Quantcast

Aero News Network Video - Terrible Raptor 1st Flight Review

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Roy LoPresti and company did some development on fairings around the perimeter of wheel wells on the bottom of wings. I can't remember if it was on the Mooney or another type of airplane he was fiddling with (Swift?). But he got some very worthwhile results IIRC.

That said, on an aircraft that is supposed to be cruising at (insert brochure number) miles an hour, there really needs to be flush gear doors.

Jay Kempf

Curmudgeon in Training (CIT)
Lifetime Supporter
Don't think that video says the engine is "packed up." It might be at this point but this video seems to be all about all the cooling mods and tuning mods he is going to do. If the engine is "packed up" then it should be removed and inspected.

Volzalum

Don't think that video says the engine is "packed up." It might be at this point but this video seems to be all about all the cooling mods and tuning mods he is going to do. If the engine is "packed up" then it should be removed and inspected.
At the end of the video he says his car's engine crapped out and that due to that he needed to find new vehicle and would be delayed on Raptor work. He was talking about his automobile, not the Raptor's engine.

Jay Kempf

Curmudgeon in Training (CIT)
Lifetime Supporter
At the end of the video he says his car's engine crapped out and that due to that he needed to find new vehicle and would be delayed on Raptor work. He was talking about his automobile, not the Raptor's engine.
OK, a study in somewhat vague vague and misconstrued references on my part. The Raptor engine is a car engine and it is an Audi. Had no idea PM drove an Audi as well. Noted.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Has the Audi car company been made aware of this project, and the use of one of their engines on the Raptor? If Peter could have at least basic access to their engineering people, some of the answers to the engine issues could be presented to him in a way that he might accept.

Meaning, if any HBA member (no matter how educated or qualified) called him and tried to explain why he needs to remove one of the turbos... based on what I have read so far he might not care. But if the Audi engineers tell him that he needs to remove a turbo, maybe he would accept their level of knowledge more easily.

This of course assumes that the Audi company would be willing to help, based on the idea that preventing one of their engines from being implicated in a disaster news story is worth the time, risk, and liability of even talking to him.

flywheel1935

Its his car engine that packed up, it's also an AUDI,hence my comment regarding the use of a car engine in an aircraft.:eek:

rv6ejguy

Has the Audi car company been made aware of this project, and the use of one of their engines? If Peter could have at least basic access to their engineering people, some of the answers to the engine issues could be presented to him in a way that he might accept.

Meaning, if any HBA member (no matter how educated or qualified) called him and tried to explain why he needs to remove one of the turbos... based on what I have read so far he might not care. But if the Audi engineers tell him that he needs to remove a turbo, maybe he would accept their level of knowledge more easily.

This of course assumes that the Audi company would be willing to help, based on the idea that preventing one of their engines from being implicated in a disaster news story is worth the time, risk, and liability of even talking to him.
Actually I believe a VW or Audi engineer did comment telling him the same thing I told him 2 years ago about the turbo mismatch. He's chosen to ignore the advice and reasoning. That word hubris comes up again... Yesterday he labelled knowledgeable engine guys and engineers who tried to help him "know-it-alls".

I wouldn't think that Audi would want anything to do with the project- one of their engines modified by someone with no engine, turbo or EFI background, attached to a homebuilt aircraft that he designed also with no background in AE, structures or systems design.

flywheel1935

Has the Audi car company been made aware of this project, and the use of one of their engines on the Raptor? If Peter could have at least basic access to their engineering people, some of the answers to the engine issues could be presented to him in a way that he might accept.
It appears from the Raptor YT Videos that one of the actual designers of his engine has offered verbal assistance to solve the power and cooling issues, & as I understand it, (to date,) PM has not accepted any help in that area. I also worry as to his 'solution' ref the vortex issue within the wheel wells. I would have thought that even a low hour PPL would have a basic understanding of aerodynamics, and by fitting 'stall breaker strips' , instead of covering the wheel openings would be obvious ??? I gather he is now going the cover the openings with alloy sheet and duct tape !!!, why not a foam block and tape, (much less damage to the prop when it falls off). Try as I might not to follow anymore the ongoing saga of this flawed project, it seems that like a moth to a flame, I, and many others just can't wonder where the next ill conceived solution to self inflicted poor design ideas will lead. Going back to the wheel well issue??? if a proper Raptor was actually built, then the u/c would fill the wells within seconds of leaving terra-firma, so what's the problem !!!!.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
I am pretty sure the test pilots agree the gear should not be retracted on initial test flights.
I don't know what test pilots do about the excess gear drag (if anything) on an underpowered design.

Wanttaja

I wouldn't think that Audi would want anything to do with the project- one of their engines modified by someone with no engine, turbo or EFI background, attached to a homebuilt aircraft that he designed also with no background in AE, structures or systems design.
IIRC, the Vickers Vimy replica ~20 years back originally had BMW engines, with BMW support. The company pulled that support, and the Vimy folks were forced to find another engine.

I would not be at all surprised in Audi decreed that they would not sell parts for aircraft engines, and made it as hard as possible for someone to use one.

Ron Wanttaja

Alessandre

I already had a broken car engine because I trusted those preparers who said they knew everything about reprogramming chips to improve the car's performance, it happened that on a trip the piston of my engine was punctured, the diagnosis was a bad mix. After that I had the opportunity to visit an engine lab in a VW factory and saw that the job of adjusting the injection curves takes months and many hours of testing, so I think it is unlikely that a guy with a laptop thinking he understands everything about engines wanting to make their own arrangement succeed, I would use an automotive engine, but I would never dare change the fuel injection arrangement. The fact is that it has changed the engine so much that it is getting less power from it than the factory original mounted on an SUV.

Wanttaja

I suggest that this thread be merged with the original Raptor thread. The point has been made, and it would be nice to have all the comments quarantined in one thread.
And, actually, this thread has suffered severe drift. The title refers to an "ANN Network Video" and no one is talking about THAT anymore. On that basis alone, it should be merged with the original Raptor thread, or a new thread should be started referencing the appropriate Raptor video.

Ron Wanttaja

TFF

The thread is about the Raptor, that equals drift. He is too small potatoes for the factory to even recognize unless it’s a stop order using the name. That an engineer would reach out and at least niceties exchanged is foolish. I doubt there is money to fix correctly. As for the wheel wells, how hard is it to cut a foam plug and attach?

Status
Not open for further replies.