plane while on the trailer in the barn. That extension can maybe come later.

Scavenging some raw materials from a collapsing barn deep in the woods, in sweltery Georgia summer heat, with mosquitoes, ticks, and worst of all... gnats, is where the *real* brutality begins.

I haven't even really started.... this is just me getting started, wacking a few briars, playing with some grass, getting black tar all over my hands...

Building essentially a kite with a motor and you strapped to it... is kind of a ludicrous undertaking. Someone told me today I was weird. Cool, but weird.

I sure wish I could stumble upon an empty unused building I could use for free... there seems to be a lot of them in the world, I just don't happen to own any of them.

10. Aug 8, 2017 #30

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

I've "dug dirt" FAR too much. I've got well into 6 figures 'invested' in tools and shop, along with a bunch of time acquiring and taking care of same. Lots of builders here have accomplished far more real airplane building than I have with not much more than a single stall garage and a half dozen hand power tools. :emb: Sure the tools come in handy for other things, but those are J..O..B..S - not what I want to be doing. :cry:

Go build the plane! When it's ready to fly then worry about the rest. Until then be cheap and stingy with your time an money. If it isn't needed for construction don't do it, don't buy it. When the plane, and you, are ready to fly, fly it as often as you can. We have to have balance in our lives. Too much preparing and too little doing just causes frustration.

Should mow my lawn - but it won't take any longer next week than it will today. I've got a hole in my shop roof right now that lets the rain in on my shop desk. For now that's OK because the water I don't need to work at that desk right now and the expensive tools are still well protected. I'll fix it before the snow flies. Maybe just patch it till spring comes around again? I've got airplane stuff in front of me that is finally getting done.:ban:

11. Aug 8, 2017 #31

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

[​IMG]

If I really want to get flying as absolutely soon as absolutely possible, I could build this lean to, frame up a plyboard floor in on concrete blocks, move the plane into it and finish the plane, and then when done, put a quick and dirty plyboard floor and some wing supports on my rusty trailer, and use my dad's truck (which already has a hitch) and tie down straps to haul it (under 45 mph) to the airport.

Back the trailer up to it, load the wings and fuselage onto it, take it to the airport, fly it, bring it back, and offload it back into the lean to if it looks like rain. If not, leave it on there and go flying the next day, and the next day, etc.

That still brings me back to building the lean to (or cleaning out some other pre-existing place). So I'm like, okay, get on with it. I'm sure I blew a year or two on here, what's a month or two building part of a barn.

Not looking forward to it, but what ya gonna do. Keep telling yourself how awesome it's going to be to fly through that sky, while you dig that dirt.

I'd call it faith, but I don't believe in faith. I believe in moxie and true grit. Overthrow reality to your will, even though it has no interest in complying with your wishes, dreams, and desires. Get brutal.

~

I'd be flying then and you guys could hoot and holler about me doing an engine run up and then bouncing on the runway and skidding around in the air, but... I can still expand and finish all the other plans to polish it out... while I'm already flight capable.... my own truck, a longer hanger that can house the plane on the trailer, and enclosed trailer that has a frame that has been derusted and repainted first...

See, by sharing, plans get improved and modified... I'm not averse to input if it cuts me a clearer path through the jungle.

Wait until you guys see this old barn I'm getting my parts from, you're going to love it.... I kind of hate to destroy it... it's got a pathos.... it's like a secret lost attic in the woods... a ghost on the very edge of returning to mother nature... pretty much yeah like my plane.

12. Aug 9, 2017 #32

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

I think I want to fly with the paramotor guys, they fly the way I want to fly, between everything...

It'd be like my big pink bomber, surrounded by a bunch of little fighter planes, following them down on the deck in to it, as much as my wings would allow.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2019
  13. Aug 9, 2017 #33

mcrae0104

mcrae0104

mcrae0104

Armchair Mafia Conspirator HBA Supporter

I'm a lot less concerned about the plane being ready to fly than the pilot.

14. Aug 9, 2017 #34

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

I took a free ride in a paramotor (ppg) simulator at Oshkosh. Strap into a harness and reach overhead to pull on the lines just like a real one. With a virtual goggles it was very good. Easy to fly. The hard part is launching (a real one).
    A flight of 30 ppg came in to land at Oshkosh.

image.jpg

15. Aug 9, 2017 #35

Tom Nalevanko

Tom Nalevanko

Tom Nalevanko

Pray tell, are you a pilot?

Thanks,

Tom

16. Aug 9, 2017 #36

Tom Nalevanko

Tom Nalevanko

Tom Nalevanko

A bunch of the PPGs were lighted and flew after the STOL competition at Oshkosh when it was dark. Most spectacular show done with very limited means/investment! Was like something you never saw and I have been to a lot of airshows. (The STOL competition was pretty good too.) Unfortunately not many air shows/gatherings are at night or this team would have promise.

Blue skies,

Tom

17. Aug 10, 2017 #37

TFF

TFF

TFF

I think most here know this one.

Attached Files:

mcrae0104 and thump like this.
  18. Aug 10, 2017 #38

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

You can only die once, and after living on this ****ty planet for a while, it might be an upgrade...*

I don't know if I want to fly with an engine strapped to my back, but I wouldn't mind flying *with them*. Looks like a paramotor flies the same speed as my plane.

Appealing thing to me about a paramotor, would be that it looks like you can take it just about anywhere, and fly it out of about anywhere you have 100' of grass, in a high mpg car like a Honda CRX, with a wheelchair platform off the back, or in the back of a truck.

Add a nylon tent into the mix, and a credit card in someone else's dog's name, and you're off and running for one hell of a wild super scenic vacation. As frugal as I can live, that would be a very long vacation. Wonder how much it would cost to check all that rig into transcontinental flight baggage...

~

*After watching aircraft videos for probably 2 years, reading PDFs, collecting airplane parts, derusting steel and polishing aluminum, making 1000 posts, and shuffling pixels around... the only flying I've done was about 10 minutes in a 60's Mooney Ranger that was about to fall apart. I can pretty much sum up my feelings about my homebuilding experience at around this point, in five words or less... "Fed up with this crap."

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
    rbrochey likes this.
  19. Aug 10, 2017 #39

Twodeaddogs

Twodeaddogs

Twodeaddogs

You have to keep plugging away at it. Every now and again, just go out on your motorbike and roar your head off and churn up some dirt and then get back to the daily grind again. You will have an end result of an aircraft, you just have to keep at it. Im in the business 30 years and there are days when it sucks the joy right out of life but for me, a flight usually recharges my mental aviation batteries. Don't give up!

rbrochey likes this.
  20. Aug 11, 2017 #40

Aerowerx

Aerowerx

Aerowerx

If you want to try a change, there is a lot of land available on Mars. 10,000 acre plots, and no building codes. All you have to do is homestead it for 5 years and it is yours for nothing!;)

Seriously, you are fortunate to live on such a planet as ours, considering the alternatives.