• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

2D CAD software with limited 3D?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cluttonfred

Supporting Member
I know that there have been many, many CAD software discussion threads, but most seem to have been focused on 3D modeling, and I have other needs.

My drafting background is limited to a class in junior high school 30+ years ago and another night course 15 years ago, both with paper and pencil, and years of sketching and messing around with old Apple products like MacDraw and the drawing modules in ClarisWorks and Appleworks.

I am looking to move up to an inexpensive, gentle learning curve program that will let me sketch out ideas and, eventually, create 2D aircraft plans and maybe files for CNC cutting. I am not looking for 3D modeling or pretty pictures, just sketches and monochrome construction drawings. However, I will need to do things like calculating the true length and shape of components (lift struts, fuselage members, etc.) that are not in the plane of the drawing.

So, two questions: Do I really need 3D CAD at all or can I get by with 2D CAD?

Either way, which software do folks recommend? For example, among 2D CAD programs I have found ViaCad from Punch!CAD that seems to be more user-friendly than most. There is also the free DraftSight from the makers of Solidworks. Other recommendations welcome!

Cheers,

Matthew

Back