Quantcast

Aero News Network Video - Terrible Raptor 1st Flight Review

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Status
Not open for further replies.

don january

Log Member
The man built it and rather wood or tube and fabric or composite it does fly and that's much more then many members can say. Personally I've heard enough about this aircraft on the forum though it is nice to see how he approaches the repairs needed to make safe and cool running aircraft.

galapoola

Maybe we could keep the moderators happy by limiting comments to "news" that covers the Raptor. Aero is a legit aviation outlet and their coverage was spot on based on the information. The host did a good job summarizing the big issues facing this project.

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
MODERATOR MODE ON

Think about it a little. We have the Code of Conduct to keep our little corner of the internet civil, technical, focused on airplanes, and educational within that realm. The Code defines the edges of what we should approach only rarely. If we repeatedly tread just inside the boundaries of what is acceptable on the basis of an individual post, we are still driving the whole thing over the edge on our principals - still violating the code. And let me point out that a lot of posts had to be deleted or edited. All of that stuff gets posts deleted, points assigned, and threads locked.

When did you last read the Code of Conduct? Pick to it here if it has been awhile:

So, ask yourself a set of simple questions before sending your post:
  • Does this add anything new to the technical topic? (Piling on adds nothing and is disrespectful);
  • Is this supported by data or intuition? If you have data, analysis, etc, please share a little. If you are sharing an educated guess, say so and give the basis too;
  • Does it accuse or imply things that we can not show from the existing data and analysis?
  • Assertions of Fraud, Malfeasance, or even Lying are harsh things and difficult to prove, so do not do it here;
  • Please watch your tone. Humor, sarcasm, etc can be difficult to pick up on in person, much more so on a thread post;
  • Can this be misunderstood counter to your point? Is it too long for what it adds? Maybe a re-write is in order.
Now as to the video, yeah "Somebody else thinks so too" sums it up. You can stop there, really.

The following is an incomplete list of inappropriate behaviour that we will delete and assign warning points on:
  • Repetition of old points and topics;
  • Piling on (using +1 to indicate same view on someone else's post is cool);
  • Character assassination;
  • Assertion of malicious intent, fraud, lying, and incompetence.
If you have any doubt check out the Code with fresh eyes and ask if you are really within the intent of the Code.

Billski

Last edited:

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
Is Raptor locked forever? Or can it be unlocked two days a week or something after each new video? From post one of Raptor it was supposed to be about following the weekly construction videos. Almost the best learning video on the forum.
But yes, there was problems with that (most popular) thread.
So I suggest a balance somehow. Seven days a week was too much for me. But if the thread is locked we can't do anything but go to his YouTube comments, which are tedious to view.

proppastie

Log Member
Character assassination;
guilty myself and as CheapRacer stated I should be better,.....talking about character of the man......it probably comes from my own design prejudices and the design variance from such. Not much more needs to be said, but I think future news might be nice, as I do not follow his channel.

C Michael Hoover

So, I watched the last two Raptor videos. In one Peter talked a bit about his efforts to keep the engine cool. Not being a thermodynamics expert, I have a question that someone may be able to answer. Peter is going to add two gallons of additional coolant to the reservoir. It seems to me that won't amount to a "hill of beans" to his cooling efforts. Can someone quantify that? Thanks

rv6ejguy

So, I watched the last two Raptor videos. In one Peter talked a bit about his efforts to keep the engine cool. Not being a thermodynamics expert, I have a question that someone may be able to answer. Peter is going to add two gallons of additional coolant to the reservoir. It seems to me that won't amount to a "hill of beans" to his cooling efforts. Can someone quantify that? Thanks
You can read some of the YT comments from a couple guys who ran the thermo calcs. 30-60 seconds more time to reach critical mass seems to be the consensus. Along with the boxing in of the HXs and cooler OAT, it may allow him to reach pattern altitude where he can reduce power to a point where the cooling system can dissipate that level of heat. That is his next flight goal it seems. It's not intended as a permanent solution but an expedient way to resume flight testing. It doesn't address the high oil temps however and since this relies on an oil to coolant HX and there is almost no Delta T between the two mediums, that will almost certainly curtail the flight times even at the reduced power settings.

Doran Jaffas

These folks really gave the Raptor a bad review
Starts at :30 mark
How about getting a review from somebody that is actually familiar with test flying aircraft. The climb rate was probably kept very shallow for a purpose.
as far as the instability goes nobody really knows because nobody else was in the cockpit. The long takeoff roll could have also been done intentionally the check stability and high speed on the ground just before liftoff. The landing that appeared to be less than stellar can also be due to the fact that they were not trying to set it on the ground in the first quarter of the runway and again they may have been checking for ground effect issues. The opinions on there by the media are basically standard for how the media actually understands anything they report on.

Status
Not open for further replies.