Brutality Today

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by choppergirl, Aug 4, 2017.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Aug 11, 2017 #41

don january

don january

don january

CG stop "boo hooing" and get your plane done! I myself have all the faith in you and have some goodies but away for you. One step at a time just like the print's say.

Aerowerx likes this.
  2. Aug 11, 2017 #42

Aerowerx

Aerowerx

Aerowerx

Yes, just do it! You waste far more in fretting over something than if you screw it up and have to start over---and at least you have gained experience.

3. Aug 21, 2017 #43

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

Well this is a new twist on brutality. Someone I love and care about today, told me flat out, in front of everyone, my plane will never fly....

:mad2: <-- for lack of a snarly emoticon

How many of the rest of you run into this... I get the stupid plebian majority thinking you're eccentric or mad for building a flying machine, you have to be a bit crazy or off kilter to build an airplane in your "garage", but this is just mean

Otherwise, Hanger is progressing... progress mostly slowed by a stretch of insane humidity that will not let up with summertime heat outside...

Someone writing their third book on Aircraft Wrecks of Northern Australia emailed me out of the blue this week, and said they interviewed a 92 year old woman that was there when my grandfather walked into the cattle station after parachuting out of a marginal P-39 he was joy riding in that lost liquid cooling near Charter's Towers, and he's going to have a little section in his book about it. So I've been sending him all kinds of photos and stuff to use. He also said they found the propeller, which I find kind of hard to believe... I'll believe it when I see a picture of it.

Blue2 = my grandpa --> made best spagetti sauce ever
    Blue for "Blue Flight" / with Blue painted Prop Spinners

[​IMG]

Going towards Columbia, SC tomorrow to see the Eclipse with my uncle and his telescope with solar filter capable of camera mounts and lots of welder helmets and goggles, ice water and snacks... so maybe I'll get some eclipse pictures.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2019
  4. Aug 21, 2017 #44

TFF

TFF

TFF

You can either prove them right or wrong. It is as simple as that.

don january and choppergirl like this.
  5. Aug 21, 2017 #45

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

Fred Hagen (who you might be familiar with from the Swamp Ghost) hiking in to see Blue1 / Sully's Marlee 2 P-38. Marlee 2 flew next to my grandfather's on missions.

Does anyone recognize that round wheel looking thing laying on top of the wing?
    Maybe part of the supercharger? A control pulley? Engine part? Access panel cover?
    There's another one (or the same one) sitting on the wing root next to the cockpit. :-/

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2019
  6. Aug 21, 2017 #46

Tiger Tim

Tiger Tim

Tiger Tim

So? What are you going to do about it? Seems to me you can either sulk or build an airplane to fly.

Prove them wrong. Move forward on your project. Accomplish something tangible on your airplane every day, no matter how small, and eventually you run out of things to do.

Pops, cheapracer and rbrochey like this.
  7. Aug 21, 2017 #47

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

I'm going to kick ass and chew bubble gum, that's what I'm going to do...

[​IMG]

I've notice Little Scrapper is now employing child slave labor in his build thread to beat me into the air, so I have to step up my pace, if we're going to sink to that level... :p Quick to hate on millennials, but not above using them for labor to finish his plane apparently. Anyway, irrelevant.

I don't sulk, I have a license...

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
    rbrochey likes this.
  8. Aug 21, 2017 #48

Mark Schoening

Mark Schoening

Mark Schoening

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Sorry CG, I must mention that some of my fondest memories were with my dad, learning, working, and "slaving" in his shop. I can only hope your facetious comment was meant in jest. However, the humor was lost on me.

Throwing a dirty, worn out glove into the face of posters on this blog accomplishes nothing, save a diminishing return on the respect one receives, irrespective of one's license.

Perhaps a description, serial # and in depth info on your "airplane" would result in a plethora of help and parts and suggestions aimed at accomplishing what we all desire: To get up there, and look down on humanity.

Let's spit out the gum and kick that airplane's ass.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
    BJC likes this.
  9. Aug 21, 2017 #49

Aerowerx

Aerowerx

Aerowerx

Whenever someone makes such "it won't work" comments to me, I go ahead and do it anyway, if nothing else just to prove them wrong!:)

10. Aug 21, 2017 #50

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

My 12 year old son has worked on more airplanes than you, lol. Let that sink in.

He could O/A weld at 7-1/2 years old. He can TIG weld. I'm really proud of him, I never pushed him at all. He decides he wants to do something and he doesn't mess around, he actually does it. I literally have to tell him to stop or he'd go all night.

So it's not slave labor by any stretch, it's parenting. My fuselage will be fully welded in under 3 hours by the way. As long as you keep playing with lawn mowers, graphics, and long stories unrelated to building airplanes I'm pretty sure I'm safe from you catching up to me.

11. Aug 21, 2017 #51

narfi

narfi

narfi

I think that is just good parenting.......

Here you have 6 weeks in the life of a 7yr old.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Don't worry about beating Scrapper, just make sure you are flying before Landon is done with his plane.... He needs to finish the canoe, make me a power boat, then he will start on his plane, probably a Zenith 750STOL.

spaschke, don january, Pops and 3 others like this.
  12. Aug 21, 2017 #52

Autodidact

Autodidact

Autodidact

That's what a kid needs, to spend his/her days learning how to do things - especially like how to build things; the feeling of accomplishment and the resulting self confidence is priceless. I think Choppergirl is almost always joking a little bit - best to take it in that vein...

don january and Pops like this.
  13. Aug 21, 2017 #53

Aerowerx

Aerowerx

Aerowerx

On a tangentially related note...

Saw a report on TV last week, from England I think it was.

There are two places over there that have playgrounds for kids. Essentially they looked like what we would call a junkyard here in the USA. There is a fence around it, and parents are not allowed in.

The kids get in there and have fun, while learning what the world is really like. They even showed one 10 year old girl that stepped on a nail.

Think about it, compared to how most kids in this country are raised.

don january likes this.
  14. Aug 21, 2017 #54

Pops

Pops

Pops

That will be one boy that will not be getting in trouble. He will be to busy having fun.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
    don january likes this.
  15. May 13, 2018 #55

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

[​IMG]

I painted 1680 square feet of roses red... so far... 9 more 4'x6' pressboard shelves to go tomorrow (35 done of 44)...

[​IMG]

Ug, got a splatter of silver enamel paint on my eyeball... fortunately it did not stick. Except to my eyelash and the skin around it.

[​IMG]

Running out of room to put boards painted red on both sides to dry.

[​IMG]

My idea for a semi-transportable barnstormer circus tent hanger is to have 2 parallel rows of 3 racks each, with a space between them of about 8 feet, and a roof over them, for a small ultralight hanger of about 16' x 24'... similar in layout to the storage container shed idea... which might fit two ultralight fuselages and the wings for them (off).

Definitely a white and red and silver stripey and/or red and white square airport hazard color theme going on.

[​IMG]

I'll like cover it in Silver Tarps or something... a red and white stripey roof would be nice but maybe just solid silver to reflect as much heat as possible... and flank the front entrance uprights of the hanger with my rudders, but I want to make two super durable versions on some metal signage foundation instead of cardboard like pictured below:

If it's all not high enough to clear the tails, I'll raise the whole thing up on some concrete blocks... or just because, to get it away from the ground if it rains.

Choppergirl's Flying Circus - made with 100% scrounged and scavenged raw materials, junk, & other people's trash. I'm the queen of scrounge! :)

Last edited: May 13, 2018
  16. May 13, 2018 #56

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

You want something like this as a temporary hangar.
    If moving a show by S10, you won't want to be loading up storage racks.

Keep those MDF boards out of the rain, they are made from witches!

I'm attempting to design a 103 that will fit on the back of my S10. A long trailer is a no-no where it will live. A short one would need unhitching to turn. It has occurred to me that the most impressive thing I could do at an airshow is unload it from the truck, assemble and take off. After that, it's just a slow plane that can't do anything very impressive to an airshow crowd. Unless, perhaps, somebody had set up a party tent that I could strafe with a toilet roll cannon...

17. May 13, 2018 #57

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

Check out this $400 short Kolb Trailer on Craigslist

That MDF pressboard is indeed heavy as !@#$%^. I had to make three trips to bring it all home because it was so heavy and weighed the truck down. *However*, I do not need any of it to support the frame, it's entirely optional, and just adds weight to keep the mess from blowing away should I not stake it down.

I'm painting it just so it will be a bit more moisture resistant, particularly on the edges where it's cut, but I have no plans to leave it in the weather. Think *extra protection* should it get wet. Cause press board will swell up and get ruined. On the factory surface it has a coating, but not on the edges where it was cut. I could of just painted the edges, but pfft, I got the paint, I can go whole hog. Just lots and lots of labor.

However, I just came up with an idea why I would *want* to carry the pressboard shelves.... as bloody heavy as it is... and I don't have to carry it all, just what I need.

I could set up a store inside using all those shelves, selling aviation nick knacks and curiosities and canned iced drinks and packaged snacks and such . People come for the free airshow, they leave with an optional purchase! Like a toy airplane for their kid or what not, I'll have a weird curiosity shop collection. Not so much to make a lot of money, but just something more fun and interesting to do and add to the attraction, things to see and touch.

That way I can fund the gas for it all. I'm won't be making money from an ultralight... my wacky little ultralight airshow is free. The poor can come and go without spending a dime and enjoy the show. Everybody else sells junk at an airport so, so can I... so the FAA can suck it!

Another idea..

The shelves could also be used as a whole lot of bunk beds (8'x4' surface area, as long as nobody is taller than 8' ;-D )... for friends or a cosplayer troupe or some airshow cheerleaders... while camping... inside the tent... you can space the shelves at whatever height you want them... and they sure as heck are strong enough to support people on top of them, walking, laying, or otherwise. The triangle metal support bars go under them, as many as you want to put under each board (2, 3, 4, 5, etc).

*You can be boring and build an airplane to fly from Point A to Point B* I don't care about either Point A or Point B, they are both the same * the shortest and most boring distance between two points, is a straight line... I have no intentions to ever fly in a straight line.

Last edited: May 13, 2018
  18. May 14, 2018 #58

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

I made these rather large and sturdy Book Ends today out of scavenged and dumpster materials, to store my press board shelves on their edge when not in use. They slide in and out of each other.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Purple stuff is dumpster grass carpet, orange thingees are plastic tar paper nails... to keep my new red paint job from getting scuffed up.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 15, 2018
    pictsidhe likes this.
  19. May 15, 2018 #59

lurker

lurker

lurker

late to the party. nevertheless,
    1. print
    5. goto 1

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  20. May 15, 2018 #60

Derswede

Derswede

Derswede

I'll see ya one, Lurker and be one later than you. I was definitely a "Child slave." We had more "projects" going in a year than your typical EAA club in its lifetime. 3 Monocoupe 110 Specials, a Monocoupe D-145, two Pitts, a Luscombe, a Waco ARE, two hangers for the planes. I've hung steel, welded a bunch, painted, assembled, disassembled, figured out things, and consider it MUCH better than any college education. That type of childhood prepares you for most anything. My current "Job Title" Is JOATMOS. Jack of all trades, master of some.

Think it was Heinlein that made the comment that a human should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, fix a good meal, fight efficiently and die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

Always liked that quote. LEARN and DO! I do not regret not having fancy vacations, or going off to some summer camp. My camp was whatever I built after hiking a day or two. My parents never seemed to worry, I was normally armed in some way and knew where I was going ( at least the general direction.) In my opinion, kids today are pampered. Offered to pay a couple of local kids (17-18 or so) for some help pulling the engine out of a Volvo of mine....they went home and asked their mothers if it was all right. All came back and said, "Too Dangerous." Did it myself. At their age, I had rebuilt several cars, as well as airplanes. I learned a lot working on my father's projects. Do I have scars? Yup. Do I regret those scars? No. I learned what to do and NOT do. Made a good living off of it, even tho I do not have an MBA or a PHD. So, "Cheap child labor" is a beneficial thing. If you are a person who learns. I read what Pop says, and respect the man for DOING.

/Rant off//

Derswede

pictsidhe likes this.