Brutality Today

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by choppergirl, Aug 4, 2017.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. May 15, 2018 #61

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

Kids bounce much better than us old farts. It means childhood is the best time to make mistakes.
    I was a part time child slave. I wholeheartedly endorsr it.

2. May 15, 2018 #62

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

My father one time asked me after completing some forgotten task "Where did you learn to do that?"

"I learned this and that by watching and helping you .... and took it from there." I'd hardly call it some form of slavery. It was an opportunity too many have never had.

Derswede likes this.
  3. May 15, 2018 #63

Derswede

Derswede

Derswede

Had forgotten one thing that happened much later. Was working in a plant that was a division of Exxon. I was running the International sales group for South America. As I had started out there as an engineer, an OSHA review included my name on it. The inspector walks into my office, looks at the partially assembled unit that was there (New design for one of my customers) and asked why a sales guy had "that kind of stuff" in my office. I explained, he said that if I was doing such work, I had to wear safety glasses at my desk, protective gear, etc. He then noticed a couple of photos that were on my desk, which showed our old hangers, and a couple of our planes. In asking about them, I did mention that my brother and I had poured the concrete, hung the steel and roofed the hangers. He pondered that, asked how old I was at the time of building the hangers (15) and then said, "I would have driven up to your house and had your father arrested!!" I laughed and said, "Government car and guy coming up our drive, you would never have made it to the top." Heck, we had a couple of weeks around harvest time when all the guys were allowed to take off time to help harvest, then would work to make up the missed schooling. Making things too soft for people just makes them lazy and unprepared for life. TANSTAAFL. There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Derswede (off to look at a poor Baby Ace. Found a set of wings for it, recent build, if I can get the Ace cheap, a little rebuild time and I may have something.....)

Aerowerx likes this.
  4. May 15, 2018 #64

Aerowerx

Aerowerx

Aerowerx

Doing your own business on your own property? OSHA has no authority in that case, and would be trespassing. Unless your dad had his own business and hired you to do the work.

5. May 15, 2018 #65

TFF

TFF

TFF

I think the paper shoved in front of a judge to arrest your father would have him fall out of his chair with laughter. There is a lot of difference between child labor in a factory for pennies and helping out a family business or project. Unluckily, most government jobs devolve into protected status welfare.

6. May 15, 2018 #66

Derswede

Derswede

Derswede

i agree with all of you, but it was a Gov't guy there to protect me......hahahahahaha....wearing safety glasses at my desk and family projects...tho the aircraft rebuild part was a company. Were we paid????? Room and board, otherwise, get back to work! Also lived out in the sticks....gov't guys not allowed. (for ChopperGirl....Copperhead Road). There were at least two stills that I knew of within 4 miles. Govt cars were noticed 10 miles out.

Derswede

7. May 15, 2018 #67

wanttobuild

wanttobuild

wanttobuild

Under 3 hours! Wow, you must be in awesome physical shape!

8. May 15, 2018 #68

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Not total hours, under 3 hours meant that's what I have left.

Physically I'm no too bad though. I'm a plumber so I lift things all day every day. Water heaters up and down stairs. Under sinks. Carrying toilets around.

I'd like to think I'm in decent physical shape but I'm still overweight...... working on it though.

9. May 16, 2018 #69

rbrochey

rbrochey

rbrochey

Ketogenic diet Scrapper... trust me in this.

E28POWERM20, Hot Wings and TejasNW like this.
  10. May 16, 2018 #70

Pops

Pops

Pops

Lots of people today think that they are little gods. Living with my Grandfather, we grew or killed everything that we ate except for the few thing we needed like sugar, coffee, etc and loaded up the horse and buggy with eggs from the 250-300 chickens that we raised to trade for the items that we needed from a country store about 7-8 miles away on the road. I worked from 4:30 am to dark 6 days a week on the 100 acre mountain ridge farm to eat. Every Sunday morning I killed 2 chickens for dinner and after dinner we would hook up the horses and buggy and take about a 10 mile trip visiting relatives and old friends. Grandfathers farm was just about 2 miles from where his family hid out to miss the march to OK, so most of the people around the area were relatives. Lived in a shack of a house that had 1/2" cracks between the boards in the walls and floors with newspapers glued over inside walls to keep the snow out. Gee, where are all those do good gov people when I needed them to spend someones else's money. Like you , there were several stills on the ridge. A game warden walked 6/7 miles out the ridge one time and was met with a gun pointing at him and told to get off the ridge and not come back. First and last time.

Derswede likes this.
  11. May 16, 2018 #71

TejasNW

TejasNW

TejasNW

Amen to that, Brother. It works.

E28POWERM20 and rbrochey like this.
  12. May 16, 2018 #72

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

$100 burger - no bun.:gig:

E28POWERM20 likes this.
  13. May 16, 2018 #73

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Lol, no, not a chance, I'm very well read on diet and eating. I'm not gonna get in to it but Keto is a fad diet, another reborn Atkins diet that just won't die already. I lose weight every week slowly but consistently and have a ton of energy because my diet is healthy carb based. I eat potatoes literally 4 out of 7 days a week and usually eat 3-5 potatoes when I do.

I'm a very healthy Vegan and good carbs are very healthy. The keto trend is already dying. Loosing weight and being healthy are two different things. Colon and prostate cancer and meat, eggs, dairy etc are an absolute direct link. You literally couldn't pay me to go on Keto diets, I personally feel that's like playing with the devil.

Anyhow, should probably keep on the airplane discussion. I don't care what you eat I just know what my new lifestyle is and it's permanent.

BBerson likes this.
  14. May 16, 2018 #74

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

I got ill a few years back as my body developed an intolerance to many veg. I promptly fell off the veggie wagon... I'm on a paleo-esque diet now. I keep my carb intake low and eat fish daily. I stay away from HF corn syrup and don't do much sugar. Glycaemic index is a good judge of carb quality. You can lower the GI of typical breakfast cereal by adding sugar...
    If you have something that already works for you, stick with it!

15. May 16, 2018 #75

Aerowerx

Aerowerx

Aerowerx

Fastest way to loose pounds is to bet on an English horse race.

E28POWERM20 and Derswede like this.
  16. May 16, 2018 #76

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Depends on your goal

17. May 16, 2018 #77

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Glycemic index is a measure of, well, glycemic index. That’s about it.

18. May 16, 2018 #78

rbrochey

rbrochey

rbrochey

Fad? No way... I've gone through two cancer operations and study extensively, plus one of my best friends is a doctor, and a researcher for Johns Hopkins finding a cure for childhood diabetes.. he is an expert in the field of diet and nutrition... is my age and has proven to me how effective keto is... I lost eight pounds in two weeks and am healthier that I have ever been... reduce your carb intake to less than 20 g per day, burn fat not sugar, and don't eat sugar in ANY form... not even honey.

19. May 16, 2018 #79

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

2 weeks is a fad, 2 years is a lifestyle. If you like is that's fine but that doctor should at least give you the studies on the relationship of cancer to meats, dairy, cheese, oil etc. It's readily available information and you don't need to be a doctor to read it.

Good luck. Let's talk airplanes.

20. May 16, 2018 #80

rbrochey

rbrochey

rbrochey

Weare talking airplanes if you want to fit in the cockpit of the one you're building.. My doc friend flew with me for my cancer biopsy in Michigan and rode the train back to Albuquerque, we talked a great deal about "diet" and cancer... The book to read on THAT subject is "The Metabolic Approach to Cancer"... very basically the keto diet is what our species ate since the beginning if their evolution... how many weeks is that? Cancer cells (yes you have them too, we all do) live on sugar, our bodies were not designed for sugar, and that includes all sugar producing foods like bread products, pasta, rice, potatoes, just about anything white turns to sugar... our bodies are designed for ketosis functioning.. so this, in short, is the only non-fad diet, because it's not a "diet" it's how our bodies are designed to function. That's all I'll say about it.