1.8 oz Dacron

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

proppastie

Log Member

plncraze

HBA Supporter
Look up suit lining material. I believe Pete Bowers recommended it for the Fly Baby.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
IIRC, the Sky Pup recommends light suit lining fabric as the covering. Maybe pop down to Joann Fabric or somewhere like and get a yard to experiment with?

ADDED: Here is some for $5.99 per yard, 58" wide, your choice of 13 colors, though I am not 100% sure that this is unshrunk cloth so you'd have to ask and test it. https://www.joann.com/posh-linings/prd32708.html

Last edited:

TFF

Most of the dress store stuff is pre shrunk. You might get lucky. I have looked at Joann’s for stuff to cover model planes and I have never seen anything on the rack. Maybe order.
Fabric covered planes are getting rare to the point that most will just get the expensive stuff if they are putting in the effort for warm and fuzzies. I covered mine in the 3.4 uncertified. I had no problems, but it is seconds. There was a blemish about every ten feet than never came into play. It’s also not as wide, but that was no problem for my wings either.

proppastie

Log Member
I talked to Fiberglass Supply today....they said it was pre-shrunk and all peel ply is pre-shrunk...which I know is not true because Spruce's peel ply shrunk fine for my seat back. I have a yard of 1.8 oz from Spruce I ordered to play with and when I get this stuff in I will compare them including making shrink tests at 300 degrees.

More data to come...If it does not work out I have lots of peel ply for someone.

cheapracer

Log Member
This question sounds like "Quick, what's the phone number for 911?" ... :D

But how much does 1.8oz dacron weigh?

Is it per square yard, foot, meter?

BBerson

HBA Supporter
Per square yard. The paint doubles that weight or more.
Several of the large ultralights have used .002" Mylar. That is the lightest. Could use thicker if desired (.004, .007, etc.)

Mcmark

proppastie

Log Member
Per square yard.
There is a linear yard, which is 3 ft by the width of the material ....say 60" for the stuff Spruce sells as peel ply or un-certified Dacron.....that is how you pay.... for example if it is $4.35/yd that is for 3'x60" is how much you get......The weight is a sq yard....

I just shrunk the two fabrics I got from Spruce .... they shrunk 10% which is fine.....waiting for the stuff from Fiberglass Supply....it is possible it might shrink too.....

akwrencher

HBA Supporter
:D
This is on BS right now.
EXPERIMENTAL • AVAILABLE FOR SALE OR LEASE • Uncertified 1.8 oz.polyester fabric 48" width $ 2.75 lineal yd. • Contact Norm Douthit - NORM AERO, Owner - located San Bernardino, CA United States • Telephone: 1-888-811-2232 • Posted November 20, 2019 • Show all Ads posted by this AdvertiserRecommend This Ad to a FriendEmail AdvertiserSave to WatchistReport This Ad
Maybe it's just me, but I'm still trying to figure out how you would lease fabric.....:D

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
I am an Oratex fan but the "same price" point is only true when compared to the certified systems (Polyfiber, Stewart, Randolph, etc.). Non-certified fabric and generic finishes including latex paint are less expensive than Oratex.

Considered Oratex? They claim the same cost or even less over fabric when the priming and painting is considered.