1.8 oz Dacron

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

proppastie

Log Member
Considered Oratex? They claim the same cost or even less over fabric when the priming and painting is considered:

https://www.betteraircraftfabric.com/

FWIW,

Dale
N319WF
certainly is the newer better stuff...same cost would be if you were paying to have it done....less time for the installer at $80-100/ hr. as to material costs lots more if you are doing it yourself.....If using non-certified and say latex paint or keep in a hanger and do not finish it....no comparison cost wise.....say $4/linear yard against I see $58-65 a linear yard.....kind of hard because different widths, thickness, and metric for the Oratex....

using the Poly-fiber UL process I will be very close in terms of weight....If I did not finish it I would be less weight.

Daleandee

I am an Oratex fan but the "same price" point is only true when compared to the certified systems (Polyfiber, Stewart, Randolph, etc.). Non-certified fabric and generic finishes including latex paint are less expensive than Oratex.
Thanks for the clarification. I've seen it but never used it. I understand it can be painted but many do not as it don't need to be.

Dale
N319WF

proppastie

Log Member
My mistake I should have called before I ordered......

Just got the 1.6 oz from Fiberglass Supply.....it only would shrink 5% or less at over 325 deg.....Do not buy the 1.6 oz bleed cloth from Fiberglass Supply and expect it to shrink much to use as aircraft fabric.......

I have 33 yd x 60" wide bleed cloth I do not need. Anybody need some PM me...... If I fold it I think I can ship it much less than they did. Price 1/2 what I have into it at this point. I am not sure folding is a good idea but it would depend on how you plan to use it. It cost $36 for them to ship it to me Fed EX ground rolled from CA to NJ. If I fold it probably USPS would work out lots less.

Edit: it is Peel Ply, not bleeder cloth.

Econo-Ply J 1.6 oz. X 60" is a peel ply designed for low temperature commercial applications where cost savings is the primary concern. Econo-Ply J works well with most room temperature and low temperature curing resins and is easily suited to marine, transportation, recreation and wind power industries. 1.6 oz./yd.² (55 g/m²) Thickness .003 in. (.008 cm) Maximum Service temperature 250° F. (121 C)

Last edited:

proppastie

Log Member
on E-bay now....folded in a box and will be a reasonable shipping cost.....search "peel ply"

It will be a while till I need it so I will continue to research and shop and if I find low cost stuff that will work approx. 1.8 oz like the sample i have I will post it here. Looking at lining material etc on e-bay. Certainly will call and get samples first this time.

proppastie

Log Member
Look up suit lining material. I believe Pete Bowers recommended it for the Fly Baby.
Purchased sample of this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lining-Fabric-China-Silk-Habutae-Polyester-58-60-Wide-4-yards/322807370051?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=511936247948&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

They also sent a sample of their "taffeta"....neither one of them would shrink.....still looking....the 48" material (post 12) looks better and better except I already did the yardage calculation for 60"

plncraze

HBA Supporter
Thanks for sharing your search. In the the Fly Baby plans Bowers casually says just go to the fabric store and get this stuff. Now it doesn't exist. Ugh!

proppastie

Log Member
Thanks for sharing your search. In the the Fly Baby plans Bowers casually says just go to the fabric store and get this stuff. Now it doesn't exist. Ugh!
My guess is at one time the machinery to pre-shrink fabric was expensive....I have to wounder except for airplanes and maybe artist canvas who would want fabric that was not shrunk. If we knew that market maybe we could find it at better than aircraft prices....the artist prices are even higher.

TFF

The story goes on the Flybaby that Bowers noticed that his wife’s nurse uniform looked like polyester covering, so he took some of the uniforms and covered the tail. Think 1960 with those plans suggestions.

BBerson

HBA Supporter
I would try the stuff you bought. The 5% shrinkage might be plenty if pulled a slight bit on installation.
They used dope before heat shrinkage.

mullacharjak

Not related but nevertheless interesting.My friends make trike wings with a fabric(non shrink) which is sometimes locally available in the market for 1$/yard. The local cloth dealers import container lots of cloth from south east asia in which Rolls of this (Dacron ? ) type cloth are accidentaly included.These shopkeepers call it "Tin cloth" because it sounds like a piece of sheet metal if you agitate the cloth vigourously.It is usually considerd as Junk by them and you can get it very cheap.
My friends have found it equivalent to fabric on a Pegasus 2 seat trike wing. So keep on looking.I am sure you will find something useful.

proppastie

Log Member
I would try the stuff you bought. The 5% shrinkage might be plenty if pulled a slight bit on installation.
They used dope before heat shrinkage.
sold it ....that it was from "Fiberglass Supply" I guess the buyer knew what it was and would be able to use it. He found my post in the HBA "For Sale" section.

The more recent samples I tried from E-bay there did not seem to be any shrink at 300 degrees.

proppastie

Log Member
I went looking for it again and it is no longer in stock.....snooze you loose......wrote a letter and they said the manufacturer no longer makes it just what they said about 1.8 oz of post 1..... where as post 33 (link no longer works) they were getting a shipment in right at the end of the year.

crusty old aviator

AS&S website says they have Polywollyfiberalltheday lite and Ceconite lite in stock. Both seem to be the same stuff: same 72" width, 1.87 oz., thread count, etc., but 85 cents/yd price difference. How much they have, it doesn't say.

proppastie

Log Member
AS&S website says they have Polywollyfiberalltheday lite and Ceconite lite in stock. Both seem to be the same stuff: same 72" width, 1.87 oz., thread count, etc., but 85 cents/yd price difference. How much they have, it doesn't say.
$9.65/yard vs $4.35 yard for what they claim is no longer made....wounder where Polyfiber gets theirs.

Last edited:

TFF

The generic stuff has always been a little different than the certified stuff.

The certified stuff seems to be drying up in sorts. Ceconite and Stits used different fabrics. Even after they merged they kept the separate fabrics because of certification. Then they could not get one and modified one of the STCs to use the other type of fabric. Now there is only one style with different brand stamps.

It’s not a high demand item for a mill like clothing. It is a required item for us. I would bite the bullet and buy the certified stuff or the heavier uncertified if it needs to be cheap. It’s going to disappear in time. I wish I could buy A couple of bolts. That is what one old guy did at the airport. Bought a bolt. He is closing on 90 now. It covered six or seven airplanes in his retirement. He is out now.

proppastie

Log Member
well I should have purchased when I had the chance......would hate to purchase the higher priced spread and then the economy model shows up. I will not need it soon.......Going to the boat yard soon (next nice day probably someone will be playing with their boat) for scrap boat plastic shrink cover to test...that should be fun with no cost or potential injury.